Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/24/2021 10:28:44 PM EDT
bought a Shield Plus this morning and got it out tonight and put 100rds through it. Here's what I found out.

Fits my hand a little better than my wife's Hellcat. The Hellcat is nice but my finger always goes to the bottom of the trigger and rubs the guard as I pull back.

Stock sights- about all I can say is the white paint stands out. I think S&W dropped the ball on the sights and should've made something like the Hellcat sights standard.  I'm going to look for some replacements soon.

Gun functioned 100% for the 100rds I put through it. Shot 50rds of S&B 115gr FMJ and 50rds of Fed 147gr HST.

10rd mag loaded easy and the 13rd was the same except the last round I wasn't able to get in. Maybe once the spring loosens up a bit I can get the last one in. I prefer the 13rd but the 10rd wasn't as uncomfortable as the 10rd Hellcat due to the grip being a touch longer.

Accuracy was pretty good, at 13yds I was shooting 3-4" groups if I took my time which is about all the better I do with striker fired guns. I did shoot slightly left(maybe an 1" at the most), noticed while doing some dry firing the muzzle would bump left. My M&P FS does the same thing for me. With the 115gr it shot where the front sight was but with the 147gr it shot 3" high at 13yds and 1.5" high at 7yds. I will say I think our Hellcat has a slight edge in accuracy and where it shoots, with that gun I obliterated the bullseye at 13yds with both types of ammo.

Recoil was snappy with the 115gr but not uncomfortable, with the 147gr it got unpleasant before I got through the 50rd box and I noticed I was starting to flinch. I've been shooting my 9mm 1911 quite a bit the last 6 months which is a pussycat in the recoil department. I actually think the Hellcat was maybe a little softer shooting but I don't know why, maybe the bore axis is slightly lower and it has less flip.

Trigger is really good for an out of the box gun. It's pretty close to my M&P with the APEX kit, if the shield had a lighter pull it would be almost identical.

All in all I'm happy with the purchase. Once I get s couple more boxes through it, a holster, and extra mag or two, and maybe some better sights I'm going to start using it for my summer carry gun as it will disappear under a t-shirt.

ETA. My frame is really black so I'm not sure if this is one of the Cerakoted fames or if they are all that dark, it was the only one they had in stock but it's darker and smoother looking that the M&P 1.0 that I have.

Link Posted: 4/24/2021 10:46:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Can you tell a difference in the feel of the grip girth/width/circumference between the Plus and the 1.0?
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 10:51:32 PM EDT
[#2]
My next pistol buy is going to be a Shield Plus.  If it is anywhere as good as this little original Shield I've been carrying in the summer then I'll be a happy camper.  Supposed to be able to use the same holsters as well.

What is it ... a half inch wider at the grips?
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 10:54:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Can you tell a difference in the feel of the grip girth/width/circumference between the Plus and the 1.0?
View Quote

The 1.0 I have is the regular M&P, not the Shield. I was under the impression the Plus is basically about the same size as the original Shield.
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 10:56:08 PM EDT
[#4]
I think it's maybe .15" wider, not much at all.  Was just reading about it, and it sounds like a good upgrade for my original Shield.  I got this one just before the 2.0 came out, or maybe around the same time, when PSA had them on sale for $200.  Couldn't pass it up, and I grabbed 5 more mags for it from PSA, too, when they had them on sale.  I think they were only $15 ea for the 8 rounders.

Link Posted: 4/24/2021 11:56:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Recoil was snappy with the 115gr but not uncomfortable, with the 147gr it got unpleasant before I got through the 50rd box and I noticed I was starting to flinch. I've been shooting my 9mm 1911 quite a bit the last 6 months which is a pussycat in the recoil department. I actually think the Hellcat was maybe a little softer shooting but I don't know why, maybe the bore axis is slightly lower and it has less flip.
View Quote

This is why I avoid single stack compacts.  I can shoot a G26 all day with 147gr, even one handed, not unpleasant. But single stack grips being thinner focus the force on a smaller part of the hand, causing stinging and are generally unpleasant. I never understood the big deal of a single stack shaving 1/16 -1/8" off the grip/frame thickness, it has no effect on printing and carries the same as a double stack IMHO.

Link Posted: 4/25/2021 12:15:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

This is why I avoid single stack compacts.  I can shoot a G26 all day with 147gr, even one handed, not unpleasant. But single stack grips being thinner focus the force on a smaller part of the hand, causing stinging and are generally unpleasant. I never understood the big deal of a single stack shaving 1/16 -1/8" off the grip/frame thickness, it has no effect on printing and carries the same as a double stack IMHO.

View Quote

I've been carrying a 1911 lately and it conceals well but not that great with a t shirt. Only way I can conceal a full-size without printing is AIWB but it's just not as comfortable for me so I don't carry much in the summer. This gun should fix that and it'll get carried more than shot once I get through the shake down phase.
Link Posted: 5/9/2021 9:35:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

What is it ... a half inch wider at the grips?
View Quote

It's barely larger.  Much less than a half inch.  A tenth maybe?

I can barely tell looking at the two side by side from the back which one is bigger.  I can't tell any difference carrying the plus.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top