Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/8/2021 3:08:39 PM EDT
I've convinced myself that I need a hammerless revolver.

I'm not too familiar with revolvers but I do have a Ruger Security Six .357.

I'm looking for a small hammerless option that won't break the bank.

I'm leaning toward a Ruger SP101 5720 but I would appreciate the hive's opinion.

Edit to add: Also looking at a Ruger LCR-357 5450.
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 4:57:18 PM EDT
[#1]
S&W Model 640 Centennial.357

I carried it off & on for years when I was concerned my 1911 might “print”. Now with open carry & constitutional carry, I do t care if I print or not, but still carry concealed, 1911, all the time. Now my wife carries the 640 all the time.
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 5:32:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Smith 640

Link Posted: 5/8/2021 6:05:16 PM EDT
[#3]
I assume you are talking about a revolver that is spur-less or internal compared to revolvers that have an external spurred hammer. Ruger makes a good revolver as does S&W. The 640/642 are great guns and the LCR is a neat change with it's different grip options. I don't know if you want a .357 revolver for the sake of being able to shoot both .357/.38 ammo but a snub nose 357 revolver can pack quite a wallop. The SP101 has an external hammer but not a spur. Prices are insane on these guns now for whatever reason, as many others.
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 6:23:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I assume you are talking about a revolver that is spur-less or internal compared to revolvers that have an external spurred hammer. Ruger makes a good revolver as does S&W. The 640/642 are great guns and the LCR is a neat change with it's different grip options. I don't know if you want a .357 revolver for the sake of being able to shoot both .357/.38 ammo but a snub nose 357 revolver can pack quite a wallop. The SP101 has an external hammer but not a spur. Prices are insane on these guns now for whatever reason, as many others.
View Quote
Thanks for the explanation. I think I would prefer an internal hammer. Primarily going .357 because I already have the Security Six and a .357 lever gun.

I think I'll keep my eye out for an LCR.
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 8:50:45 PM EDT
[#5]
I enjoy my Ruger SP101s and my J-frame 638 airweight, but you might do well to take a look at a Kimber K6S:

The 3" is the lightest production 6-shot .357 Magnum for their barrel length, if memory serves.  Mine weighs the same as a 5-shot 3" SP101, but I have another round on tap, along with better sights (I was easily able to swap to 3-dot night sight front and rear due to dovetailed sights), better DAO trigger, and the dehorned shape at the rear means it doesn't poke me as bad IWB.

You definitely know you're touching off .357s with it, but this 3" with some three finger Hogues or the Comfort Core grip that wraps around the backstrap really help; far more comfortable than a 2" S&W 640 with .357.  I wouldn't want to fire a .357 LCR or S&W scandium J frame; they might be lighter, but I want to practice with it.
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 9:04:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I enjoy my Ruger SP101s and my J-frame 638 airweight, but you might do well to take a look at a Kimber K6S:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/129976/5ABA24AC-B7A3-4453-B867-05F093D27930-1523551.jpg

The 3" is the lightest production 6-shot .357 Magnum for their barrel length, if memory serves.  Mine weighs the same as a 5-shot 3" SP101, but I have another round on tap, along with better sights (I was easily able to swap to 3-dot night sight front and rear due to dovetailed sights), better DAO trigger, and the dehorned shape at the rear means it doesn't poke me as bad IWB.

You definitely know you're touching off .357s with it, but this 3" with some three finger Hogues or the Comfort Core grip that wraps around the backstrap really help; far more comfortable than a 2" S&W 640 with .357.  I wouldn't want to fire a .357 LCR or S&W scandium J frame; they might be lighter, but I want to practice with it.
View Quote

+1 one on the Kimber K6s.  While they may stretch your budget, IMO they are worth it.  My wife, daughter and daughter-in-law all have their K6S Stainless 2" barrel with a laser on it https://www.kimberamerica.com/k6s
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 11:15:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Another vote for the S&W 640. With grips you can get your whole hand on the recoil is stout but quite manageable.

Link Posted: 5/9/2021 8:12:48 AM EDT
[#8]
I think the kimbers the best option for a hammerless gun.
Link Posted: 5/9/2021 8:25:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Have they fixed the firing pin issue with dry-firing resulting in broken pins yet?  

I keep looking at the 3” DAO version, but that has given me a touch of pause.

I suppose I could just invest in good snap caps.

Edit to add: my 640-1 has been rock solid for years. Makes 357 loads tolerable vs the 340, it’s been a constant companion. I load the ‘Skeeter’ load 38s for carry, heavy enough to punch but short enough cases for easy extraction.
Link Posted: 5/9/2021 11:19:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Have they fixed the firing pin issue with dry-firing resulting in broken pins yet?  

Edit to add: my 640-1 has been rock solid for years. Makes 357 loads tolerable vs the 340, it’s been a constant companion. I load the ‘Skeeter’ load 38s for carry, heavy enough to punch but short enough cases for easy extraction.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://revolverguy.com/k6s-firing-pin-update/
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 7:38:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I keep looking at the 3" DAO version, but that has given me a touch of pause.

View Quote
I have wound up using my snap caps much more often than I figured I would, but they're useful in all of my centerfire revolvers and also my similarly chambered Marlin 1894.  And they're cheap insurance against a broken firing pin.

They tend to live in my Schofield when I'm not shooting it, but use them in my Kimber when I need some dry fire or reloading practice.
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 7:57:40 AM EDT
[#12]
I’ve always preferred Smith and Wesson revolvers to all others but the Gemini Custom Ruger SP101 was always on my want list.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 6:22:03 PM EDT
[#13]
I love my 640-1.
XS Regular size dot front site. CT padded laser grips.
This and a 10/22 Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 3:27:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Which  CT  grips are those?  the 405?   How are they with recoil?  I  have the  hard plastic  ones  on the  642 and they are worse than the factory boot grips

thanks
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 10:00:25 PM EDT
[#15]
https://grabagun.com/ruger-sp101-357mag-2-1-4-fs-ss-dao.html

In stock from a good online source, price is a function of the current market
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 11:11:42 PM EDT
[#16]

That’s good to read… it certainly puts a 3” K6 into consideration for me.
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 12:17:13 AM EDT
[#17]
Shooting my 2" lcr with full house 357 loads is no fun at all. Kinda like smacking the palm of your hand with a bat real hard. This is with the smallest factory rubber grips. Bigger rubber grips help a lot, but you lose conceal ability. I had a 640 when they 1st came out in 357, great gun, but I didn't like the weight for front pocket carry.  It would want to rotate upside down on me. So for me those are/ were some real world trade offs.
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 12:49:21 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Shooting my 2" lcr with full house 357 loads is no fun at all. Kinda like smacking the palm of your hand with a bat real hard. This is with the smallest factory rubber grips. Bigger rubber grips help a lot, but you lose conceal ability. I had a 640 when they 1st came out in 357, great gun, but I didn't like the weight for front pocket carry.  It would want to rotate upside down on me. So for me those are/ were some real world trade offs.
View Quote

I find my LCR to be not that bad shooting .357, certainly no worse than shooting +P out my Shield. The trigger has got to be the best DAO out there. It's not a handsome gun, but hides very nicely. I tried a J frame but I didn't like the grip and the way my knuckle would hit the trigger guard. So I really like my LCR and find myself carrying it often.
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 4:16:54 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Which  CT  grips are those?  the 405?   How are they with recoil?  I  have the  hard plastic  ones  on the  642 and they are worse than the factory boot grips

thanks
View Quote

If the 405 are the padded ones. Then yes i can't remember.

I like em alot better than the hard plastic.

I had the hard plastic ones awhile back and wrapping the grip with a bunch of rubber bands helped me with recoil control.
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 3:38:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

If the 405 are the padded ones. Then yes i can't remember.

I like em alot better than the hard plastic.

I had the hard plastic ones awhile back and wrapping the grip with a bunch of rubber bands helped me with recoil control.
View Quote

The LG-405 is padded model, which (coincidentally) appears to be the grips pictured.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top