Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/31/2021 6:09:30 PM EDT
Thinking about picking up a small .380 for my wife, though I'll probably end up shooting more than she will.  I have a couple LCP's now, but I want something a bit larger with a better trigger and sights.  I was going to get the G42 since I'm more of a Glock guy, but the Shield EZ seems like a decent option as well.  The Smith looks kind of big, is there much of a size difference?  Any reason to get one over the other?  Thanks
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 6:44:01 PM EDT
[#1]
I picked up a performance center EZ Shield 380 for my wife. Very sweet little gun. Snagged it right as covid lock-downs hit, and gun stores were starting to get cleared out.

Haven't gone to the range yet, but she really likes how easy it is to rack the slide, and I'm very impressed with the sights and trigger.

The performance center has a nicer trigger and comes with fiber optic / tritium combo sights.

Nothing against the Glock, but I went with the EZ Shield as I didn't have any intention to carry it, wasn't something of decent size to be easier to shoot and handle. If carrying is a factor, the Glock may be a little better.
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 7:18:44 PM EDT
[#2]
The G42 is the better gun, but the EZ is easier if there are issues with racking the slide or you want a manual safety. I'd let your wife decide. Mine chose the 42 and now owns 2 of them.
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 9:17:32 PM EDT
[#3]
The 42 isan amazing gun.  I love mine.  Zero recoil and accurate.  Easy to pocket carry.  I have not shot the S&W 380..but have held it.  Prefer the Glock.  I'm sure it's nice.  I really like my 45 shield...for me its Glock no question..your wife may differ...
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 9:20:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the replies.  My wife deemed the Shield EZ ugly, so it looks like I'll be trying to track down a G42.
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 9:22:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Does she shoot regularly?
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 9:24:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for the replies.  My wife deemed the Shield EZ ugly, so it looks like I'll be trying to track down a G42.
View Quote

She’s right. They’re ugly. Especially the ones with anodized parts. Strong wish.com vibe.
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 11:15:21 AM EDT
[#7]
The Glock 42 is a gem in the Glock line of handguns. Shoots like a laser and recoil is about that of a .22 LR. Very comfortable to shoot and carry, if desired. Just be careful when you get her one, as you will want one yourself.
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 12:28:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Picked up a G42 this morning.  Neat little gun, I'm looking forward to trying it out.  I'm sure my wife will like it as well.  Off to order some mags...
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 11:16:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Picked up a G42 this morning.  Neat little gun, I'm looking forward to trying it out.  I'm sure my wife will like it as well.  Off to order some mags...
View Quote

Make sure to test your carry ammo in it.

I've had two.  One of the first ones that came out, and a recent production I bout 6 months ago.  Both were ammo finicky.  I would assume it's due to the recoil spring & seems to favor hotter loads.  But just test a few mags of whatever you decide to carry in it for proper function.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 2:47:26 PM EDT
[#10]
anecdote, make what you want of it... when I purchased my G42 (I added Dawson Sights) I took it to a USPSA match...after the match 8 guys on the squad said they would like to shoot it (it was relatively new on the market)... I had one box left of Fiocchi ball that I was using to break in the gun... I gave each of them a chance to dry fire, and one 5 round mag... then I shot the remaining 10 rounds... on an IPSC metric target at 18m all 50 rounds were in the A zone...
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 2:21:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Bought 42s for me and my youngest daughter. I love shooting mine, just for shooting fun, but my daughter seldom gets through a whole magazine without a malfunction. Either pistol. I've never had a single malfunction shooting either.

She is a young woman and I'm a strong, 240 lb man. The only thing i can figure is limp wristing on her part.

I ended up giving her my 100% reliable Keltec P3AT. It functions perfectly for her, too.

I would not recommend the 42 for weaker individuals.

Bought my other daughter a Shield EZ 9mm. Zero issues in her hand, nor mine. She loves the thing and shoots it well.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 1:43:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Went with 380 EZ for longer grip to get the pinky seated, 8 rds vs 6rds in the G42, and cheaper price.

The Galloway precision trigger mod is nice for the EZ.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 8:44:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
anecdote, make what you want of it... when I purchased my G42 (I added Dawson Sights) I took it to a USPSA match...after the match 8 guys on the squad said they would like to shoot it (it was relatively new on the market)... I had one box left of Fiocchi ball that I was using to break in the gun... I gave each of them a chance to dry fire, and one 5 round mag... then I shot the remaining 10 rounds... on an IPSC metric target at 18m all 50 rounds were in the A zone...
View Quote

What kind of Dawson’s did you put on yours?
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 4:49:06 PM EDT
[#14]
380EZ is a nice shooting pistol but imop the mag release button is stupid easy to accidentally depress and drop mag.

43X is a better pistol in similar size.
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 5:52:22 PM EDT
[#15]
The 380EZ is exceptionally easy to rack and the magazines are very easy to load.  

Those are the two distinct advantages it has over the Glock 42.  

Otherwise they are identical to the shooter. I absolutely do not believe the Glock is a higher quality gun at all.  I put them both at equal quality.  

Personally I carry a 48 upper on a 43 lower when I don’t have my 19.  My wife has the 380EZ.  

If it makes any difference (doesn’t to me).  The 42 is striker fired and the 380EZ is hammer fired.  If you didn’t know.
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 6:02:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The 380EZ is exceptionally easy to rack and the magazines are very easy to load.  

Those are the two distinct advantages it has over the Glock 42.  

Otherwise they are identical to the shooter. I absolutely do not believe the Glock is a higher quality gun at all.  I put them both at equal quality.  

Personally I carry a 48 upper on a 43 lower when I don’t have my 19.  My wife has the 380EZ.  

If it makes any difference (doesn’t to me).  The 42 is striker fired and the 380EZ is hammer fired.  If you didn’t know.
View Quote

Just remember the EZ does not have any internal firing pin block safety. If you have the EZ without an external safety and carry it with a round in the chamber, you have exactly the same condition as a loaded, cocked 1911 with the safety off. No one alive would carry in that condition, but they do with the EZ. I'm convinced they are ignorant of the internals and don't realize it.
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 6:21:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Never seen an EZ without a safely.   Didn’t know they existed.  

I assumed they all were like the 1911 with a safety and grip safety.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 10:14:35 AM EDT
[#18]
The 380EZ has a grip safety regardless of whether or not you select a thumb safety.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 12:30:24 PM EDT
[#19]
To the OP, every woman who has fired my Glock 42 has had at least one limpwrist malfunction on the first shot, and often later shots as well. You're not going to have that with the Shield EZ, but it is a larger enough gun that it fits into a different size class where most people will have to dress around the gun for concealed-carry, as opposed to the Glock 42, which I have carried in all types of attire, from formal to summer casual.

Quoted:
Just remember the EZ does not have any internal firing pin block safety. If you have the EZ without an external safety and carry it with a round in the chamber, you have exactly the same condition as a loaded, cocked 1911 with the safety off. No one alive would carry in that condition, but they do with the EZ. I'm convinced they are ignorant of the internals and don't realize it.
View Quote

A safety is a safety. What are you worried will happen? If you drop it on its muzzle and the grip safety moves forward from inertia, the trigger won't be pulled because it has to pivot in the opposite direction to the inertia. If you drop it on its rear and the trigger pulls from inertia, the grip safety won't be pressed because, again, it's configured to move in an opposite direction from the trigger. This isn't like the P320 where there is nothing to prevent the trigger from pulling back when it's dropped.

As for "nobody alive carrying a 1911 without a thumb safety," have you seen some of John Browning's early designs? IIRC, this is EXACTLY how he originally intended the gun that eventually became the 1911 to be carried. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wf-NwV-ydzg
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 1:29:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Here is a link to Numrich Arms where they have S&W M&P Shield 380 EZ parts for sale.   There is a firing pin block sold for the 380 EZ.  If you look at the 380 EZ firing pin there are two notches.  One notch closest to the firing pin tip is the block attached to the grip safety.  Thr rear notch is for the firing pin block.

There is a Galloway Precision video with instructions for installing their flat faced trigger.  It describes in the video on re-installing the FCG and alligning the firing pin block riser and the lifter for the grip safety.  

I think the 380 EZ or 9 EZ no thumb safety model would be safe to carry concealed in a holster with a covered trigger guard.  The S&W M&P Shield 380/9 EZ should be safe if dropped onto a hard surface with a cartridge in the chamber.   I’m not a fan of the grip safety on the EZ as it is hinged on the bottom opposite of the 1911 grip safety.   I’ve seen shooters have difficulty releasing the grip safety under stress.   I don’t think the design needs a grip safety but S&W never asked me.

The S&W M&P Shield 380 EZ in not a small pistol and is the size of a Glock 43X or 48.   For a pistol in that size you might as well go to a 9 mm pistol.   I personally don’t think there is significant difference in recoil of the 380 EZ compared to the 9 MM EZ.

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-manufacturer/smith-wesson/auto-pistols-sw/mp-380-shield-ez

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_m2q655VIpM
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 1:40:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Good point. Sure looks like there is a FPB to me.

Link Posted: 5/7/2021 7:54:07 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Never seen an EZ without a safely.   Didn’t know they existed.  

I assumed they all were like the 1911 with a safety and grip safety.
View Quote

You can get them with or without.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top