Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/21/2020 6:57:40 AM EDT
Recently bought a Kimber Pro Carry 2

Taken it to the range twice and both times the right side grip came loose.  First time I just stopped shooting it, and when I got home I just tightened it up a little.  Yesterday same thing happened, after 18 rounds.

I know that the bushing themselves are screwed in and that I do not want to over-tighten them because I do not want to break the grip, strip the bushing, or damage the universe.

I have thought about using a light use thread locker/superglue.  But I also do not want to make it to where I can't remove the grip since I do like to detail clean my guns from time to time.

Am happy with the grips themselves, ie I am not planning on swapping them out.  

I am sure I am not the first to have this problem, so maybe there is a simple solution I do not know.

Thank you.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 7:01:09 AM EDT
[#1]
use loctite
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 7:03:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Just use a dab of blue 242, will hold but able to remove later if needed.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 7:08:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Is it the bushing coming loose or the actual screw itself?
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 7:09:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By LastRites:
Is it the bushing coming loose or the actual screw itself?
View Quote

loctite both
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 7:15:41 AM EDT
[#5]
View Quote

It is the screw.

It I use the blue locktite will I be able to break it loos without loosening the bushing itself?
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 7:22:08 AM EDT
[#6]
I use vibratite vc3 on my grip screws.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 7:25:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By vet14tango10:
I use vibratite vc3 on my grip screws.
View Quote

Correct me if I am an idiot.

Vibratite is used to keep scres or bolts in place, but is not permanent.  As in it will hold for normal use (gunfire) but if I use a allen wrench it will back out, right?
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 7:41:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Put a dot of loctite on the screw.  Brush it into the threads like you were piling a part.   Let it dry til it’s gummy.   Install. That gives some fill to the loose thread fit and drag to prevent backing out.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 8:15:16 AM EDT
[#9]
loctite 242 screw
degreased screw
nail polish screw
Elmer's glue screw
vibratite screw
Shellac screw
Permatex Hi Tack Gasket Sealant screws
o-ring under screw head
all the above will work
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 8:34:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Shinji_Ikari:

Correct me if I am an idiot.

Vibratite is used to keep scres or bolts in place, but is not permanent.  As in it will hold for normal use (gunfire) but if I use a allen wrench it will back out, right?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Shinji_Ikari:
Originally Posted By vet14tango10:
I use vibratite vc3 on my grip screws.

Correct me if I am an idiot.

Vibratite is used to keep scres or bolts in place, but is not permanent.  As in it will hold for normal use (gunfire) but if I use a allen wrench it will back out, right?

Correct. Apply vc3 per instructions. Tighten screw until it makes contact then lightly snug it down. No need to muscle it.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 1:21:41 PM EDT
[#11]
They also make rubber o rings to put under the screws.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 5:41:22 PM EDT
[#12]
On grips with no "give" like G10 or aluminum, you really need an O-ring to provide some pressure and friction on the grip screw head.

Wood grips generally don't have that issue if the screws are reasonably tight.   Either way I like to use a low-strength threadlocker on the grip screws themselves.  The grip bushings, I usually install with medium strength threadlocker.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 7:03:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I use vibratite vc3 on my grip screws.
View Quote

I flea-bayed some of this, should be here inside of a week.  Plan to put a small amount on each screw, tighten, wipe down.  Will also give time for it to cure.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 9:50:21 PM EDT
[#14]
I had the same issue with my STI.  I put a little dab of clear nail polish on the threads and problem solved.  Easy to remove too.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 10:59:56 AM EDT
[#15]
O-rings and a dab of grease on the threads. Torque to 10 inlbs. Have fun with the Loctite should the bushing break free instead of the screw.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 9:42:58 PM EDT
[#16]
I had this issue and noticed it was more prominent when the frame started getting toasty after lots of rounds.

Somehow the thermal cycling would loosen the screws even though I had tightened them as tight as I was comfortable with.

I ended up using the o-rings and being a bit aggressive with my torquing. I figure if I jack up a bushing it’s not the end of the world.

Anyone ever see a torque spec for the grip screws? I looked pretty thoroughly through my kuhnhausen books but didn’t see one.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 2:19:46 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Anyone ever see a torque spec for the grip screws?
View Quote

I think Challis recommends 5, but I use 10.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 6:57:00 AM EDT
[#18]
Often times grips come loose because they don't fit snug around the bushings.  Blue Loctite might hold, but in those cases the O-rings work best as they squish into the grips and prevent any movement.  I used blue Loctite on my Kimber recently, and when I went to pull the grips back off one of the bushings came out.  If that happens just degrease the bushing and frame hole and re-install the bushing with a little bit of red Loctite, being careful not to cross-thread the bushing.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 4:10:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Got some vibratite last night, this morning I took the screws out, cleaned with isotopal ETOH, put some on the threads and tightened down.  Not sure when I will get to go back to the range, but I hope soon.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 3:15:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

It is the screw.

It I use the blue locktite will I be able to break it loos without loosening the bushing itself?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

It is the screw.

There are multiple ways of dealing with this.
Degrease the screw thread and internal bushing thread.
Screw it down tight.

Put a rubber o-ring between the screw head and grip to provide spring pressure to lock the screw.

Use locking (permanent) Loctite on the bushing to frame joint.
Use weaker Loctite on the grip screws.

If you ever need to remove the bushings you heat them with
a soldering iron and the Loctite breaks down.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 3:55:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

From Challis:

How much torque do you recommend for grip screws? When using the Challis Hex Drive Bushing system with both O-rings, we suggest the grip screws be installed with 5 in/lbs of torque for wood grips. Higher torque may cause the wood to crush over time. Up to 12 in/lbs can be used for hard materials, but with any material 5 in/lbs is sufficient to hold the grips tight and prevent grip screws from loosening.

I use their bushings, bushing o rings, and grip screw o rings. No issues with grips coming loose any more.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top