Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Colt
Site Notices
Posted: 2/14/2022 2:31:54 PM EDT
At the gun show Saturday, a gentleman offered me a Colt revolver. It was a 6 shot .38 Special with a 2" (appx) barrel. It felt very light, on par with a SW 442. I asked him what model it was and he called it a 38 Special.

Is this enough detail to determine the model?
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 2:48:34 PM EDT
[#1]
There will be a model number on it you can look up. Sounds like an "Airweight" or "Featherweight"
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 2:52:46 PM EDT
[#2]
.38 Special is not a model but Colt made .38 Special 2" guns as Police Positive Special, Detective Special (essentially same as Police Positive Spl).  I think they may have made the Army Special/Official Police as a  2 or 2 1/2 inch gun.  These are all 6 shot revolvers but the AS/OP and later Trooper are built on a larger frame.
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 5:05:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Colt made three generations of detective specials the first or second are pretty light and six shots.

Link Posted: 2/14/2022 5:41:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Cobra, the alloy framed version of the Detective Special.
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 7:29:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Is there a model of these revolvers that has the shrouded ejector and shorter grip?
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 7:40:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mick214] [#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Hay_Bale:
Is there a model of these revolvers that has the shrouded ejector and shorter grip?
View Quote

Starting sometime around the early the 70's, the Detective Special, the Cobra and the Agent all came with the ejector shroud. They should have markings on the barrel to let you know what exact model he has.
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 7:48:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TNZ71] [#7]
1st one is an alloy Agent, 2nd steel Detective Special, 3rd old style Det Special all 6 shooters

Link Posted: 2/14/2022 7:56:58 PM EDT
[#8]
The third model Detective Special and the second model Cobra both had the barrel shroud and short grip frame. I don't believe that the Police Positive Special model ever came with a barrel shroud. The Cobra model has just been re-introduced by Colt using a totally new lockwork design, and has the barrel shroud but I am not sure about the grip frame size.
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 8:13:29 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm going to have to track this guy down I guess.

I was making the deal on a Smith when this gentleman steps in between me and the promoter of the show. He starts asking about my gun and was told that I had just bought it. He then pulled the Colt out of his pocket and offered it to me. I asked if it was a Detective Special or a Cobra and this is when it got confusing. He called it a Colt Special, not a 38 Special, well I had never heard  of that model.

The finish looked like it was dipped in motor oil. The bluing was as nice as you will find and I really thought it may have been refinished. The grips looked brand new as well. By the time I counted out the cash for the Smith he had wandered off so I never even got the chance to look it over to find the model.
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 8:17:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Hay_Bale:
I'm going to have to track this guy down I guess.

I was making the deal on a Smith when this gentleman steps in between me and the promoter of the show. He starts asking about my gun and was told that I had just bought it. He then pulled the Colt out of his pocket and offered it to me. I asked if it was a Detective Special or a Cobra and this is when it got confusing. He called it a Colt Special, not a 38 Special, well I had never heard  of that model.

The finish looked like it was dipped in motor oil. The bluing was as nice as you will find and I really thought it may have been refinished. The grips looked brand new as well. By the time I counted out the cash for the Smith he had wandered off so I never even got the chance to look it over to find the model.
View Quote
The one that got away.
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 8:21:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By GSPatton:
The one that got away.
View Quote

Tell me about it. I have an even better one that will haunt me forever.
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 10:13:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By engineer61:
The third model Detective Special and the second model Cobra both had the barrel shroud and short grip frame. I don't believe that the Police Positive Special model ever came with a barrel shroud. The Cobra model has just been re-introduced by Colt using a totally new lockwork design, and has the barrel shroud but I am not sure about the grip frame size.
View Quote

Police Positive did come with a shrouded barrel but only for a couple of years.  I have one.
Page Handguns » Colt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top