Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 62
Link Posted: 8/16/2020 11:48:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Any updates on the steel mag catch? My SA aluminum catch has worn to the point that mags occasionally drop out while firing. I will not carry SA mags with the SA aluminum catch. It sucks because the 48/43X is a game changer with 16 rounds on tap.
Link Posted: 8/17/2020 2:14:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Jolly show.  I emailed shield and after they verified I was one of the initial preorder guys, they hooked it up with a coupon code for the 20% off.
Link Posted: 8/18/2020 11:17:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Any updates on the steel mag catch? My SA aluminum catch has worn to the point that mags occasionally drop out while firing. I will not carry SA mags with the SA aluminum catch. It sucks because the 48/43X is a game changer with 16 rounds on tap.
View Quote

How many rounds do you think it took?
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 9:56:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

For me, it was zero rounds in my G48.  The aluminum mag catch BARELY engaged the cutout in the magazine and it was dropping mags upon firing almost from the beginning.

My 43X's frame must be a little tighter, and the aluminum catch worked, but was showing wear pretty quickly.

The owner keeps saying "soon" on the redesigned steel catches.  I wish there was something more definitive.

Link Posted: 8/19/2020 10:01:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

For me, it was zero rounds in my G48.  The aluminum mag catch BARELY engaged the cutout in the magazine and it was dropping mags upon firing almost from the beginning.

My 43X's frame must be a little tighter, and the aluminum catch worked, but was showing wear pretty quickly.

The owner keeps saying "soon" on the redesigned steel catches.  I wish there was something more definitive.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They've replaced others worn aluminum catches with steel already.  Might be worth sending them a pic of your aluminum catch.
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 12:30:09 PM EDT
[#6]
I was able to back order these on Brownells before they completely went OOS. Have any of you backordered these from Brownells? Those that have, have you received yours yet? I would like to get an idea on how long I'll be waiting. Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/28/2020 10:58:14 AM EDT
[#7]
The steel catches are now listed in stock.

Available here
Link Posted: 8/28/2020 11:04:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Available here
View Quote
Ordered, thanks!
Link Posted: 8/28/2020 11:18:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Ordered, thanks!
View Quote

Me too.  I still appreciate the help you gave me earlier.  Hopefully this fixes it for good.

Link Posted: 8/28/2020 11:28:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Available here
View Quote

Thanks, ordered.  Still in stock a half hour later; they must have a lot of them.
Link Posted: 8/28/2020 11:35:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Thanks, ordered.  Still in stock a half hour later; they must have a lot of them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Available here

Just ordered as well, too bad no mag combos in stock or I would have gotten the 5 pack as well

Link Posted: 8/28/2020 11:45:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Awesome, grabbed a couple
Link Posted: 8/28/2020 12:28:09 PM EDT
[#13]
I grabbed one just now.  As others have said, it's too bad mags weren't in stock because I've been wanting to buy a few more, however I'm not going to wait since I suspect the catch will be out of stock soon.

I looked at my SA aluminum mag catch and although it's performed all right so far, there's a disturbing amount of wear after just five or six hundred rounds:

Attachment Attached File

You can see the aluminum all over the place around it.

-bob

Link Posted: 8/28/2020 1:18:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I grabbed one just now.  As others have said, it's too bad mags weren't in stock because I've been wanting to buy a few more, however I'm not going to wait since I suspect the catch will be out of stock soon.

I looked at my SA aluminum mag catch and although it's performed all right so far, there's a disturbing amount of wear after just five or six hundred rounds:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/160/ShieldArmsAluminiumMagCatch_jpg-1566742.JPG

You can see the aluminum all over the place around it.

-bob

View Quote

It really kind of annoys me on the mag catch thing...I asked the owner about the quick wear early on and the possibility of a steel catch (even at an increased price).  He assured me that the aluminum catch with the hard coat anodizing was adequate.

Real world experience by me and a bunch of others says that just isn't so.

The steel is selling for $1 more than the aluminum one, so why not start with steel in the first place?

That said, I am proud that they stepped up and fixed the issue, even if it took a few months.  Can't wait to try these out.
Link Posted: 8/28/2020 2:49:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Just ordered one, thanks for the heads up.  Now to figure out hot to uninstall that damn thing again without gouging the shit out of the inside of the frame...
Link Posted: 8/28/2020 2:57:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Just ordered one, thanks for the heads up.  Now to figure out hot to uninstall that damn thing again without gouging the shit out of the inside of the frame...
View Quote

I have a small pick I use that works quite well.
Link Posted: 8/28/2020 3:40:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Angled needle nose pliers
Link Posted: 8/28/2020 5:50:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Available here
View Quote

ordered. Still in stock, #8095@
Link Posted: 8/28/2020 6:41:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Just got one.  Finally going to use my S15 magazines now
Link Posted: 8/28/2020 10:30:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Just ordered one. Too bad they didn’t provide a swap from the inferior aluminum one I purchased earlier.
Link Posted: 8/29/2020 12:19:50 AM EDT
[#21]
Finally! Got a steel catch on order. But no S15 mags in stock... Guess I'll hit up a few LGS to see if they have any left.
Link Posted: 8/29/2020 4:26:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Shot my mags for first time in a long time.

Last round won’t feed, slide won’t lock.

Aluminum mag catch is worn down on inspection.
Follower is broken on one mag on inspection.

Ordered the steel. Waiting for CS about follower.

Edit: follower on 2 of 3 are broken where contacts slide release/lock lever. There’s an obvious issue with the mold. These have been sitting holstered in my truck door for months. Not rattling around.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/29/2020 4:29:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Sigh.
Link Posted: 8/29/2020 9:27:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I have a small pick I use that works quite well.
View Quote

A small pick is what I’ve used on larger frames (G19, G17, etc) without any issue, however, it seems much more difficult on the G43X. It takea considerably more force to disengage the spring from the catch, making the pick want to slip much easier, and gouging the inside of the frame when it does. I might try the angled pliers this time as recommended above.
Link Posted: 8/29/2020 9:29:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 1:31:44 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

A small pick is what I’ve used on larger frames (G19, G17, etc) without any issue, however, it seems much more difficult on the G43X. It takea considerably more force to disengage the spring from the catch, making the pick want to slip much easier, and gouging the inside of the frame when it does. I might try the angled pliers this time as recommended above.
View Quote

I'll try that as well when mine arrives. Good idea
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 7:11:10 PM EDT
[#27]
So are these mags gtg yet? Once you convert it's one or the other correct? I'm debating on waiting until they are readily available and grabbing a half dozen and steal catch.
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 7:22:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
So are these mags gtg yet? Once you convert it's one or the other correct? I'm debating on waiting until they are readily available and grabbing a half dozen and steal catch.
View Quote
No, there is no conversion.  OEM mags are still usable.
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 7:51:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

I was under the impression that the steel catch would wear out the OEM mags
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 7:53:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It might, but they're still usable until that happens.
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 8:40:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Last round won’t feed, slide won’t lock.

Edit: follower on 2 of 3 are broken where contacts slide release/lock lever. There’s an obvious issue with the mold. These have been sitting holstered in my truck door for months. Not rattling around.https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/298171/image_jpg-1568675.JPG
View Quote

Well shoot. I think I remember somebody reporting that G19 orange followers work.
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 8:55:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Well shoot. I think I remember somebody reporting that G19 orange followers work.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Last round won't feed, slide won't lock.

Edit: follower on 2 of 3 are broken where contacts slide release/lock lever. There's an obvious issue with the mold. These have been sitting holstered in my truck door for months. Not rattling around.https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/298171/image_jpg-1568675.JPG

They do.  I'm using G19 springs and Gen 5 followers in mine.
Link Posted: 8/31/2020 8:05:52 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

How reliable have they been?

I'm loving 15rds with a flush fit on this thing but the primary concern is reliability for me. I guess once I can get some I may as well try them myself.

Link Posted: 8/31/2020 10:30:58 AM EDT
[#34]
I picked up 6 mags plus the shield release & a hyve release this weekend for less than retail.  What are you guys using for an aiwb mag carrier with the shield mags?  Do the carriers for the glock mags work?
Link Posted: 8/31/2020 11:37:13 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I picked up 6 mags plus the shield release & a hyve release this weekend for less than retail.  What are you guys using for an aiwb mag carrier with the shield mags?  Do the carriers for the glock mags work?
View Quote

Where did you find them?
Link Posted: 8/31/2020 12:33:26 PM EDT
[#36]
@dillydilly   Guy off armslist had them.  3 out of the 6 new wrapper.  Said he bought the package for his wife for her 43x but she didn't like them because they were too heavy.  I've been stalking shields website all summer & haven't seen them in stock so I jumped on this.
Link Posted: 8/31/2020 1:07:48 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
@dillydilly   Guy off armslist had them.  3 out of the 6 new wrapper.  Said he bought the package for his wife for her 43x but she didn't like them because they were too heavy.  I've been stalking shields website all summer & haven't seen them in stock so I jumped on this.
View Quote

LUCKY SOB
Link Posted: 8/31/2020 2:13:05 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I'm loving 15rds with a flush fit on this thing but the primary concern is reliability for me. I guess once I can get some I may as well try them myself.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The shield follower and spring combo wouldn't lock the slide back during live fire.  Even manually the slide catch was only getting about 1/32" contact with the slide.  Still fed 100% though.  With the Glock guts the slide catch gets full contact with the slide, works 100%, still holds 15, still feeds perfectly.
Link Posted: 8/31/2020 3:00:04 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

LUCKY SOB
View Quote

@Dillydilly   I know.  I’ve waited too long on every other ammo/body armor deal I’ve seen this year so I jumped on this deal.  If you’ve got hesco L210 plates we can make a deal.
Link Posted: 8/31/2020 3:13:27 PM EDT
[#40]
Got my steel mag catches today.  They work very well.
Link Posted: 8/31/2020 7:43:49 PM EDT
[#41]
I received my steel mag catch today and installed. Looks like a definite improvement over the aluminum one that was already getting chewed up a bit after minimal use.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 10:24:40 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
The shield follower and spring combo wouldn't lock the slide back during live fire.  Even manually the slide catch was only getting about 1/32" contact with the slide.  Still fed 100% though.  With the Glock guts the slide catch gets full contact with the slide, works 100%, still holds 15, still feeds perfectly.
View Quote

Ordered three followers to swap out.  I feel more comfortable with those in there, I've had G19 springs in mine for a while, even though I stopped using them after seeing the aluminum catch issues.

Got my steel part on the way and will swap out the followers as soon as they get in.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 4:59:28 PM EDT
[#43]
I am sure the majority of the magazines are good to go (I hope at least), but does anyone (who has and will do so) feel rather odd about having to still swap out springs and apparently followers, etc. to get them to run more reliably than the Shield followers and springs? They have new magazine body finishes, etc. yet they are still having spring and follower issues? I 100% understand the need for the steel mag release, however if it does become common place to gut these and insert Glock 19 springs and followers, I would much rather just purchase and pay the cost of the magazine body, floor plate, and insert (I know this is highly unlikely to happen of course).

I sold off my original preorder of the Shield magazines (I believe it was the complete EDC kit) at the beginning and this is coming from someone who still runs OEM magazines. I have been keeping a close eye on this thread and thought once the steel magazine release comes out I will look to buy them again, but these latter reports are somewhat discouraging if gutting these become a standard affair. Just a thought.
Link Posted: 9/3/2020 11:01:07 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I am sure the majority of the magazines are good to go (I hope at least), but does anyone (who has and will do so) feel rather odd about having to still swap out springs and apparently followers, etc. to get them to run more reliably than the Shield followers and springs? They have new magazine body finishes, etc. yet they are still having spring and follower issues? I 100% understand the need for the steel mag release, however if it does become common place to gut these and insert Glock 19 springs and followers, I would much rather just purchase and pay the cost of the magazine body, floor plate, and insert (I know this is highly unlikely to happen of course).

I sold off my original preorder of the Shield magazines (I believe it was the complete EDC kit) at the beginning and this is coming from someone who still runs OEM magazines. I have been keeping a close eye on this thread and thought once the steel magazine release comes out I will look to buy them again, but these latter reports are somewhat discouraging if gutting these become a standard affair. Just a thought.
View Quote

Im thinking about selling mine off too.

I got the steel magazine release.  Went in fine.  I also tried swapping followers, but the front portion was exposed due to having a shorter leg, and if I wanted to, I could grab the front of the follower and start to yank it up and out of the front of the magazine.

I also noticed that when I loaded the pistol, the round didn't feed nearly as smooth as it did from the factory magazine.

I've seen other videos/pictures where it looks like the rounds look like the feed at a shallower angle and from a slightly lower position than the factory magazines.

Even if I vetted these, I feel there is still too much of a departure from the OEM geometry to really truly trust them.  As a result, I'm not sure I am going to hang on to these.  Already contemplating pulling the shield mag release out and switching back to OEM.
Link Posted: 9/3/2020 12:45:42 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I got the steel magazine release.  Went in fine.  I also tried swapping followers, but the front portion was exposed due to having a shorter leg, and if I wanted to, I could grab the front of the follower and start to yank it up and out of the front of the magazine.

I also noticed that when I loaded the pistol, the round didn't feed nearly as smooth as it did from the factory magazine.

I've seen other videos/pictures where it looks like the rounds look like the feed at a shallower angle and from a slightly lower position than the factory magazines.

Even if I vetted these, I feel there is still too much of a departure from the OEM geometry to really truly trust them.  As a result, I'm not sure I am going to hang on to these.  Already contemplating pulling the shield mag release out and switching back to OEM.
View Quote

I certainly can understand your thoughts. I never had a problem with the 10 round factory capacity though if a viable option came down the road for an additional 5 rounds I would of course be all for it. I am glad these exist and I do hope they get to a refined point where they can simply be called good to go. The Shield followers to me, feel much more brittle than a factory Glock follower. My opinion is that the Shield mags are not there yet and for my concealed carry gun, I will stick with factory, as I am much more at peace with the reliability of Glock magazines being in a Glock pistol. That said, I do shoot a 48 in IDPA and i think the Shield magazines would be great for that.
Link Posted: 9/3/2020 2:15:41 PM EDT
[#46]
Just got 4 Shield mags last week. Maybe a new batch? Changed my mag catch to a HYVE industry type. Also aluminum. Loaded all mags up to capacity and ran through them all several times.
Zero issues. No sign of wear on the catch.
Ordered the steel Shield mag catch this morning. Will use that on the 48 MOS due in tomorrow.

I'm happy and will carry them.
Link Posted: 9/3/2020 4:29:32 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

Did you try factory 19 followers or factory 43x followers?
Link Posted: 9/3/2020 9:56:51 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

Regarding the lower position, it’s important to note that Glock has revised the frame on the G43X/G48 a few times already, and the mags sit about 0.03” lower in the earlier model frames compared to the current production.
Link Posted: 9/4/2020 11:27:24 AM EDT
[#49]
Just ordered a 48 so forgive my ignorance
Are you all just back ordering from shield?
Link Posted: 9/5/2020 5:28:22 PM EDT
[#50]
They must have learned from their previous items' popularity...
Ordered my steel mag catch 8/28.  Arrived in the mail today, unfortunately AFTER my trip to the range.  So it'll have to wait for testing.
Page / 62
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top