Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/8/2018 8:14:19 PM EDT
Is it possible to do a front strap via CNC milling instead of hand? If so, why don't more mfgrs do this? Checkering makes ALL the difference in the way a 1911 feels in one's hand(s), IMO.

Yes, I realize there's some cost involved. But IF a machine is doing it, can't they just bump the price by $50 or so? Seems like a trade that's well worth it, IMO. Hell, I see $1200 1911s with no front strap checkering. That's ludicrous, IMO.

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 6/8/2018 8:24:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes it can be done on a CNC machine. I don't know why more companys don't do it
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 5:43:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Shit, I should be in charge of some company's R&D department.  

Think how much better a SA Range Officer or Colt models would be with checkering?  
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 9:52:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Most companies do machine checkering....

Top quality hand checkering is an art form almost.

From what I can tell hand checkering is a little nicer in the hand but you pay for it and typically machine checkering is perfect where only the best guys can make it perfect by hand
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 4:01:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Springfield offered very reasonable machine checkering before they stopped doing work.
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 4:33:55 PM EDT
[#5]
The only one that does hand checkering is Baer.  That’s why it looks all fucked up.

Machine checkering is better in every way than hand.
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 4:57:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Most companies do machine checkering....

Top quality hand checkering is an art form almost.

From what I can tell hand checkering is a little nicer in the hand but you pay for it and typically machine checkering is perfect where only the best guys can make it perfect by hand
View Quote
The best hand checkering is great to hold and to see.

Mediocre hand checkering hurts the eyes.

It has to be tip-top hand checkering to beat machine checkering.
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 5:12:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Why don't they all do it?
Because not everyone likes it, and those who do will argue for hours over what LPI is best. :)
Smooth frontstrap, checkering, serrations, golfball dimples, snakeskin, etc., etc.  The variety of pistols on the market reflects the variety of buyers' tastes.
Viva la difference!
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 6:03:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 6:03:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Machine checkering provides straighter and more consistent diamonds but it will require cleanup at the ends of the vertical rows for best results.

Good hand checkering involves a level of detail and customization (borders, etc.) that is hard to achieve on a machine.   My favorite is machine cut checkering that is then finished by hand.

I agree that is easier to do on a frame that you are already machining.  It's a lot more work to do it on a random frame that may not even have a straight frontstrap.
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 6:24:49 PM EDT
[#10]
I just throw some skateboard tape up there and call it a day
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 6:34:12 PM EDT
[#11]
My first attempt

1990's IPSC blaster

2nd one ( after METALIFE HC )

3rd one

Link Posted: 6/9/2018 6:46:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Why don't they all do it?
Because not everyone likes it, and those who do will argue for hours over what LPI is best. :)
View Quote
Much like light rails: offer some with it, some without it. That way people HAVE A CHOICE. Currently, one has to get up in the $1300+ range of a 1911 in order to get checkering.

You know why *I* never bought a SA RO? Because the front isn't checkered. My Colt LW Commander in .38Super would be PERFECT if it had checkering. Being poor like me, *I* can't afford to send it off & pay $200 to have it done. What I can do is pay an extra $50 on the retail end for it having it already on it.

As for the LPI argument, if one doesn't like it, buy a non-checkered one & have it done.
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 6:50:59 PM EDT
[#13]
As for why it's not standard...it's easier to add than it is to take away. For CCW and daily carry, some shooters prefer the smooth surface to prevent wear on their clothing and chafing on the skin.
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 7:13:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Good to know....
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good to know....
Well.  It does kinda depend on who does it...
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 7:27:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Currently, one has to get up in the $1300+ range of a 1911 in order to get checkering.
View Quote
My Sig tacops 1911 has front strap checkering and was about $700 new when they were clearing them out in gunbroker a while ago.
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 10:18:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I just throw some skateboard tape up there and call it a day
View Quote
This. Most my hard use guns to include my duty gun have skate board tape from the local skate shop.....with the exception of my custom carry springer and pro....which I believe the pro has hand checker....that is legit.  I can def. tell the difference between my machine checkered CC and hand checkered pro.
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 11:02:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

This. Most my hard use guns to include my duty gun have skate board tape from the local skate shop.....with the exception of my custom carry springer and pro....which I believe the pro has hand checker....that is legit.  I can def. tell the difference between my machine checkered CC and hand checkered pro.
View Quote
I think the pro has the same checkering as the trp.
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 11:26:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Think how much better a SA Range Officer or Colt models would be with checkering?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

this fully!
I can't understand why more don't

I think the remington carry  and dan wessons are the cheapest options with FSC
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 11:49:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Good to know....
View Quote
Hes wrong but I have a feeling you know that.
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 5:26:16 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

same LPI  but hand checkered, not machine checkered like the TRP....my custom carry was also specd machine checkered.  The machine is alot "sharper" to me.....where as the hand checkering on my PRO has what feels like slightly duller points.
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 7:21:08 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 12:16:09 PM EDT
[#22]
View Quote
nice
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 12:26:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Good to know....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good to know....
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 12:53:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 1:01:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Dont just dont even waste your time.
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 1:09:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Dont just dont even waste your time.
View Quote
Skateboard or stair tread tape is much better than the cheese grater.
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 1:56:38 PM EDT
[#27]
My thoughts are that it might make sense for factories to offer it as an option.

For myself, I don't like checkering. I admire the skill and patience required to do quality hand checkering but at most I would prefer serrations.
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 5:44:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Skateboard or stair tread tape is much better than the cheese grater.
View Quote
I hear super glue works well too...........    
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 6:03:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 8:56:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I disagree.  I have a 1911 that has dimpled front strap.  I wanted to see what checkered was like before I did it.  For $8 I put one on and carried as well as shot it.  I also decided on 30lpi as my checkerering pattern as it was a carry gun.  That little front strap really helped. Me narrow things down.  It never slipped and was better than a smooth front strap.
View Quote
Dude they suck. Ive owned them any smith worth a shit will have examples if your on the fence. Also guys machine cut on a production level requires a different frame so the expense might be more than 50 bucks.
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 10:27:00 PM EDT
[#31]
Y'all must laugh at my Hogue grips.
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 4:33:03 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote
Wouldnt be my first choice but ahead of that Wilson garbage that thing and Shhok Buff are probably why I couldn't get into WC. Hell I went with Les Baer over Wilson and I met Baer at the racetrack and realized he was a dick. lol
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 4:33:04 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote
Wouldnt be my first choice but ahead of that Wilson garbage that thing and Shhok Buff are probably why I couldn't get into WC. Hell I went with Les Baer over Wilson and I met Baer at the racetrack and realized he was a dick. lol
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 8:19:45 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Hell I went with Les Baer over Wilson and I met Baer at the racetrack and realized he was a dick. lol
View Quote
Uncle Les might be a contrary old bastard BUT he builds a damn fine 1911.

He might've been in a mood because he was losing at the track, ever think of that?  
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 10:50:00 PM EDT
[#35]
A DE1911GSS comes with a checkered front strap and will run you about 800$. That is if you can get past the gigantic billboard and the moonies.
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 10:53:36 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 7:31:30 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Good to know....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good to know....
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 7:47:05 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
The only one that does hand checkering is Baer.  That’s why it looks all fucked up.

View Quote
Well, my Baer pistols with 20 lpi & 30 lpi are straight and true, not fucked up.

A Machine can’t complete the checkering on the front strap do to tooling interference. All machine checkering has to be finished by hand.   There’s a difference between hand and machine checkering, and hand checkering feels way better in the hand.   I’m positive Jason Burton of Heirloom Precision can out checker a machine.  
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 4:17:27 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote
So, an add on checkered frontstrap and a buffer kept you from considering a Wilson?
Link Posted: 6/18/2018 5:23:48 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
So, an add on checkered frontstrap and a buffer kept you from considering a Wilson?
View Quote
Yep and his guys work wasnt worth the 5 to 750 buck premium
Link Posted: 6/18/2018 5:41:48 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Yep and his guys work wasnt worth the 5 to 750 buck premium
View Quote
I'm confused. Wilsons don't come with an add on checkered front strap.
Link Posted: 6/18/2018 8:09:27 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Well, my Baer pistols with 20 lpi & 30 lpi are straight and true, not fucked up.

A Machine can’t complete the checkering on her front strap do to tooling interference. All machine checkering has to be finished by hand.   There’s a difference between hand and machine checkering, and hand checkering feels way better in the hand.   I’m positive Jason Burton of Heirloom Precision can out checker a machine.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A Machine can’t complete the checkering on her front strap do to tooling interference. All machine checkering has to be finished by hand.   There’s a difference between hand and machine checkering, and hand checkering feels way better in the hand.   I’m positive Jason Burton of Heirloom Precision can out checker a machine.  
Post high res pics of Baer’s checkering from the side and we’ll see.
Link Posted: 6/18/2018 8:39:47 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I'm confused. Wilsons don't come with an add on checkered front strap.
View Quote
His shop was 5 to 700 more than every other shop for the same stuff say Ed Brown for example.
Link Posted: 6/18/2018 8:44:05 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote
Honestly I was impressed with my TR Special. Do they reach the level of some small shops final product? No but they dont cost 7500 bills either.
Link Posted: 6/18/2018 9:11:39 PM EDT
[#45]
Hand checkering may be "better", but honestly it feels so similar to me that I can't tell the difference if it's done right. I had machine checkering done by SACS on my last gun, and it's excellent.
Link Posted: 6/18/2018 10:16:13 PM EDT
[#46]
So I love checkering and prefer 20 LPI or 25 for carry....

Needed to add checkering to this Sokol 5” .45 but it’s honestly way back in the shoot rotation and really just a backup these days so I didn’t wanna put more cash into it right now since Nighthawk is getting my spare gun money so.....

Skateboard tape to the rescue.... it’s not pretty but it’ll do.... temporarily.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/19/2018 4:55:43 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The checkering on my Baer is just fine, does what it is supposed to do and my fingers don't see in hi-rez
Link Posted: 6/19/2018 5:16:35 PM EDT
[#48]
You could stipple it with a center punch too.

Machine cut checkering leaves cleaner, sharper points than a file. And unless you’re one the few 1911 plumbers who can, machine checkering is also straighter than hand cut.
Link Posted: 6/19/2018 5:21:46 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Machine cut checkering leaves cleaner, sharper points than a file. And unless you’re one the few 1911 plumbers who can, machine checkering is also straighter than hand cut.
View Quote
Just not a fan of the raised metal the machine needs.
Link Posted: 6/19/2018 6:16:49 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They don’t need raised metal, but they do need enough to checker.  I had a Colt machine checkered at 25lpi, some can only handle 30 or more.   Baer’s frames are thicker in the front strap than any other.  If they undercut the trigger guard more it would be more apparent.  I’ve seen Baers with the checkering machined off and re-checkered at 20lpi.

I prefer machine checkering over hand.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top