Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/19/2018 11:11:12 PM EDT
Hey guys new to the glock world! Purchased a new g19 gen 5 recently. So far I'm really loving this gun. But recently I noticed a click in the trigger that I'm not sure was always there or not. On take up near the wall I will hear and feel an audible click then press more and you get the break. Now this click is not the reset it's on take up. Normal?
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 1:34:08 AM EDT
[#1]
The spring on the firing pin safety plunger isn't seated right
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 1:53:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The spring on the firing pin safety plunger isn't seated right
View Quote
This.

The firing pin safety is catching on the firing pin, then suddenly giving way resulting in the click.
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 7:38:22 AM EDT
[#3]
So how do I fix this?  Was this something I did incorrectly when either taking the slide off or putting it back on?  Never touched the plunger or removed the striker.
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 8:30:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Pull the striker and rotate the spring so the end of the coil doesn't line up with the spring cup split.
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 9:51:34 AM EDT
[#5]
OK I'll give that a shot when I get home. Also when the slide is locked back the firing pin will protrude if I tilt the gun down.  Is this normal?
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 11:38:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Here's an earlier Gen making a plunger click...
Safety Plunger Click
It looks like the spring that loads the safety plunger is not seated in the plunger body.
The spring usually sticks in the plunger and they become one piece.
Or there is some crap in the plunger bore.

1) Check plunger, plunger bore, spring and extractor for anomalies.

2) Flip spring 180 degrees

3) Turn plunger 180 degress

4) Re-try

If none of that works, then it might be the interaction of the firing pin and safety plunger.
So check all of your slide parts when they are out.
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 4:07:04 PM EDT
[#7]
So got it all apart and everything looked to be where they should be.  Not sure about the plungers on previous gens but on the gen 5 it is NOT reversible.  Yeah so I was playing with the plunger spring and it went flying luckily after it bounced off my face I saw where it went.... Lol but I found debris and a small piece of plastic in the striker channel.  Didn't see nothing chipped or where it could have came from...  Looked at the rim of the plastic sleeve too and it was immaculate.  But after putting it back together the click is gone and trigger actually feels lighter and smoother.  On my vp9 there was a ton of crap in there too and once cleaned out the trigger was better on that too.  What's up with new guns with gunk and crap in them?!  Hope this helps others. Thanks for everyone's help!
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 7:34:48 AM EDT
[#8]
So after dry firing with a snap cap a few dozen times the click started coming back.  I believe the plunger spring is not sitting straight and when the plunger comes down on one of the rings it rubs then "clicks" when it finally goes inside the plunger.  The well that the spring sits in is coned shaped, wondering if that's the culprit.  Or is the ejector moving the plunger on an angle where it cocks the spring.  Either way I'll wait until I take it on the range for some live fire to see if that moves it to its proper place.  Also the pin that holds the ejector is showing wear on where it contacts the slide (where it peeks out right behind the ejector) to the point where I can feel it with my nail.  New pistol probably 200 live and like 500 dry fires...
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 8:34:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
So after dry firing with a snap cap a few dozen times the click started coming back.  I believe the plunger spring is not sitting straight and when the plunger comes down on one of the rings it rubs then "clicks" when it finally goes inside the plunger.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
So after dry firing with a snap cap a few dozen times the click started coming back.  I believe the plunger spring is not sitting straight and when the plunger comes down on one of the rings it rubs then "clicks" when it finally goes inside the plunger.
I mentioned this above, with my Gen 3's the spring and plunger nest together and become one piece. That cone-shaped bore you see, I believe is there to lock the spring in place.
You could try twisting the spring into the plunger and see if it hangs up.

Also the pin that holds the ejector is showing wear on where it contacts the slide (where it peeks out right behind the ejector) to the point where I can feel it with my nail.  New pistol probably 200 live and like 500 dry fires...
That's the "extractor depressor plunger assembly" in Glock lingo. At least that sounds like what you describe.
Not sure what you mean by "contacts the slide" ? It slides in a bore and makes hard contact with the ejector.
I would try to find out what's causing this wear you see.

Note:
On the depressor plunger:
metal to metal and plastic to plastic.
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 8:52:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Yes each time I took it apart the plunger and spring were one piece. The ejector pin/spring I'll take a photo when I get home and it will be much easier to understand.
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 10:25:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Yes each time I took it apart the plunger and spring were one piece. The ejector pin/spring I'll take a photo when I get home and it will be much easier to understand.
View Quote
You're referring to the extractor, not the ejector. The extractor is installed in the slide and the ejector is installed in the trigger housing in the frame. It's the silver piece that sticks out over the top of the magwell. The extractor plunger, spring, and bearing are the smaller of the two pieces that pop up when you remove the slide cover/back plate.
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 12:42:06 PM EDT
[#12]
When reinserting the spring, gently turn it clockwise while pushing down. You'll feel a little pop when it's seated properly
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top