Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/24/2021 10:07:43 PM EDT
This question is legit and not meant to start a bar brawl....

I had a Glock 23.2 blow up on me, 2002, I just had hernia surgery and was at my local range.  The RO saw what happened, rushed to me to check me out for shrapnel and asked be to lift my shirt.  He freaked out, as I had 9 sutures and I had to calm him down....any way back to my discussion

I sent the pistol back to Glock, they took care of it, no questions....I was shooting Federal American Eagle, Red Box, 180 grain, FMJ.....factory ammo.

I sold my Glock .40 calibers (three G23's and one 27)....

Was this a known issue? Did they make any changes from the .2 generations to the current.

The reason I am asking, I would like to get back into the .40.  My BIL has a contact with a lot of .40 FMJ that we have access to.

Link Posted: 2/24/2021 10:48:51 PM EDT
[#1]
It was.  There were significant improvements.  Google glock chamber support images to see it for yourself.  Good luck.  Anything after about 2007 should be the latest chambering.  If you wanted to update an older pistol, aftermarket barrels from kkm or LW, or a later glock barrel is an easy fix.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 11:03:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Oh yeah was a real thing. Not just internet hooplah.  

Like he said above they changed the chamber to be more supportive. I had an informational document regarding it some place.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 12:31:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Name brand aftermarket barrel in .40 or drop in a Glock .357 SIG barrel and don't look back!
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 12:57:25 AM EDT
[#4]
State issued us for LE duty use Gen 3 Glock 22 in 2003 and I've run Gen 3 and Gen 4 with no problems. Gen 5 is out now and has the dam finger groves removed so that would be what I would look for.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:13:50 AM EDT
[#5]
I did not know I hated finger grooves until I got  G19X and a G45!
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:59:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Gen 3 g23 has been good to me.  I shoot it better than all my 9mm stuff for some reason
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 2:10:48 AM EDT
[#7]
I would get gen5 if I was going back to 40 slides are thicker so they are being built the way they should've been to begin with.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 2:15:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Early .40 Glocks like your Gen 2 had really bad unsupported chambers.  Glock fixed this a looong time ago, but a lot of dummies on the internet refuse to accept this and still go on and on about "Glock bulge" as if it's still a thing.  Now Glock .40 chambers are just as supported as most other mfgs' .40 barrels.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:31:04 AM EDT
[#9]
I rarely if ever run 40 in anything other then a HiPoint carbine I bought specifically just because even though I am not fan of the 40 S&W chambering over the years of picking up range brass I ended up with a freaking 5 gallon bucket nearly full of brass in that chambering.

That said I do love the 357-Sig chambering and run Glocks in that chambering and I run some pretty hot handloads.  So far I haven't had any blowouts and any "Glock Bulge" is pretty minor if at all and it isn't just Glocks that you can get a very slight bulge with that although usually not visible to the naked eye you can find with a micro-meter or a good set of calipers.

I just run my cases through a Lee push through die and don't worry about it.

Allmost all my "Glock" barrels in the 357-Sig are aftermarket.  Mainly KKM & Lone Wolf with one "Rock Slide" brand barrel which I got in trade as part of a complete G31 pattern gun that was traded to in lew of a monthly payment on a debt from someone who didn't have the cash.

The only actual Glock brand barrel I run is in a G33.3

To be honest the one gun I actually have that gives me a "Glock Bulge" that is big enough and consistent enough to be slightly disturbing is an AR pattern blow back 16" barrel carbine made using a 9mm barrel with chamber recut to 357-Sig run with a 10mm blow back bolt with extra tungsten weights  in the bolt body and as heavy of buffer as I could scrounge up running with a Glock mag lower.  That one does give me some visible bulging but it's a slight ring all around the base that you can just barely see.  So far no blowouts with it either though and if it truly annoyed me enough I do know I can stop it by making 357-Sig brass out of 10mm brass to get the heavier stronger head of the 10mm brass although it does noticeably reduce my powder volume.

So, yah, if you are really worried enough you can trim down 10mm brass to 40-S&W length and use that in your loads.  I know that completely solves the issue in 357-Sig, don't see any reason why it wouldn't work for 40-S&W as well!
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 9:44:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Early .40 Glocks like your Gen 2 had really bad unsupported chambers.  Glock fixed this a looong time ago, but a lot of dummies on the internet refuse to accept this and still go on and on about "Glock bulge" as if it's still a thing.  Now Glock .40 chambers are just as supported as most other mfgs' .40 barrels.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

@M4A87

This is why I am here asking, so much lingering internet BS out there....

Now Glock .40 chambers are just as supported as most other mfgs' .40 barrels.
.....This is what I read some time back....figuredI would ask again

Really wold like to get a 23.5, if they are available....will be the same frame as my 23.2

And like @DasRonin mentioned above, I did not remember how nice the non finger groove frames were until I purchased my G45
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:53:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Not a dumb question. That was issue that caused
Glock to go to 3-pin frame.

Early gen 2 G23's had two pin frame if I recall
correctly. It's what soured me on the .40 cal.
ETA: adding the 3rd pin fixed the issue from my memory
@77bronc
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 2:06:45 PM EDT
[#12]
My gen 2 23 wears a KKM barrel. Runs perfectly. A load for multiple .40’s and never have a problem.

The old stories linger on.

Had a bad box of Winchester white box. One round blew up in my gen 4 22 while shooting at a GSSF match.

Two other rounds in the box had crinkled cases. Bad factory rounds happen.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 2:15:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Not a dumb question. That was issue that caused
Glock to go to 3-pin frame.

Early gen 2 G23's had two pin frame if I recall
correctly. It's what soured me on the .40 cal.

ETA: adding the 3rd pin fixed the issue from my memory
View Quote

@NTXGlocker

Good point....I am almost positive my 23.2 had three pins....IIRC, has been a while.  The way I remember, when I got my G45 I remember thinking my first two pin Glock.

Could I have had a Gen 3 model 23?  I remember buying them during the AW Ban, getting mags was an issue.  One of them I paid $199 used as a trade in, it was like new.  Came with one 13 round mag.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 4:20:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
@M4A87

This is why I am here asking, so much lingering internet BS out there....

.....This is what I read some time back....figuredI would ask again

Really wold like to get a 23.5, if they are available....will be the same frame as my 23.2

And like @DasRonin mentioned above, I did not remember how nice the non finger groove frames were until I purchased my G45
View Quote

In case I wasn't clear, I wasn't calling you one of those internet dummies . Nothing wrong with asking the question. But there are people out there who still think there's an issue with chamber support on Glock .40 barrels and that these barrels bulge brass, even though Glock fixed this like 15+ years ago.

All .40 Glocks came with the 3 pin frame (until the Gen 5). The 3 pin frame was designed for the .40 as Glock thought the 2 pin frame used on the 9mms wasn't strong enough. Early .40 Glock frames also had longer rear frame rails for a short period of time.

The issues you're talking about are related to chamber support. I tried looking for a picture last night of an early Glock .40 barrel vs. current ones, but couldn't find a good one. The difference in chamber support is huge. Those early ones were really bad with a lot of the case wall exposed.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 7:12:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

In case I wasn't clear, I wasn't calling you one of those internet dummies . Nothing wrong with asking the question. But there are people out there who still think there's an issue with chamber support on Glock .40 barrels and that these barrels bulge brass, even though Glock fixed this like 15+ years ago.

All .40 Glocks came with the 3 pin frame (until the Gen 5). The 3 pin frame was designed for the .40 as Glock thought the 2 pin frame used on the 9mms wasn't strong enough. Early .40 Glock frames also had longer rear frame rails for a short period of time.

The issues you're talking about are related to chamber support. I tried looking for a picture last night of an early Glock .40 barrel vs. current ones, but couldn't find a good one. The difference in chamber support is huge. Those early ones were really bad with a lot of the case wall exposed.
View Quote

@M4A87

Oh no, I did not take it that way at all, just wanted to ask about the current status as I have been away from the Glock .40 scene for almost 20 years....

All is good  
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 8:26:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Give GT Distributors a try for a .40 Gen 5 model.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 9:16:40 PM EDT
[#17]
My G22 gen5 mos is probably my favorite shooting pistol. Buy one and don't look back.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 9:34:42 PM EDT
[#18]
I forgot I ordered a gen5 23 back in October.  It showed up yesterday, I'll pick it up in the morning.
Sadly my gen3 32 barrel won't fit so it'll sit in the safe while I hope an aftermarket 357 barrel comes out for it.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 9:54:36 AM EDT
[#19]
I didn't have my G22 blow up...

But I did have both rear frame rails sheer off while shooting it.  It was a 2002/2003 timeframe G22.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 10:24:36 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 11:07:29 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I didn't have my G22 blow up...

But I did have both rear frame rails sheer off while shooting it.  It was a 2002/2003 timeframe G22.
View Quote

Sheared frame rails is the Glock failure that I've personally witnessed.  Well, plus a lot of brass-to-head, brass-to-face, dribbled brass, brass flipped over in the ejection port (inverted stove pipe), etc.  The only "deadlined" problem though was frame rails.

A 40SW specific problem I had was with a pair of G22 Gen 3 with Streamlight TLR-1 WML on them. I bought the G22's for "bedside only" duty since I was carrying G23 and G27s at the time.  The G22 with the WML would frequently fail to feed with the light on, but pop off the light and it would run 100%.
Link Posted: 3/12/2021 5:09:42 PM EDT
[#22]
I've had a G2 23 for about 25yrs. Didn't really shoot in much until the last 5 years.

Only shot factory rounds through it when I took a 4 day class and occasionally some defense rounds to insure function. After the class 4 yrs ago it became my primary pistol. Probably 5k through it now with reloads and never an issue. No bulged brass. 155gr, 165 and 180 in lead, hitec coated and FMJ pull down bullets. Always load close to or at full charge to mimic a carry load.

I bulge bust the cases every time they get loaded and have only used pick up brass to reload with. No issues so far.

Been thinking about a 357 Sig barrel since mags are the same and can use 9mm bullets.

My son has a G3 23 and feels and shoots the same except he put on big dot sights. I don't really like them, but he does. He has a 9mm barrel for it too.
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 2:14:33 AM EDT
[#23]
My G22 is a 1990 - first year of production.  I bought it then, new.  It remains all original except that I did upgrade the barrel to a fully supported chamber version (Glock brand) when they became available, and the Trijicon night sights I had installed at the time I bought it have been replaced several times,

Its been completely dependable and has needed no servuce beyond routine cleaning.  It has only about 1,000-1200 rounds or so total, though it, however.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top