Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/22/2023 10:42:38 PM EDT
I’ve been on a constant search for the perfect carry gun. Been a Glock guy my whole life. With these new micro 9’s I think Glock might not be the best option anymore. Then I found the SS CR920 that seemed perfect to me.
Approximately around the 500rd mark I had a FTF.
I’ve tried to replicate the malfunction but no issues since then.
It’s really bugging me. Maybe it was my fault?
Have you had a malfunction with your carry gun? What’s unacceptable? Is 100% reliability unrealistic?
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 10:51:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Yep.  My old Keltec PF9.  The ejector (tip) broke off.  Worked fine the last time I had shot it, about 4 months prior.  I had no idea I was carrying a single shot for months.

The extractor would pull the spent case and then the slide would drop it back in.  I sold that gun, but back then, there were few carry options.  Not like today.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 10:59:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Everything will malfunction if you shoot it enough.

If your carry gun hasn't had a malfunction then you haven't shot it enough.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 11:06:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Tough to beat a USP compact for size and reliability.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 11:28:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I’ve been on a constant search for the perfect carry gun. Been a Glock guy my whole life. With these new micro 9’s I think Glock might not be the best option anymore. Then I found the SS CR920 that seemed perfect to me.
Approximately around the 500rd mark I had a FTF.
I’ve tried to replicate the malfunction but no issues since then.
It’s really bugging me. Maybe it was my fault?
Have you had a malfunction with your carry gun? What’s unacceptable? Is 100% reliability unrealistic?
View Quote
You're thinking about moving away from Glock thinking that it's not that it may not be the best option for you, and then go ahead and get a real bonafide Glock clone that's an actual Glock other than name? Did I hear this right

Honestly I think that you're overthinking it. Glocks jam too if one actually shoots it enough and not spreads rumors of it's mythical lie that that they do not. FWIW I carry Glock too but am not your typical rabid twit Glocker treating Glocks the same way that they do with the Chevy versus Ford stupidity either. But it's good that you vet your guns just to make sure.

You're fine. Carry it. Shoot it. Peace of mind of no doubt really.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 11:58:48 PM EDT
[#5]
anecdote... I shot a G34.3 from 2005-2015 for USPSA pistol and 3 gun fairly seriously... fitted with a Briley barrel with traditional rifling most cartridges were polymer coated reloads... other than knocking the base pad off on a range prop, never had a malfunction... I routine polish the top of the chamber, edges of the chamber mouth, and feed ramp with a rubber cratex stone before ever shooting the pistol, and run a ceramic stone over the bolt face... I replace the sights with a Dave Dawson product... so far the G43 and 43x are 100%... it has a minimum of small springs and parts that some of the highly touted European pistols seem to share with SW... I guess I'm a fan boy
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 1:04:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Shoot any gun enough and you will experience malfunctions.  Fact of life when it comes to any type of mechanical device.  Shit wears out, parts break, substandard parts make it past QA/QC, ammo has issues, the list can go on and on.  

Shooting your gun a lot and replacing parts on a regular maintenance schedule can help avoid a lot, but not all. It’s why you should work malfunction drills into your training regimen.
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 1:32:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Total agreement here. There is a reason most shooting schools / classes teach malfunction drills.

Nothing  not even the revolver is immune.

A single malfunction should not be a concern at all. When you develop repeated malfunctions then it is cause for concern.

Link Posted: 5/23/2023 8:24:30 AM EDT
[#8]
My P07 Duty .40 went about 7 or 8 years with zero malfunctions.  A couple of years ago I had a nose up failure to feed twice in the same range session.  After that, not a single issue in the last two years.  It was not lack of cleaning/lube as I do that after every range session and sometimes when it's been carried and gotten pretty dirty/wet even though I didn't shoot it.  Same ammo I always shoot in it so I have no idea what happened that day.

My Shield Plus, so far, has had zero malfunctions.
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 8:54:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Tough to beat a USP compact for size and reliability.
View Quote

If it’s like the full-size I believe it. I have a USP .40 I haven’t cleaned in a couple thousand rounds because it’s strictly a range toy. Zero malfunctions just keep eating up my reloads
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 9:05:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Malfunctions can happen with any gun. That's why we train to clear malfunctions. Tap rack bang works pretty well. Of course buying quality firearms and maintaining them properly by cleaning often and using good mags and factory ammo can help reduce problems. But springs and parts can wear out if you shoot a lot.
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 9:07:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Other than gen 4 9mms and aftermarket magazines and shitty Russian ammo(Brown Bear).  I can't say I've ever had a malfunction with Glock
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 10:33:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Some thoughts on this and I have read messages from people claiming 100% reliability out of their carry gun with insane round counts.  Maybe they are being truthful maybe not that is not for me to decide or care.  Although my two primary carry pistol (G17 and G19) I have not had any issues with yet I will say my G43 I did have some issues.  I initially did all my testing not having any issues I was using the same carry ammo across the board till one day on a whim I decided I was going to shoot the mag of my carry ammo and change it out for fresh ammo.  That was when I realized the ammo would jam in my pistol even though it previously did not when I tested it before.  Others had reported their G43 would not feed 147gr HST mine fed it and no issue.  Well this day I guess the planets had aligned just right and I was getting FTFeeds consistently.  That was when I changed to 124gr HST and never had an issue afterwards.  Point being you can have a misfeed, a failure to extract, or eject but the question is why?  Was it the ammo, the magazine, the pistol, are springs getting weak (recoil or mag spring), or is the pistol just to dirty it needs to be cleaned?
This is where I fight myself when you have an issue with a carry pistol do you stop or continue clearing the malfunction?  One side is to discover the cause the other side is the train yourself to resolve the malfunction.  I would want to know what caused the issue and leave clearing for the fun guns.
Remember also your carry gun needs maintenance as well.  Springs wear out if you are using them the RSA and mag springs need to be replaced as they weaken from usage on a regular interval.  When I do get malfunctions more often than any other issue is mag springs are getting weak and you can kind of get a feel for it when loading the more you shoot.  Those last few rounds going in start going in very easy and the last rounds being fed into the pistol if you let it go that far will start misfeeding.
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 1:20:28 PM EDT
[#13]
If you shoot enough, you will get a malfunction (ammo, mag, maintenance or shooter induced.)

My on again, off again competition 1911s have experienced mag and ammo induced failures, that's it going to happen when you shoot 5k rounds a year. My most common failures were failure to fully chamber, usually induced by improperly sized brass. For carry/factory ammo the few failures are mag related and easily repeatable. Trash mags, back to less than one failure per 1000 rounds.

My LC9 a experienced maintenance related failure now and then from lint slowing down the slide enough to prevent full return to battery, clean it and it's back to reliable.

My Sig p239 really is the only firearm I own that I can't think of any malfunctions (other than my thumb on the slide release if I immediately go to the p239 from a 1911) but even with that, I know it may experience a mag or ammo related failure, any firearm can experience a mag or ammo related failure.
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 1:33:37 PM EDT
[#14]
On this one, not yet:

When I carried this more regularly, it consistently experienced cylinder lock with factory Hornady Critical Defense .357, so I don't carry those anymore:

This one cracked a chamber many years ago with a factory FBI load (158 gr. LSWCHP .38 +P):

To its credit, this one has never malfunctioned for me or any number of buddies across a shitload of rounds, but I should probably buy another locking block and spring set for whenever it does have problems:

Link Posted: 5/23/2023 2:24:44 PM EDT
[#15]
New one? Not so far. Old one? Absolutely. It wasn't a regular problem by any means. But it absolutely did.
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 2:32:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

This has been my experience as well. Anything good and reliable will at least not make a habit out of it though.
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 3:27:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 9:39:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Had a FTE with my G19.5. Pretty sure it was due to limp wristing. Have about 600 rounds through it. Have a few hundred rounds with my Shield plus and no issues.

I’ll get out to the range more this year.
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 10:04:06 PM EDT
[#19]
No.
If it does It goes into the safe and I run a different weapon.
I do train for failures but if a weapon has one I immediately figured out why.
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 10:05:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Issues with previous carry guns.

S&W 36 - Hammer nose broke off and fell into the internals of the revolver locking it up.

G27 Gen 2.5 - consistent light primer strikes causing failure to fire. Buddy at Glock had the armorers work it over and they never got it working right. They traded me a rebuilt Gen 3 27.

Link Posted: 5/23/2023 10:30:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Had a FTE with my G19.5. Pretty sure it was due to limp wristing. Have about 600 rounds through it. Have a few hundred rounds with my Shield plus and no issues.

I’ll get out to the range more this year.
View Quote

WTF is a FTE?
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 10:39:37 PM EDT
[#22]
failure to eject.
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 8:48:18 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
failure to eject.
View Quote

How do you know it wasn’t a failure to extract?
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 5:47:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Only Glock I've had a malfunction with is my Glock 30. Once, and it could have been ammo induced.

Zero malfunctions with HK or 3rd Gen S&W semi autos.
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 5:47:56 PM EDT
[#25]
double whack
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 6:48:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
No.
View Quote

Nonsense. Often the search is fruitless, or takes you down a paralysis by analysis road. A single malfunction is not a reason to look for a cause a pattern of malfunction is
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 7:13:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

Exactly this. All of my guns have had malfunctions.

When people say things like "my carry gun is 100% reliable" I make a mental note that they don't shoot much.
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 7:32:43 PM EDT
[#28]
I purposefully induce them. I've been saving bad ammo for decades. Whenever I get a batch of bad ammo (improper sizing, hard primers, under powered, etc), I save it and use it to test new guns to see what they can and can't do. I also keep some oddball loads and steel case crap in with my testing ammo.  I got a batch of PPU 147 grain 9mm JHP that is so underpowered, I would be slightly concerned if a new gun did cycle it.
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 7:32:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

When people say things like "my carry gun is 100% reliable" I make a mental note that they don't shoot much.
View Quote

That's been my assessment too, more mouth being ran than shots being fired.

I also subtract numbers when folks say they've shot tens of thousands or thousands by reducing it to a quarter of it maybe.
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 7:56:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Nonsense. Often the search is fruitless, or takes you down a paralysis by analysis road. A single malfunction is not a reason to look for a cause a pattern of malfunction is
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No.

Depends on the malfunction.  A fail to extract is a showstopper.  That means something is wrong.
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 8:04:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Depends on the malfunction.  A fail to extract is a showstopper.  That means something is wrong.
View Quote

It could be ammo or the pistol…. Worn or broken extractor, spring, deformed ammo, over/under charged load, dirty, and so on
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 9:06:31 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

It could be ammo or the pistol…. Worn or broken extractor, spring, deformed ammo, over/under charged load, dirty, and so on
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly.  Those things. Shouldn’t be shrugged off or attributed to limp wristing because they ain’t fixing themselves.  

Certain fail to eject and feed can be due to operator error or weak ammo, but that needs to be verified before the gun is put back into a holster.

If the ammo is good and the gun is in good working order, it will run. It doesn’t have a choice.  It’s a machine.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 11:40:36 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Exactly.  Those things. Shouldn’t be shrugged off or attributed to limp wristing because they ain’t fixing themselves.  

Certain fail to eject and feed can be due to operator error or weak ammo, but that needs to be verified before the gun is put back into a holster.

If the ammo is good and the gun is in good working order, it will run. It doesn’t have a choice.  It’s a machine.
View Quote

I must say I know people who shoot a box of plinking ammo through their pistol load it up hollow points and call it good.  The FIL used to have a Taurus TCP when I first met him and got together with the wife.  That pistol would have a malfunction just kind of randomly never consistently the same malfunction and he would carry it.  I had a long discussion with him he ended up sending it into Taurus and they replaced it with a new one.  He traded the new one in for a Ruger LC9 that has been a sewing machine.  But he carried a known bad pistol…
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 6:36:23 PM EDT
[#34]
I have a pair of Glock 17 Gen 4's with 16000 and 10000 rounds on them and neither has ever had a stoppage or malfunction.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 6:47:00 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I have a pair of Glock 17 Gen 4's with 16000 and 10000 rounds on them and neither has ever had a stoppage or malfunction.
View Quote

Not even one bad primer eh?
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 6:52:38 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Not even one bad primer eh?
View Quote
I just took a look at my round count logs and I haven't experienced any ammo related issues with them. I have have a bad round here and there over the years, but it's rare. I typically shoot ten to twenty thousand rounds a year across various guns.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 7:29:23 PM EDT
[#37]
Things that didn't happen and round count subtractions for $500, Alex.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 8:16:31 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

It’s not that hard for some.   I have a pistol range at work. I can literally pull up to my parking spot and start shooting steel out the window of my truck if I want.  

SGammo probably has my address memorized.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 8:29:40 PM EDT
[#39]
These are empties I've collected since the beginning of last year. It's about 10000 pieces of 9mm and 10000 pieces of 45 ACP. I just topped off the second bucket of 45 ACP recently and I stopped picking up 9mm a long time ago. It's all ammo that was shot by me. I had intended to start reloading, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

Here is the club I belong to. I've been a member for several years. Feel free to call them and ask them how often I (Bradd) come in. I look forward to hearing what they tell you.

Orlando Gun Club
(407) 236-9199

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/25/2023 8:32:18 PM EDT
[#40]
And I never said that I haven't had stoppages or malfunctions with other guns that I own. Gun brands and models left off.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/26/2023 2:39:04 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

This is 100% correct, I find that keeping a log for training guns helps keep me grounded. The log allows me to semi accurately perform preventative maintenance, identify trends in ammo/mags/drills, and gives me hard data to review so I wont gaslight myself into oblivion.
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 2:53:03 PM EDT
[#42]
Gen 5 26 in Georgia waiting for the upgrade.
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 8:14:06 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

This is 100% correct, I find that keeping a log for training guns helps keep me grounded. The log allows me to semi accurately perform preventative maintenance, identify trends in ammo/mags/drills, and gives me hard data to review so I wont gaslight myself into oblivion.
View Quote

Same thing it's been fantastic for maintenance and for putting malfunctions into perspective.
Link Posted: 5/27/2023 12:21:46 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

That is really not hard to believe.  I cracked off 500ish today of 9mm, 5.56, and .308 not counting several mags of 22lr.  I shook around sometimes more or less than Bradd each year.
Link Posted: 5/27/2023 12:44:05 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

That is really not hard to believe.  I cracked off 500ish today of 9mm, 5.56, and .308 not counting several mags of 22lr.  I shook around sometimes more or less than Bradd each year.
View Quote

It really is though, hard to believe. I subtract over half of what they say and then add several malfunctions.

People tie their identities and egos to their favorite things. Fishing tales happen.
Link Posted: 5/27/2023 8:27:49 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

It really is though, hard to believe. I subtract over half of what they say and then add several malfunctions.

People tie their identities and egos to their favorite things. Fishing tales happen.
View Quote
Provide the proof. I did.
Link Posted: 5/27/2023 8:43:26 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote
He's saying when guys like Jerry Miculek and Rob Leatham say they've fired over 1 million rounds it's really 500,000 because they're liars.
Link Posted: 5/27/2023 8:52:15 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Provide the proof. I did.
View Quote

Fallacy argument, nice.
Link Posted: 5/27/2023 8:52:43 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Fallacy argument, nice.
View Quote
Deflection, nice.
Link Posted: 5/27/2023 8:56:01 AM EDT
[#50]
I've had carry and competition gun failures but MOST were user error. There was a match where I forgot to chamber check my reloads as I was new to it. Did not go well.

My current carry guns will FTE if I do dumb shit with them. Same with cheap factory ammo, won't run 100%. But all those things I've done or caused to happen.

hell I somehow loaded a 45 into a 1911 mag backwards once. No idea how that happened but it did not fit. I got to clear it on the clock
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top