Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/5/2020 10:20:07 PM EDT
Which .22 would you buy for your kid?  It has to be something that's good for a younger kid and has to be a good suppressor host.

This is for my son who is currently five so I'm not sure when I'll get to start him on it but its getting bought and put in the safe until it's time.  I started him this year on a suppressed AR22 I built for him the year he was born.  He did well this summer, I started him out with one round per mag focusing on safety and proper loading/firing/return to safe drills.  It's time to put his first pistol in the safe
Link Posted: 11/6/2020 8:19:38 AM EDT
[#1]
M&P 22 compact is light and fits small hands really well.  Mine has been a great suppressor host too.  
Link Posted: 11/6/2020 9:21:46 AM EDT
[#2]
My first .22 handgun when I was a kid was a Beretta Neos. For small hands it’s a great gun, it has always been a reliable gun for me and will cycle CCI Standard velocity.
Link Posted: 11/6/2020 10:22:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Ruger MKIV 22/45 Lite
Link Posted: 11/6/2020 10:43:40 AM EDT
[#4]
I bought a Ruger SR22 when my son was 10. He had no problem shooting it decent. Never a problem with pistol.
I later put a Sico sparrow on it, no issues. Son is grown now so I put the can on a 22/45 I bought for myself.
Link Posted: 11/6/2020 5:06:48 PM EDT
[#5]
I would go with a Ruger Single Six.  He can learn the basics of pistol handling.  Won't give him malfunctions like autos will.  JMHO
Link Posted: 11/6/2020 6:15:09 PM EDT
[#6]
+1 on the Ruger 22/45 MK IV lite.... Palmetto State Armory had them in stock last Friday, so I ordered one... picked it up today and put 60 rounds through it... it will most likely replace my SW M41 for Steel Challenge competition... with a big ass HS510 sitting on top
Link Posted: 11/6/2020 6:23:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Got this for my son for Christmas. 85% the size of the real thing
Browning 1911-22
Link Posted: 11/7/2020 8:44:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Lots of good options and I like the wheelgun suggestion also, but I think he'll enjoy a suppressed gun more and I can always go to wheel guns after the hook is set.  It's unfortunate there's almost nothing in stock around me, so I now have my FFL looking into both the Ruger 22/45 Lite and the M&P Compact.
Link Posted: 11/7/2020 8:59:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Ruger mk 1/2 was what we learned on. I have a mk3 now and great accuracy/reliability
Link Posted: 11/7/2020 10:17:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Harleyrkc... keep a close eye on Palmetto State Armory... the one I got came on line and was gone in a day... filter...go to the manufacturer's section and look under Ruger rather than daily deals or elsewhere...
Link Posted: 11/7/2020 11:10:38 AM EDT
[#11]
I have a Mark II that I love and a pair of GSG 1911 with all the CW Accessories upgrades swapped in.  So part of me just wants something different in the stable.  I try to put something away every year for him.  The kid already has a few rifles and one shotgun, so it was time to diversify.  I'm excited for the coming years as more of this stuff can come back out of the safe as the time is right
Link Posted: 11/8/2020 10:23:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would go with a Ruger Single Six.  He can learn the basics of pistol handling.  Won't give him malfunctions like autos will.  JMHO
View Quote

Also, the pain of reloading the single-six will encourage him to carefully aim each shot. More than once, I have worked with a kid (and adults) who just can’t resist dumping the mag rather than carefully taking each shot. Teaching basic marksmanship early-on can make a lifetime of shooting accurately much easier to master.
Link Posted: 11/13/2020 12:02:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Damn you guys.  The M&P compact .22 looks like a great option but I don't have a rimfire revolver.  So I ordered a pair of the M&P compacts for us and now I'm looking at revolvers.  I guess I'll get both.
Link Posted: 11/13/2020 12:18:27 AM EDT
[#14]
If you run across a S&W 622, don’t buy it.

Not buying it will save you a Lot of money the next time you see one.

Seriously, they are great pistols, perfect for your needs.

ETA, I snagged a (used) Ruger Wrangler today for $150.  Not as good a deal as it sounds, they are $200 new. Stopped by the range on the way home, it’s a shooter.  And it’s light weight, would be great for a kid.  I would have given anything to have had one when I was a kid.  But Gunsmoke and Bonanza were on TV back then too.
Link Posted: 11/13/2020 12:22:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Which .22 would you buy for your kid?  It has to be something that's good for a younger kid and has to be a good suppressor host.

This is for my son who is currently five so I'm not sure when I'll get to start him on it but its getting bought and put in the safe until it's time.  I started him this year on a suppressed AR22 I built for him the year he was born.  He did well this summer, I started him out with one round per mag focusing on safety and proper loading/firing/return to safe drills.  It's time to put his first pistol in the safe
View Quote

22/45 lite if it's for a really little kid, or a 22/45 tactical if they're a little older.  Throw a red dot on it.
Link Posted: 11/13/2020 12:40:56 AM EDT
[#16]
I’d get something in 9mm with a 22 conversion kit, that way they can “upgrade” to centerfire later in, and be familiar with the gun.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top