Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/6/2018 11:46:53 AM EDT
Recently got a new 1911, and was looking at grips. The gun came with G10 grips, with the large diamond texture (like the VZ Diamondbacks).

Typically, I like aggressive grips, so when you pick up the gun, it "bites" into my hand and stays put.

The new 1911 has a checkered front-strap, and checkered MSH. Coupled with the coarse grips, the gun does NOT move... AT ALL

Recently, I have been looking at smooth wood grips (burls & high-figured woods), and they are gorgeous. I know I will loose a little grip, being smooth, but I have heard that the checkered front-strap and MSH is more important.

Does anybody have any experience with this? Going to smooth grips from checkered? Or vice-versa?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/6/2018 12:36:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Diamondbacks are what I order for all my 1911s, none of them have front strap checkering.  I did notice a much better grip with the DB over the factory wood grips.
Link Posted: 2/6/2018 1:50:52 PM EDT
[#2]
For a competition gun I want very aggressive grip texture.  For a carry gun I want the most aggressive that I can stand brushing against my skin if my undershirt comes untucked.  Smooth wood grips look great on "safe queen" or range toy guns, but I don't care for them much for routine use.
Link Posted: 2/6/2018 3:11:49 PM EDT
[#3]
With that frontstrap and msh checkering, smooth grips should be fine.
Link Posted: 2/6/2018 3:21:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/6/2018 9:37:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
This.
Link Posted: 2/7/2018 9:55:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
For a competition gun I want very aggressive grip texture.  For a carry gun I want the most aggressive that I can stand brushing against my skin if my undershirt comes untucked.  Smooth wood grips look great on "safe queen" or range toy guns, but I don't care for them much for routine use.
View Quote
This will be a safe-queen / range toy. If it was a competition gun or CCW, I would go textured G10 all the way.
Link Posted: 2/7/2018 12:57:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Get both
ahrends tactical grips.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 1:00:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yep
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top