Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/26/2020 4:38:19 PM EDT
I'm trying to compare the CHPWS V4 mil/leo plate versus the Forward Controls Design OPF-G. Anyone with experience of either?

(links)
https://www.forwardcontrolsdesign.com/OPF-G-RMR_p_224.html

https://chpws.com/product/v4-mil-leo-glock-mos-to-trijicon-rmr-holosun-407c-407c-v2-507c-507c-v2-508t-and-508t-v2
Link Posted: 8/26/2020 9:01:46 PM EDT
[#2]
I've got one of each.  They're both great - light years ahead of the stock MOS plate.  They go about it in slightly different manners.  The FCD plate has the optic screws bolt into the plate itself, where the CHPWS uses a T-nut system where the optic screw goes into.  

I'm glad these two companies exist.  the MOS plates are really trash - one of the plates out of the box was already bowed.
Link Posted: 8/27/2020 12:18:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've got one of each.  They're both great - light years ahead of the stock MOS plate.  They go about it in slightly different manners.  The FCD plate has the optic screws bolt into the plate itself, where the CHPWS uses a T-nut system where the optic screw goes into.  

I'm glad these two companies exist.  the MOS plates are really trash - one of the plates out of the box was already bowed.
View Quote

Thanks. I decided to go with CHPWS.
Link Posted: 8/27/2020 9:12:19 PM EDT
[#4]
FCD ... no question.
Link Posted: 9/7/2020 12:50:58 PM EDT
[#5]
I use the CHWPS. It’s. Not sure how much I’d trust that thread. No offense but of course the owner of one company is going to think his product of superior than the others.

And it could very well be. Id rather see true independent testing vs opinions on a thread.

Not a bash on any of them at all, again. Just some observations.
Link Posted: 9/8/2020 8:54:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Forward Controls Design OPF G RMR Plate for the Glock MOS

C&H Precision V4 Defender MOS Plate
Link Posted: 9/15/2020 11:07:55 AM EDT
[#7]
FCD
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 5:43:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Duffy has been a member of this site for over 20 years and designing really cool shit for a lot of that time.
It’s not a hard choice to make at all. FCD all the way.
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 10:51:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Who has the FCD plate in stock?
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 11:31:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Love my CHPWS plate. IMO it makes the mos system as good or better than direct mill as I still have options if some miracle new footprint emerges.

Also above comment is partially wrong. Only the polymer chpws plates use the replaceable tnuts.  My steel one is threaded direct. It does use bosses that rise up in the screw holes, but thats so itll have more threads vs fewer bigger threads.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 8:58:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Love my CHPWS plate. IMO it makes the mos system as good or better than direct mill as I still have options if some miracle new footprint emerges.

Also above comment is partially wrong. Only the polymer chpws plates use the replaceable tnuts.  My steel one is threaded direct. It does use bosses that rise up in the screw holes, but thats so itll have more threads vs fewer bigger threads.
View Quote
Your CHPWS plate is aluminum bro. No thanks.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 11:25:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh no

What will I do?
Link Posted: 9/19/2020 9:24:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Oh no

What will I do?
View Quote
@shelbysguns
@gshox24

Hopefully not have your optic shear off like these guys. I wouldn't trust any of their pistol plate design decisions just based on their material selection alone.

Their own documentation says to use nail polish and not thread locker (thin aluminum threads in this application can't handle the loctite).

I would definitely get the FCD steel plate unless it's just a range toy.

Good luck!

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/20/2020 7:27:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Oh no

What will I do?
View Quote

Hopefully not over torque it while using loctite damaging the threads, or have the thinner screws shear.

FCD is better option.
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 7:17:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
FCD ... no question.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 10/4/2020 11:24:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/4/2020 11:25:41 PM EDT
[#17]
I went with the FCD plate and I'm very pleased.
Link Posted: 10/20/2020 12:59:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
@shelbysguns
@gshox24

Hopefully not have your optic shear off like these guys. I wouldn't trust any of their pistol plate design decisions just based on their material selection alone.

Their own documentation says to use nail polish and not thread locker (thin aluminum threads in this application can't handle the loctite).

I would definitely get the FCD steel plate unless it's just a range toy.

Good luck!

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/113559/F175B132-EA29-45B5-8704-F19105DD6B66_jpe-1598231.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/113559/A7FF911F-07DB-4428-BBB7-C58666DD3B9D_jpe-1598235.JPG
View Quote

That’s also an issue with the Leupold DPP having a high housing that prevents the mounting screws from actually going into the plate.  The RMR and Holosuns don’t have that problem because the screws go all the way into the plate through those sleeves.  This eliminates the sheering issue for those optics.  Additionally, the fit for the V4 is so tight with the RMR has to be forced into place due to the exacting tolerances.  This also adds to the elimination of the sheering issue for that optic.

Is it still a problem for the DPP?  Yes.  But the DPP is unreliable hot garbage anyway and I won’t ever carry one, so for me it’s irrelevant.  

The CHPWS is more than durable enough for the RMR and Holosun.  We have dozens of officers running CHPWS plates for Glock and Sig for a couple years and have zero documented failures with CHPWS plates.  We do everything Cowan did for our T&E process, and in our initial RDS certification training, short of the drop testing (we just took his word for it on that one).  Would I be happier if they used ordnance grade steel?  Yes.  But 7075 aluminum isn’t going to end the world.
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 1:19:44 AM EDT
[#19]
Anyone know if FCD will come out with a plate for the 509T?  I didn’t see it on their website but would like to give them a chance before I order the other brand. Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 5:32:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

That’s also an issue with the Leupold DPP having a high housing that prevents the mounting screws from actually going into the plate.  The RMR and Holosuns don’t have that problem because the screws go all the way into the plate through those sleeves.  This eliminates the sheering issue for those optics.  Additionally, the fit for the V4 is so tight with the RMR has to be forced into place due to the exacting tolerances.  This also adds to the elimination of the sheering issue for that optic.

Is it still a problem for the DPP?  Yes.  But the DPP is unreliable hot garbage anyway and I won’t ever carry one, so for me it’s irrelevant.  

The CHPWS is more than durable enough for the RMR and Holosun.  We have dozens of officers running CHPWS plates for Glock and Sig for a couple years and have zero documented failures with CHPWS plates.  We do everything Cowan did for our T&E process, and in our initial RDS certification training, short of the drop testing (we just took his word for it on that one).  Would I be happier if they used ordnance grade steel?  Yes.  But 7075 aluminum isn’t going to end the world.
View Quote

When did they switch to 7075?
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 5:37:07 PM EDT
[#21]
I have two G19s set up with the Forward Control Designs plate and I would highly recommend them to anyone. Their AR stuff is some of my favorites and their MOS plate follows along in quality.
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 6:09:29 PM EDT
[#22]
We went with steel (1018 and black nitrided) because we wanted steel screws to screw into steel holes.  OPF-G, RMR, and the upcoming OPF-G, RMRcc and OPF-G, DPP (both ETA is before Christmas)all follow the same design, front and rear fence, a plate that tightly cradles the sight, single piece

We use the same thickness as Glock MOS plate for parts (screws) commonality, it retains the same iron sight co-witness and holster compatibility.  OPF-G, RMR and RMRcc both use the same sight to plate screws that are easily found in the market.
Link Posted: 11/27/2020 7:50:11 PM EDT
[#23]
I have no experience with the CHPWS, but the FCD plate is spectacular. Perfectly snug fit on the slide and RMR and absolutely rock solid. The design is functional elegance.
Link Posted: 12/8/2020 7:09:40 PM EDT
[#24]
I have the CHPWS V4. It works great, fit was stellar. I see no issues with the aluminum plate and really like that the T nuts are replaceable if needed. FCD also makes a great plate from what’s posted here. I’d buy another CHPWS plate without a question though my next one might just have an FCD plate because variety isn’t a bad thing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top