Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/19/2021 8:20:02 PM EDT

I'm pretty sure that is a Victory model because of the grip but I'm curious why a PJ would have a worn out Victory model and not something more modern or even a newer model 15 that the Air Force was issuing. Any ideas?
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 8:49:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Probably a 1917 from a quick glance.  To add handguns have low priority also.  Maybe that's what they had in inventory and he got what he got.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 9:34:42 PM EDT
[#2]
S&W Model 15

As the "K-38 Combat Masterpiece", this revolver was first purchased in 1956 for the Strategic Air Command Elite Guard of the United States Air Force. From 1960 to 1969 the Air Force bought large numbers of Model 151, 152, and 15-3 revolvers with a 4" barrel. The only distinctive markings are "U.S.A.F" on the left side of the frame. Originally all were blued, though some were reparkerized while in Air Force service.The Model 15 was the standard issue sidearm of the U.S. Air Force Air/Security Police from 1962 until 1992.
View Quote

I don't think it's a Colt M13 Aircrewman.

It's possible that it's a S&W Victory Model or a Colt Commando.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 9:54:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Air crews were issued some pretty old sidearms even into the early 80s.  The helicopter is a husky that was in use until the early 70s.  Given that there is no silver showing on the M16s finish, I'm guessing maybe 1965/6?  

For what it's worth, the Model 15 came into service in 56 and stayed in service until 2019 as a K9 blank training gun.  So it's not impossible for the air force to use a revolver 60 years in one role or another.
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 9:23:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Victory Model based on the grips plus I don't see an adjustable rear sight.  All sorts of things were used in Viet Nam .  Holster looks like an off the shelf civilian model as well.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 12:32:40 PM EDT
[#5]
If I had to bet the farm, I'd say a S&W Victory model based on the grips. But there's not enough showing to be 100% sure.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 11:31:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Just another observation he is wearing airman first class stripes which if I recall is an E-3. Rank has privilege. If there are 30 pistols I stock they issue the nicest one to the unit commander and work down from there. So perhaps by the time they got to such a low rank guy all they had left was older victories.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 8:32:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just another observation he is wearing airman first class stripes which if I recall is an E-3. Rank has privilege. If there are 30 pistols I stock they issue the nicest one to the unit commander and work down from there. So perhaps by the time they got to such a low rank guy all they had left was older victories.
View Quote

Pssh, id rather have the victory. Especially in the jungle. Trying to keep the rust off the rear sight alone is reason enough to not want the m15 there.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top