Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/19/2018 7:12:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Hell No!  You already bowed down Burton.  I doubt you know the finer points of custom pistols and just buy off the shelf.  I’m positive you have never demanded a pistol to perform or pushed one to 67K.

Post away.  I just smile (I bet Burton smiles a bit too).
Link Posted: 6/19/2018 9:13:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

They don’t need raised metal, but they do need enough to checker.  I had a Colt machine checkered at 25lpi, some can only handle 30 or more.   Baer’s frames are thicker in the front strap than any other.  If they undercut the trigger guard more it would be more apparent.  I’ve seen Baers with the checkering machined off and re-checkered at 20lpi.

I prefer machine checkering over hand.
View Quote
Factory machined checkering is done on frames with a raised pad on the front strap. If you send a pistol in for machinecut checkering human hands finish the top of it. Unless someones found a way around it recently go look at a Springfield TRP or Professional or Ed Brown the checkering is on top of the front strap. Ive owned all 3 of those and then my Baer TR Jim Gartwaite and SA Loaded that I had SACS hand checker the tips of the Diamonds sat even with the metal of the rest of the frame. Garthwaite even after adding metal to my Colt and SACS both did perfect beautiful work that was better than the Baer but the price difference didnt really equal out.
Link Posted: 6/19/2018 10:05:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, the top and sometimes the bottom has to be blended to get the valleys to finish even.

I like the slightly thicker frontstraps on the Springfields and Wilsons,  Brown keeps the frontstrap smaller than most.

I don’t know why Baer uses such a thick frontstrap.

Did Garthwaite weld in a whole new frontstrap on your Colt?

I never liked the Colt I had checkered because it made the frontstrap smaller and didn’t feel right.  It was machine cut 25lpi.
Link Posted: 6/19/2018 10:52:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Yeah, the top and sometimes the bottom has to be blended to get the valleys to finish even.

I like the slightly thicker frontstraps on the Springfields and Wilsons,  Brown keeps the frontstrap smaller than most.

I never liked the Colt I had checkered because it made the frontstrap smaller and didn’t feel right.  It was machine cut 25lpi.
View Quote
Hard chromed I dont know for sure the hand written receipt indicated weld cut and checker fronstrap. That was a beautiful piece 38 SUPER comp Novaks Brown BT SnA the whole 9 yards very 1995 in at the time beauty but she was a cursed little bitch.
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 8:17:22 AM EDT
[#5]
I have to agree with Samuse on liking the SA frame (no experience with Wilson) than say a Colt or even my DW frame. I have fairly large hands and I like the beefier feel of the SA/Baer style frames.
I don't care for 20lpi that SA uses, but their machine high cut 25lpi is damn near perfect. DW 25lpi is nice as well, but doesn't seem as sharp as SA which I don't mind.
Baer's 30 lpi is good, not as good as SA or DW 25lpi, but I haven't had it slip from my hands so far. I would prefer Baer to start using 25lpi, but Uncle Les doesn't like change, it's his way or no way.

Other than Baer's, I have no experience with hand checkering and with my limited knowledge, I doubt I could truly see the imperfections unless someone pointed them out to me.

Edit: This was sacrificed, wish it wasn't, but this was about the best feeling checkering I've ever felt.

Link Posted: 6/20/2018 8:28:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
Weird. My Colt was machine cut 25lpi, and it feels great.
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 8:29:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I have to agree with Samuse on liking the SA frame (no experience with Wilson) than say a Colt or even my DW frame. I have fairly large hands and I like the beefier feel of the SA/Baer style frames.
I don't care for 20lpi that SA uses, but their machine high cut 25lpi is damn near perfect. DW 25lpi is nice as well, but doesn't seem as sharp as SA which I don't mind.
Baer's 30 lpi is good, not as good as SA or DW 25lpi, but I haven't had it slip from my hands so far. I would prefer Baer to start using 25lpi, but Uncle Les doesn't like change, it's his way or no way.

Other than Baer's, I have no experience with hand checkering and with my limited knowledge, I doubt I could truly see the imperfections unless someone pointed them out to me.

Edit: This was sacrificed, wish it wasn't, but this was about the best feeling checkering I've ever felt.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4216/35694706315_25be459270_b.jpg
View Quote
Honestly, I don't even notice it when I'm shooting.
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 8:35:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Wilson has switched from 30 LPI to 25 LPI.
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 9:11:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Wilson has switched from 30 LPI to 25 LPI.
View Quote
They damn sure are.  Did thet redo your two-tone with 25 or 30?   Finally prompted me to order one.  Apparently they’ll do 20 too, on Supergrades at least.

Baer will do 20 if you order it.
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 9:17:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

They damn sure are.  Did thet redo your two-tone with 25 or 30?   Finally prompted me to order one.  Apparently they'll do 20 too, on Supergrades at least.

View Quote
The redo came back 25. The MSH was still 30, though. I contacted them about that and another issue and they are building me a new gun.
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 10:11:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The redo came back 25. The MSH was still 30, though. I contacted them about that and another issue and they are building me a new gun.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They damn sure are.  Did thet redo your two-tone with 25 or 30?   Finally prompted me to order one.  Apparently they'll do 20 too, on Supergrades at least.

Wow!   What else was wrong with it?
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 10:20:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Wow!   What else was wrong with it?  
View Quote
When I got it back the checkering was great, but the frontstrap wasn't parallel to the grips. Between that and the mismatched checkering they just decided to build me a new gun.
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 8:54:33 PM EDT
[#13]
I bought a used Taurus PT-1911 for the frame to make a dedicated .22 with my Kimber upper and was surprised to find machined checkering on it. I don't like real aggressive checkering so it suited me just fine.

The pistol I have was made in 2013 and it looks like Taurus still does it.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top