Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/20/2021 3:40:43 AM EDT
So the wife's Security six comes in tomorrow and we are going to pick it up she is very excited for it to come in and shoot it.

Right now I'm loading a light 38 spl load for it so light I could shoot 50+ of them in my snub nose air weight with no problem.

158 gr using Winchester 231

Grains3.1
Velocity (ft/s)782
Pressure11,900 CUP

I know she is going to have to shoot heavy round especially since this is going to be used for hog defense. It'ss, not an everyday thing that we shoot hogs but we bought this for that and snakes.  Anyway,
, what I'm looking for are options to reduce the felt recoil. I could port the barrel but want to start with a good set of grips. Yet they need to be thin wife is 5'2 she has child-size hands so anything thick will not work.

I know we might have to do a hit and miss on the grips until we find the ones that work best for her but maybe someone here has gone through this and can give me a little advice?

Also, any other ways I can help tame the recoil please tell me! Thanks!

Edited received the pistol today and it's a 150 series so I know that changes everything and that thin wood grip need to go.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 10:22:59 AM EDT
[#1]
It will depend on if its and earlier or later Security Six,  The 150 series and about half the 151 series had what are called the humpback grips.  These were later replaced with grips that were a bit more normal looking.

On the early guns there is very little you can do.  There is a guy on ebay that sells grips for the 150 guns that duplicate the Smith and Wesson target grip. They aren't cheap but are about all you're going to find. You might find an old set of Herretts.   On the later guns, Pachmyhr made grips and Ruger actually made a target grip.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 11:43:39 AM EDT
[#2]
my 4" Security Six has a set of Rogers grips... Bill Rogers designed many of the Safariland Law Enforcement products as well as the Wilson-Rogers magazines for a 1911

edit... 151 series from around 1975
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 3:05:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It will depend on if its and earlier or later Security Six,  The 150 series and about half the 151 series had what are called the humpback grips.  These were later replaced with grips that were a bit more normal looking.

View Quote

I have a 150 series with the later grip. As far as I know all 151 series had the later grip. I think you have it backwards.  

I've posted this picture before. They are all early 150 series. The middle one is 150-992xx

Attachment Attached File

OP I have some different grips for the early style frames if that is what you have. Will have to look for them as I've moved and stuff is still in boxes.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 3:57:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I have a 150 series with the later grip. As far as I know all 151 series had the later grip. I think you have it backwards.  

I've posted this picture before. They are all early 150 series. The middle one is 150-992xx

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/262615/20201219_170305_jpg-1788253.JPG

OP I have some different grips for the early style frames if that is what you have. Will have to look for them as I've moved and stuff is still in boxes.
View Quote

Correct.  I was thinking my Speed Six was a 151, its a 150.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 6:32:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Its just the first couple of years they made the earlier grip frame. Very few of the last of the 150 series have the newer frame.

Years made.

https://www.ruger.com/service/productHistory/RE-SPSSix.html

I was on a 150 buying habit several years ago. Had 4 but traded one off. [stupid] Still have the 3 pictured.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 10:59:20 PM EDT
[#6]
I commend your choice of that type handgun for your wife.

I've had a Security Sis for 25 or so years now. I found the original wood grips too small for my tastes, especially with heavy loads. I put a set of rubber grips on and took them off to get the part number for you because I just knew they were Pachmayr, but alas all they say inside are "Ruger Security Six" and "Made in Italy".

Anyhow, they're thin, comfortable grips-

A little food for thought-

You might want to stick with "not so heavy" loads for her. You being a handloader gives you almost limitless options. A cast SWC around 160-170 gr. running 1000 fps would probably do fine. I routinely romp the creek bottoms near my house with a .357 carrying such loads. When I was a teenager we always had a couple dozen hogs, mostly brood sows and one or two boars, and I fed and cared for them and farrowed the sows. I've also hunted wild hogs for 30+ years. I can tell you that I was in far greater danger from our pen raised hogs than their wild brethren, the latter of which, even sows with babies, want nothing to do with homo sapiens.

As I mentioned, the Security Six, I think, is great choice for a woman. However it is a chunky revolver. If she can't handle it or you can't find grips to suit her, you might want to consider something along the lines of a Model 10. They're a little trimmer and lighter and have grips that are pretty nice for women shooters. I have three of them and my favorite, a somewhat battered police turn-in, has grips whose corners are worn smooth making it fit the palm of ones hand perfectly.

Whenever my wife, daughter or daughter-in-law want to shoot a handgun, this is the one I grab. As an added bonus, these revolvers will handle +P loads so a handloader can get a heavy-ish bullet up close to 1,000 fps.

Link Posted: 1/21/2021 3:23:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I commend your choice of that type handgun for your wife.

I've had a Security Sis for 25 or so years now. I found the original wood grips too small for my tastes, especially with heavy loads. I put a set of rubber grips on and took them off to get the part number for you because I just knew they were Pachmayr, but alas all they say inside are "Ruger Security Six" and "Made in Italy".

Anyhow, they're thin, comfortable grips-

https://i.imgur.com/p6LEMj0h.jpg https://i.imgur.com/RqRZvBlh.jpg
A little food for thought-

You might want to stick with "not so heavy" loads for her. You being a handloader gives you almost limitless options. A cast SWC around 160-170 gr. running 1000 fps would probably do fine. I routinely romp the creek bottoms near my house with a .357 carrying such loads. When I was a teenager we always had a couple dozen hogs, mostly brood sows and one or two boars, and I fed and cared for them and farrowed the sows. I've also hunted wild hogs for 30+ years. I can tell you that I was in far greater danger from our pen raised hogs than their wild brethren, the latter of which, even sows with babies, want nothing to do with homo sapiens.

As I mentioned, the Security Six, I think, is great choice for a woman. However it is a chunky revolver. If she can't handle it or you can't find grips to suit her, you might want to consider something along the lines of a Model 10. They're a little trimmer and lighter and have grips that are pretty nice for women shooters. I have three of them and my favorite, a somewhat battered police turn-in, has grips whose corners are worn smooth making it fit the palm of ones hand perfectly.

https://i.imgur.com/Wmb8zZQh.jpg

Whenever my wife, daughter or daughter-in-law want to shoot a handgun, this is the one I grab. As an added bonus, these revolvers will handle +P loads so a handloader can get a heavy-ish bullet up close to 1,000 fps.

View Quote

Thank for the advice right now I'm loading 38 spl for her have not had the chance to find 357 mag brass yet. I'm looking at running 160gr for practice and full load for her to carry. She is kind of freaking out a little about the recoil and I think 38 spl is a step up from a 22LR. I will say the Federal hydro shok 158 gr out of my air weight 38 spl snub nose is not fun to shoot!

I want to stay at the less then 200 gr for her I feel from what I read that 160gr would be best.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 12:34:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/262615/20201219_170305_jpg-1788253.JPG

View Quote

I got the wheel gun in today and it's a 150 series with the original grips and like to find a nicer grip for it. Have a lot of cleaning to do it came like it was shoot 1,000 rounds and not cleaned. The cylinder locked up after 6 rounds and the brass got stuck in the cylinder.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:27:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Thank for the advice right now I'm loading 38 spl for her have not had the chance to find 357 mag brass yet. I'm looking at running 160gr for practice and full load for her to carry. She is kind of freaking out a little about the recoil and I think 38 spl is a step up from a 22LR. I will say the Federal hydro shok 158 gr out of my air weight 38 spl snub nose is not fun to shoot!

I want to stay at the less then 200 gr for her I feel from what I read that 160gr would be best.
View Quote

My wife uses 130gr bullets at 950fps in her 2" m15. Its mild enough for her to enjoy shooting.

She does notice an increase in recoil when she's shooting 158gr at 1000fps. Although 4" guns are more comfortable with those loads than her 2" gun.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:39:53 AM EDT
[#10]
150 grips are few and far between.  Nothing on ebay at the moment.  Check there from time to time.  Jay Scott did grips but the are absolutely huge and long out of production.  I've never found any rubber grips for the 150.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 6:34:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
150 grips are few and far between.  Nothing on ebay at the moment.  Check there from time to time.  Jay Scott did grips but the are absolutely huge and long out of production.  I've never found any rubber grips for the 150.
View Quote

I did see on one site a guy who took Ruger Redhawk grips and altered them for the 150 series tried to send him an IM to ask how he did it but he is not a member of that site anymore.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 8:23:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Keep your eyes peeled on eBay for some Jay Scott grips. They made some for the 150 series. You will likely pay a premium though,

https://www.ebay.com/itm/174596453863
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 9:24:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Keep your eyes peeled on eBay for some Jay Scott grips. They made some for the 150 series. You will likely pay a premium though,

https://www.ebay.com/itm/174596453863
View Quote

I have a set.  They are HUGE.  Like gorilla hands huge.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 2:32:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Mine has Pachmayr grips that were meant for the second generation Security Six, but still work great. They just look like shit when you get close, lol. I would like to find other rubberized grips that have a better fit, but these have been on the gun for the 15 years that I've owned it and I think I gave up looking a while ago.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top