Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 8
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 6:40:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Never saw a .22 pistol Kaboom.
So it tends to figure that Glock must be designing this feature into their guns.

That's OK Colt came out with a $1500 Python and the cylinder doesn't turn.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 7:55:50 AM EDT
[#2]
HLeeFuk!

The failure mode in this crack is easy to understand from its location and shape.  The broken case gas impulse forced the barrel/slide components upward while each end of the slide metal rails was held down in the short fore and aft frame rails.  Fracture occurred mid point behind the breech face insert.   Hold a twig on both ends and push up.  Breaks in the relative middle.  The rails must be for running the slide without actually reinforcing the plastic slide body.

It should never happen.  If it happens once, it will reoccur.  GayRanT.

I have had an OOB firing with Remington 40RN Golden Bullets in a Ruger Competition pistol which has a tighter than “sporting” chamber and engraves bullets in the rifling.  Takes a full slide run to chamber some brands.  Scary, but no damage.  Entire case rim/head almost peeled off.  No damage to pistol.  Photo:

And yes your 22/45 will OOB the same as the case photo above from a Ruger Competition SA.

Very recently, the same sort of OOB with CCI MiniMag 40RN in an Advantage Arms Glock 17/22 kit.  Noisy, but no damage, just powder and brass flying about.  I could feel it hit my face but the case was gone.

Breaking the Glock slide is not acceptable.  Complete and total bull shit.  Absolutely under-engineered stress failure.  Example in Engineering: Expected stress is 100%.  Fractures at 110%.  Not 150% or 200%, not repetitive stress, but fails the first low level screw up that exceeds the design.

Since 2007, my AA dated kits have had a kazillion rounds of everything through them.  They eat strikers and small parts, but never hurt the big components.

Had one OOB with Blazer 40RN over the holidays with a S&W AR15/22, but could not find the case.  Sucks closer to your face.  EyePRO/earPRO every time.

Usually, the problem in Remington is case splits, from the mouth to the rim down the side.  They leak, but are less dramatic.

[And the King Cobra tested by the NRA can only fire four shots before the Am.Rifleman’s sample locks up refusing to turn the cylinder.  When the NRA reviewer downs a gun, it is bad indeed.  Like the guy above in the 1911 forum with a brand new $2000 Colt losing the front sight.  Schlock junk assembly.]

I am ever so glad I did not Pre-order a G44.  The AA kits may and do malfunction, but they are solidly made.

On the other hand, WW .22s are so bad I haven’t bought any at any price in 10 years.  And, YES, WW re-labels the shit and Browning calls it Premium under their Browning Label.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 8:46:49 AM EDT
[#3]
This wasn't that over charged M-22 from some years back was it?
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 9:20:50 AM EDT
[#4]
I run a 22 kit in my M-16 and have had tons of OOB with 22lr and never hurt anything.  Chambers get fouled regularly in F/A with 22lr.  I just pull out the case, clean the chamber and keep on shooting.

There is a batch of Winchester Power Point 22lr that was recalled.  I still have a case of it that I kept because its hot, accurate and kills coons really well.

I can't believe glock made a polymer slide.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 9:48:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Sometimes, reinventing the wheel is stupid. In this case, the wheel is a polymer slide. I don't understand why a lightweight metal like aluminum wasn't used except to save money. A .22 RF kaboom might break a few small parts but it shouldn't destroy the actual frame or slide of a firearm.

I have a bunch of .22's, revolvers, semi auto pistols/slides, bolt actions, semi auto rifles and I can't think of one that wouldn't shrug off a .22 kaboom with, at most, one or two small damaged parts.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 10:26:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This wasn't that over charged M-22 from some years back was it?
View Quote
https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2014/1/31/winchester-recalls-two-lots-of-m-22-rimfire-ammo/
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 10:50:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Sometimes, reinventing the wheel is stupid. In this case, the wheel is a polymer slide. I don't understand why a lightweight metal like aluminum wasn't used except to save money.
View Quote
Because they are Glock and masters of the polymer

Hopefully this is just a fluke and not a design flaw that's going to Kaboom in Glocks face but it's looking like the latter IMO
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 10:54:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Well.  The Glock grenade has been a legend for a long time now.

Apparently a .22 cant maintain that legendary performance with a steel slide, so they had to go plastic.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 11:01:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Well.  The Glock grenade has been a legend for a long time now.

Apparently a .22 cant maintain that legendary performance with a steel slide, so they had to go plastic.
View Quote
Maybe, just maybe, this is the reason why they never made a .22lr.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 11:49:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Is the extractor spring assembly in the wrong way or is there not a metal side on the g44? In the regular Glocks it's supposed to be the metal end towards the extractor?
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 12:25:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Is the extractor spring assembly in the wrong way or is there not a metal side on the g44? In the regular Glocks it's supposed to be the metal end towards the extractor?
View Quote
It’s backwards confirmed on GlockTalk
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 12:50:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
Got it, I just looked at the thread over on glocktalk.

Not thinking this could cause the kaboom, just noticed it when looking at the photo.

Was it assembled wrong from the factory?
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 1:03:45 PM EDT
[#13]
One thing I saw in the glocktalk thread is that glock states in the owners manual that you have to clean the g44 every 100 rounds. That seems kind of ridiculous to me.

On page 26 of the instructions Glock also writes "Your Glock pistol should be cleaned and lubricated as follows: 4) at least every 100 rounds fired ensuring protection against your firearm jamming or losing accuracy"
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 1:22:40 PM EDT
[#14]
FWIW I used to be a Glock armorer and I worked at a gun store for a few years, one of my jobs was arranging repairs. On the rare occasion I had to send a Glock back I don't think they even asked for a return authorization or anything like that, there is a form on the warranty page of their website that details how to return a pistol for service. Whenever I called ahead they just told me to fill out the form and send them the gun. They usually had the pistol back within 2 weeks.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 1:22:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No pieces fell out just dropped it back in so not to lose it. Can't find extractor it must have flew a mile.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 1:33:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

No pieces fell out just dropped it back in so not to lose it. Can't find extractor it must have flew a mile.
View Quote
Did you ever handle this assembly ?
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 1:33:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
FWIW I used to be a Glock armorer and I worked at a gun store for a few years, one of my jobs was arranging repairs. On the rare occasion I had to send a Glock back I don't think they even asked for a return authorization or anything like that, there is a form on the warranty page of their website that details how to return a pistol for service. Whenever I called ahead they just told me to fill out the form and send them the gun. They usually had the pistol back within 2 weeks.
View Quote
He should call them and have them give him a shipping label. Otherwise it is going to cost him a decent amount of money to ship it.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 1:36:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Nice pot metal/mim parts just like my crappy Walther P22
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 1:47:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Did you ever remove the plastic from the metal on the slide?
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 1:48:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
https://glock.pro/attachment.php?attachmentid=5867&d=1384996280
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://glock.pro/attachment.php?attachmentid=5867&d=1384996280
Yes it fell out landed on the tailgate of my truck  After the kaboom. I just dropped it back in as not to lose it didn't realize it was in the wrong way.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 1:49:38 PM EDT
[#21]
I agree, I just could never get them to do it. My store used to just eat the charge if it was a gun we sold. We didn't send back many Glocks so it wasn't really a problem.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 1:49:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote
Not sure what you're asking but after kaboom gun will not disassemble.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 1:59:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Nice pot metal/mim parts just like my crappy Walther P22
View Quote
It's polymer.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 1:59:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
I think he was asking if you disassembled it before you shot it.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 2:00:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Before the kaboom.

the plastic slide has a metal frame in it. Did you ever take those two pieces apart?
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 2:07:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Before the kaboom.

the plastic slide has a metal frame in it. Did you ever take those two pieces apart?
View Quote
Looking at mine, don't see how that would be possible.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 2:09:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Before the kaboom.

That’s why I was asking. It’s possible but it will void the warranty and cause a kaboom. Not saying the op did that. Just wondering.

Edit. I’m not a G44 expert but that came from a Glock rep.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 2:15:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

That’s why I was asking. It’s possible but it will void the warranty and cause a kaboom. Not saying the op did that. Just wondering.

Edit. I’m not a G44 expert but that came from a Glock rep.
View Quote
Isn't the polymer molded around the steel. How would it separate?
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 2:15:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote
To me, it looks like the steel in the slide is located it the areas that would be stressed in normal operation. Metal to metal for slide to frame. Metal to metal on barrel to frame. Breach face, firing pin channel, etc. I'd have to take a closer look, but it does look like the extractor, and extractor plunger may be in an all polymer area of the slide.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 2:18:37 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Yes it fell out landed on the tailgate of my truck  After the kaboom. I just dropped it back in as not to lose it didn't realize it was in the wrong way.
View Quote
So then the next question and it's an important question...
Prior to the incident, did you or your shooting buddy disassemble the slide where you would handle that part in my picture ?
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 2:31:12 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Prior to the incident, did you or your shooting buddy disassemble the slide where you would handle that part in my picture ?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 2:39:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

No
View Quote
Thanks
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 2:42:32 PM EDT
[#33]
“Legendary”

Had a kb with my mkII. Cleared the brass and kept shooting because there was no damage
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 3:11:40 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Well shit.....

I just looked at mine.

Does anyone else's have both of these lines, in these spots?

ETA:  seems they must be factory I see them in pictures posted online.

https://i.imgur.com/wQ5nA87.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/M1YC8VQ.jpg
View Quote
Looks like a mold line to me.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 4:28:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Holy crap
Sorry to hear but glad you and the kiddos are unhurt.

Might be holding off buying my 44 for a bit especially after reading the other thread about the fte,ftf
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 4:43:14 PM EDT
[#36]
@guns762

Both of my new ones have those lines. Injection Mold lines assuming.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 4:58:09 PM EDT
[#37]
Did ya say what ammo you were using?
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 5:11:39 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 5:12:34 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Winchester  ammo.  Been shooting over 45 years I'm 52. Shot all kinds of stuff. First gun I have ever had this happen to. Never thought this would happen with a 22.
Not specific, so assuming its white box stuff.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 5:27:12 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Winchester  ammo.  Been shooting over 45 years I'm 52. Shot all kinds of stuff. First gun I have ever had this happen to. Never thought this would happen with a 22.
Yes white box 555 round box.  Bought sometime in last 2 years. Had it dumped in an ammo can dont have the box it came in. We did shoot the rest of the ammo thru another G44 with no issues.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 5:32:52 PM EDT
[#41]
I Kaboom'd a Jennings .22

Paid $49 for it second-hand at a gun show.

It was having problems with erattic extraction.

So, I enlarged the the notch on the side of the chamber until the extractor could get a stronger purchase on the case rim.

After a few shots, a case blew out, and sent the extractor into the weeds.

I sold the Kaboom'd gun to the Washington DC Metropolitan Police Department for $100 during one of their bullshit "gun buyback" days. Some chick from NPR inteviewed me while I was standing in line to sell it. I told her straight up that the gun would still fire (once), but was generally was broke, and I was cashing-in for double my investment.  I was mentioned as "Hero of the Week" on the NPR "Around Town" radio show.

LOLZ

Check your Glock for size of the slot for the extractor cutout. Looks to me it was doing the same shit my WECSOG'd Jennings was doing.

Did I mention the slam-fire I had in my basement when I was "testing" my extractor modifications with live ammo?

Ooooops!
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 6:01:57 PM EDT
[#42]
There appears to be another 44 with an extractor failure.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B7zG6k9AZ9Y/?igshid=oo6qpd7bxq35
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 6:21:48 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 6:49:59 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote
Quoted:

Yes white box 555 round box.  Bought sometime in last 2 years. Had it dumped in an ammo can dont have the box it came in. We did shoot the rest of the ammo thru another G44 with no issues.
View Quote
Thanks Guys! Missed that.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 7:49:14 PM EDT
[#45]
lol.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 9:19:26 PM EDT
[#46]
My G44s extractor failed yesterday at around 700 rounds, not an out of battery detonation, gun kept firing. no evidence of over pressure etc on the spent cartridges, was shooting federal champion blue box SKU 510. Was really enjoying it up until it lost the extractor

Link Posted: 1/26/2020 9:26:19 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
My G44s extractor failed yesterday at around 700 rounds, not an out of battery detonation, gun kept firing. no evidence of over pressure etc on the spent cartridges, was shooting federal champion blue box SKU 510. Was really enjoying it up until it lost the extractor

https://i.imgur.com/St5HSO2.jpg
View Quote
Did do any damage at all?
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 9:30:38 PM EDT
[#48]
I wonder if it has something to do with the different design of the firing pin safety, maybe it is not retaining to extractor properly?
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 9:39:32 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Did do any damage at all?
View Quote
Aside from two little digs in the polymer, where the extractor hinges, everything looks normal.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 9:49:39 PM EDT
[#50]
Tagging for more info. I almost bought one of these, glad I waited.
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top