Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/4/2024 2:12:02 AM EDT
G45 with a SCS?  Yay or nay?  

Short version - got a G45, thinking of putting a SCS on there for my 1st optic.  Full time carry and range gun. I love the idea of no plates and a very low mount (using stock height sights).  I've been shooting Glocks for almost 30 years, so the SCS sounds like an ideal way to go.  Sure, the window could be bigger.  I see that as encouragement to present the weapon properly

Longer version....

I've become a huge fan of the 4" barrel, full length magazine frame handgun.  

Got a Dagger S frame for my daughter, I started carrying it because it felt great.  But it's time to build that out for her, so I started looking for options.

#1 Dagger is out because I want to go back to full 100% Glock holster compatibility.  

#2 XR920 - it looks intriguing, and the optic mounting system looks unparalleled in versatility. Quality control really sounds like there's a solid 10-20% chance of an issue.  But if there is, it's going to really suck getting it fixed.  I'm local to Shadow Systems, but don't think I want that headache.  

#3 Lone Wolf frames - A G45 style in Gen3/Gen4.  Building it myself with OEM Glock LPK should erase most issues, but it looks..... Odd, and there's still some issues that have cropped up.

#4 Grit Grips - They make a great G19 frame, but unfortunately, a Gen3 G45 frame is probably a year away.  

#5 Nomad - Not fully Glock holster compatible according to their website.

#6 G45 - I've been checking the local shop in case they got another used/trade in G45.  Stopped in Saturday and BOOM, used G45.  One magazine, plastic sights, no plates or backstraps.  Price was good enough to make me not care.  

I originally planned on probably selling the complete slide assembly and using one of my PSA Dagger slides. There's a lot of opinions, but the original, non-optic, non-full of holes slides really slide into and out of Safariland holsters easily compared to more squared off designs.  

But..... The G45 Really looks nice.  Maybe I'll use the stock slide for a while?  Then I start checking SCS pricing.  Used as low as $250, new for $300?  

I have an old duty belt setup for bumps around the house (the kids call them war belts or battle belts).  I've got holsters that work with or without a light, but RDS?  I look around, see a Safariland open top paddle I got cheap.  It won't hold a light, but certainly will hold it with any optic until I find a full RDS/ALS holster.  

I've been reading up on the SCS, and except for the Holosun haters, it seems to get pretty good reviews.  It's also the ONLY option for an optic without a plate, so that tips the odds in it's favor.

I'll admit. I always thought the SCS looked pretty dumb mounted on a full size weapon like the G45 or G17.  But it's a Glock, I obviously gave up on caring about looks years ago
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 2:18:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes. I wish my G45 was MOS. The G21 will have to do for now.

Love the SCS.

Link Posted: 3/4/2024 2:25:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Urimaginaryfrnd] [#2]
“EPS CARRY “ or “Aimpoint ACRO” or “Trijicon RCR Enclosed Red Dot Sight 3.25 MOA Dot “
Enclosed emmiter system.

All those use a plate but have glass front and back so pocket lent doesn’t block the dot.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 4:14:54 AM EDT
[#3]
I’ll put it this way, I sent my 19x (pre MOS) out to be cut for MOS just so I could put a SCS on it. Love mine.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 4:20:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Urimaginaryfrnd:
“EPS CARRY “ or “Aimpoint ACRO” or “Trijicon RCR Enclosed Red Dot Sight 3.25 MOA Dot “
Enclosed emmiter system.

All those use a plate but have glass front and back so pocket lent doesn’t block the dot.
View Quote

Pocket lent used to be a problem, but I haven't gone to Catholic church since I was a kid.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 4:21:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By NorthPolar:
I’ll put it this way, I sent my 19x (pre MOS) out to be cut for MOS just so I could put a SCS on it. Love mine.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Nice

Originally Posted By ecgRN:
Yes. I wish my G45 was MOS. The G21 will have to do for now.

Love the SCS.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/21318/IMG_20240223_151613513_2-3138991.jpg

Good to hear!
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 7:03:46 AM EDT
[#6]
The guy at the gun store let me check out a SCS when I picked up my G49. I'm sold on it, and one will be topping the '49.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 8:17:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TW200] [#7]
SCS kicks ass dude. My only complaint so far is only two brightness settings. Makes 100 yard shots difficult.
Here is me shooting a G20.5 MOS 10mm master race at 50 yard 1 foot plate.
SCS Holosun

I also have a SCS on my G19.5 MOS.

G19.5 MOS Holosun SCS 50 yards to 1 foot plate.

Link Posted: 3/4/2024 9:51:49 AM EDT
[#8]
I’m interested in the SCS and have been tempted to buy one and put it on a range gun for testing.  
I’m not quite ready to trust Holosun for carry use but I don’t have much reason to back that up.  

I have their rifle optics and their 507C and 407K that I have had zero issues with.  

I currently carry an RMR and have been doing so since late 2018 ish.   I’ve never had an issue with pocket lint or that pesky pocket lent either.  

If I was outfitting an optic pistol right now, I would be looking for a used RMR or a clearance RMR.  Everyone is looking for the HD model right now and you could probably snag the older ones for cheap.  

As for the SCS, I question long term use and what the battery life will be after 5+ years of recharging too.  
But I want one because the concept is interesting.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 11:30:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Well I'll be damned!  Guess I haven't been paying attention.  Didn't know these were a thing.

I have a Glock 45 coming someday from the Glock Blue Label program.  My plan was a 507C on a plate.  Now it's getting an SCS.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 12:32:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 1:24:36 PM EDT
[#11]

Love it.  Definitely going with one of those.

Thanks for the pic.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 2:37:43 PM EDT
[#12]
I have one on my 19.5 and after about 300 rounds I am pretty much sold.

This was my first dot.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 5:24:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Love mine, on 17.5mos
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 9:17:13 PM EDT
[#14]
View Quote

@NorthPolar

Who did you use to do the MOS cut? I’ve been thinking of having my 19X milled. I didn’t know MOS was an option. Appreciate anything you’re willing to share.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 9:24:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NorthPolar] [#15]
Originally Posted By tex45:

@NorthPolar

Who did you use to do the MOS cut? I’ve been thinking of having my 19X milled. I didn’t know MOS was an option. Appreciate anything you’re willing to share.
View Quote

Battlewerx did mine in under a week round trip. I did MOS cut plus a sight move without refinish, as I was hitting the cut with cold blue. FYI you’ll want to either get a new rear sight or just flip the factory one around because you can’t get an optic plus the 19x night sights on at the same time. I just painted over the tritium to get a blacked out sight from all sides.

Compared to the 19x MOS

Link Posted: 3/5/2024 11:06:01 AM EDT
[#16]
Thank you for the detailed information!
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 8:11:57 PM EDT
[#17]
I have one on a 45 with just over 500 rounds on it.  Very happy so far.  Will be at the range this week to qualify with it as my duty gun.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 10:09:12 AM EDT
[#18]
Yes. It’s a great optic and I’ve used one for 2yrs in a duty capacity with no issues.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 11:23:00 AM EDT
[#19]
Does the SCS fit tight in the MOS cut?
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 12:12:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Blacktoothgrin:
Does the SCS fit tight in the MOS cut?
View Quote

Sample size of one, but yeah. It was designed to fit with no wiggle though.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 11:40:57 AM EDT
[#21]
No complaints works as it should.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 11:51:50 AM EDT
[#22]
MPS on FCD PlateAttachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 5:35:19 PM EDT
[#23]
I don’t shoot mine enough that would worry me about it running off of the internal battery. Even my gshock was on low for a few months cause of such a low sunlight this winter.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 7:52:07 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Ivan1:
I don’t shoot mine enough that would worry me about it running off of the internal battery. Even my gshock was on low for a few months cause of such a low sunlight this winter.
View Quote

If you have a day at home leave the slide on a windowsill once every few weeks.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 7:53:44 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By HighPlains1911:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By HighPlains1911:
Originally Posted By Ivan1:

Mine sees only safe/basement light if not at range and still bright as ever
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top