Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » H&K
Site Notices
Posted: 3/22/2020 9:27:09 AM EDT
So ive stroked and caressed  this Mark 23 at my LGS for like a year. Its just sitting there all by its lonesome with no friends to play with. Ive came close several times to leaving with it, but the price is hard to swallow. Am I really missing anything with it over a USP tactical? or is it the finger of God? Inquiring minds want to know. FWIW $ 2200 OTD last i haggled.
Link Posted: 3/22/2020 9:31:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
So ive stroked and caressed  this Mark 23 at my LGS for like a year. Its just sitting there all by its lonesome with no friends to play with. Ive came close several times to leaving with it, but the price is hard to swallow. Am I really missing anything with it over a USP tactical? or is it the finger of God? Inquiring minds want to know. FWIW $ 2200 OTD last i haggled.
View Quote

I always take mine to the range. The USP not so much. I have USPc 45, USP .45, and MK23. I’d get rid of the Full-size USP well before I sold my MK23.

Link Posted: 3/22/2020 9:33:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I always take mine to the range. The USP not so much. I have USPc 45, USP .45, and MK23. I’d get rid of the Full-size USP well before I sold my MK23.
View Quote

Same here. It is a dream to shoot.
Link Posted: 3/22/2020 9:42:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/131934/0B2A15AA-CF50-4603-84A0-B17D4F72DF02-1327447.jpg
View Quote

Sweet jesus....
Link Posted: 3/22/2020 9:46:29 AM EDT
[#4]
I love mine. However $2200 seems a little high. I bought mine from a seller on gunbroker brand new in the box, with the padded case also included for something like $1850. But that was a few years ago, so prices might have changed.
Link Posted: 3/22/2020 10:05:18 AM EDT
[#5]
BIL let me shoot his 23. Fucking sweet gun. But if I was to spend $2200 on an HK, it would be on my buddy's unfired P7M8 rather than a 23.  Seems a little steep for a 23.
Link Posted: 3/22/2020 10:17:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
BIL let me shoot his 23. Fucking sweet gun. But if I was to spend $2200 on an HK, it would be on my buddy's unfired P7M8 rather than a 23.  Seems a little steep for a 23.
View Quote

Seemed a little steep to me as well but its the only one ive seen in person so i wasnt 100% sure. Ive seen prices all over online over the last year so maybe since ive checked it out enough i should just find a good deal and order one.
Link Posted: 3/22/2020 10:18:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

I’ve had a number of P7M8s over the years and I love them. I still have one last unfired Chantilly import that I’m basically scared to shoot. Not for harming its collector value but because some parts are becoming difficult to obtain. I broke a cocking piece and firing pin bushing back when I was shooting P7s a lot but parts were still available. At least with the MK23 parts are still available. And realistically other than a couple springs or some fluke I doubt any of us will break a MK23.
Link Posted: 3/22/2020 12:41:53 PM EDT
[#8]
It is the finger of "GAWD" But that one is a little pricey.

I'll tell ya this though of all my HK pistols I think it'd be maybe the last to leave.
Link Posted: 3/22/2020 12:53:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
It is the finger of "GAWD" But that one is a little pricey.

I'll tell ya this though of all my HK pistols I think it'd be maybe the last to leave.
View Quote

The last gun I’d ever part with would be my USPc .45. I shoot it better than my MK23 but then it is my daily driver and have thousands of rounds through it. But my MK23 would be my second to last to part with.
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 8:26:29 AM EDT
[#10]
In 45 I own the standard USP, Tactical, and MK 23... Here’s my take on it;

The MK 23 was a gun that was built to a spec set out by SOCOM. From what I understand, not much input was gathered from the people who would use them when the specs were created. It’s a very large gun that is built like a tank, and SOCOM got exactly what they asked for.

It seems like when designing the USP tactical, HK took their learnings from the MK 23 but actually got input from “trigger pullers.” The match trigger on the tactical is infinitely better than the MK 23, and the combined safety/decocker is much more practical in my opinion.

The general consensus is; if you’re looking for a handgun that will survive the nuclear apocalypse, go with the MK 23 (not to say the Tactical wouldn’t survive, but I don’t know if it went through the same stringent testing as the MK 23). Also, if you really have an itch for a MK 23, you won’t be satisfied until you own one. If you’re looking for a good shooting gun to use for carry or competition, then I would say the Tactical is a great option as the match trigger is so much better.

For what it’s worth, I bought my MK 23 a year or two ago used on Gunbroker for $1900, so maybe $2200 isn’t out of the ballpark for a new gun.
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 6:23:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
In 45 I own the standard USP, Tactical, and MK 23... Here's my take on it;

The MK 23 was a gun that was built to a spec set out by SOCOM. From what I understand, not much input was gathered from the people who would use them when the specs were created. It's a very large gun that is built like a tank, and SOCOM got exactly what they asked for.

It seems like when designing the USP tactical, HK took their learnings from the MK 23 but actually got input from "trigger pullers." The match trigger on the tactical is infinitely better than the MK 23, and the combined safety/decocker is much more practical in my opinion.

The general consensus is; if you're looking for a handgun that will survive the nuclear apocalypse, go with the MK 23 (not to say the Tactical wouldn't survive, but I don't know if it went through the same stringent testing as the MK 23). Also, if you really have an itch for a MK 23, you won't be satisfied until you own one. If you're looking for a good shooting gun to use for carry or competition, then I would say the Tactical is a great option as the match trigger is so much better.

For what it's worth, I bought my MK 23 a year or two ago used on Gunbroker for $1900, so maybe $2200 isn't out of the ballpark for a new gun.
View Quote
Good post.  I agree with just about everything in it....the only difference being that I paid $1400 for my about 2-1/2 years ago.

Link Posted: 3/24/2020 9:56:42 AM EDT
[#12]
It is way over built, big as a tank, expensive but man do I want one. I kick myself for not getting one when they were $1300.00 a few years ago. Prices now seem to be around $2000.00 and I can't imagine them getting lower. If they are going to go the way of the P7 series/prices, I can only imagine the cost then. Of course, you never know.
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 11:44:00 PM EDT
[#13]
I bought one but thought about it and don't really know what it's for.  It's an unfired 2020 production model, I'd let it go for 2K plus actual shipping
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 1:34:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is probably going to piss some people off, but dealer price on it is about $1790 before shipping.
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 10:16:59 AM EDT
[#15]
I know this post is a month old, and you've probably decided one way or the other by now.  But thought I'd add my 2 cents.

I didn't see where you said if it was new or used?  $2200 seems a little steep, especially since you said it was the haggled price. But I don't think it's too far out of line if you really want it and considering that's out the door (the shop is eating about $100 in sales tax out of that).  It's not like the Mark 23's pop up that often for sale, so if you pay a little more for one that you get to hold in your hands and see in person first, then it's not too bad.  Since it's been there for a year, maybe tell them you've got $2000 cash, whenever they're ready to sell it?

Better deals are out there though.  I love mine, it's one of my favorite guns to shoot suppressed.
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 2:28:50 PM EDT
[#16]
I'd only consider it if you already have a .45 silencer
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 10:16:58 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

This is probably going to piss some people off, but dealer price on it is about $1790 before shipping.
View Quote

Yeah they make good markup beyond 2k.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 2:12:38 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Jeeps-And-Guns:
I love mine. However $2200 seems a little high. I bought mine from a seller on gunbroker brand new in the box, with the padded case also included for something like $1850. But that was a few years ago, so prices might have changed.
View Quote

Same here. I bought it off gunbroker and it was new unfired but didn't come with any box or manual. It did come with two magazines. I don't remember the exact price but it was in the 1900 range which at the time I thought was a great deal. This was in 2013-4 time frame.

I recommend OP keeping an eye on gunbroker to get a deal.

The mark 23 has been really great to me. It's wonderful to shoot and it's a great gun.
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 5:00:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Is the MK 23 still in production?  Seems like they are out of stock everywhere.
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 10:57:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By m6z:
Is the MK 23 still in production?  Seems like they are out of stock everywhere.
View Quote

Yes they are still in production but come over periodically in batches.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 7:52:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Yes they are still in production but come over periodically in batches.
View Quote

True I bought one a few months ago, 2020 production.  It came in stock and out of stock very fast.

Selling it, decided not to keep it didn't even shoot it yet.
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 6:30:26 PM EDT
[#22]
I've had mine for 4 or 5 years. Fun gun, but a big sumbitch. I love it though.

Link Posted: 6/7/2020 12:23:46 PM EDT
[#23]
This thread pushed me to order some Mark 23 mags and commit to purchasing one.

$2000 seems like a lot today, but, my PSP seemed expensive at $750 (HAHHAHAH!!!) for what I would be using as a range/collector piece. I can’t bring myself to carry the PSP.

I had to decide on either a nice 1911 or the Mark 23.
I think the pride in ownership is high for a lot of people with the Mark 23 because it is so iconic. I also realized I just enjoyed my time shooting the 23 more than any 1911 at the price point.

I do wish B&T would make a chassis for the Mark 23. It would be cool to add a RMR and stock and see how far you could stretch it’s legs. The rail and LAM mounting hole would be perfect.

Link Posted: 6/8/2020 6:31:59 AM EDT
[#24]
Picked up a used MK23 over the weekend. Have always wanted one and this one was the right price. Love it.
Gratuitous pic...

Attachment Attached File

I've read up on the o-rings and have a question.
I know they go in the cutout behind the threads, but should there be a second at the base of the threads to keep the thread protector from loosening up, similar to the o-ring on the M9A3?
I shot it this weekend and had to tighten the thread protector up a few times.
Again, it was used and I didn't know if it was missing one.

Link Posted: 6/8/2020 8:30:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Picked up a used MK23 over the weekend. Have always wanted one and this one was the right price. Love it.
Gratuitous pic...

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/60767/20200606_200247_2_jpg-1452443.JPG

I know they go in the cutout behind the threads, but should there be a second at the base of the threads to keep the thread protector from loosening up, similar to the o-ring on the M9A3?

View Quote

The metric thread, I’m told, is designed to use a suppressor or thread protector with a built in o-ring to keep the can from loosening up. My AAC Ti-Rant has an internal o-ring as does Silencerco and a few other thread protector brands. The thread protectors never budge, but every once in a while I will have to tighten up a can as it heats up. I usually check it every 10-20 rounds.
Link Posted: 6/10/2020 1:36:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

The metric thread, I’m told, is designed to use a suppressor or thread protector with a built in o-ring to keep the can from loosening up. My AAC Ti-Rant has an internal o-ring as does Silencerco and a few other thread protector brands. The thread protectors never budge, but every once in a while I will have to tighten up a can as it heats up. I usually check it every 10-20 rounds.
View Quote

Good info, thanks...ordered a Silencerco thread protector.
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 10:04:31 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Gratuitous pic...

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/60767/20200606_200247_2_jpg-1452443.JPG

View Quote

Yeah I got a thread protector and it has an o-ring inside the thread protector.
Page Handguns » H&K
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top