Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/10/2024 1:47:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Whiterabbit2u]
Picked up this P226 for a "can't pass it up" price. The frame # date it as a '05 gun but the slide is a "JK" W. GERMANY '89 date. Furthermore...... the slide has no SN. and neither does the barrel. The bore is chrome and perfect too. Yes, the mag catch is MIA. It's in a baggie, dude couldn't figure out how to reinstall it and lost the mag release catch and it's lil' spring after........... he spray painted the whole freak'n gun red!
Now, should I try to trade the W. German slide for a correct short extractor slide or go ahead and use it as is?  I got a SRT kit and mag catch hardware in route, next would be some good Trijicon sights.
Whats' my odds of getting a slide swap and the deeper issue is why is this slide factory milled where the SN would be???

Thanks all,
Mike
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dNBcyY2yN6MGNAJPxh7-bRlIXDFjevdZ/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ut6QynoXVF-xF_CQW8m7ZgVtvnrauXBP/view?usp=sharing
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 1:53:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: eric496] [#1]
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Don't really have answers to your questions, but here's the pics.
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 2:01:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Put it together and see if it shoots.

If yes, then run it.  Those older slides are arguably of superior construction than the newer ones.
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 2:03:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Before someone comes in here and says some BS about removing the slide ser# being a crime, ITS NOT. I would bet surplus slides were being sold at some point and Sig didn't have complete guns to associate with those numbers so they were sold as parts sans ser#s.
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 2:04:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Some Swiss and German Police Department required. The department’s markings be milled out before import. My guess is this is a parts kit put together from that era.
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 2:04:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Czechers:
Before someone comes in here and says some BS about removing the slide ser# being a crime, ITS NOT. I would bet surplus slides were being sold at some point and Sig didn't have complete guns to associate with those numbers so they were sold as parts sans ser#s.
View Quote

That would be my guess too.
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 2:37:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Whiterabbit2u] [#6]
Thanks Eric for posting those pics.
I've seen guns with obliterated markings and this looks too nice for that and the Swiss Sigs all have their lil' shield markings still on the left side of the slide. Odd.....
I did hold the mag in the gun and fired off a few rnds after removing the stupid paint. I guess he thought he was Deadpool. 😂
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 4:22:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By fla556guy:
Put it together and see if it shoots.

If yes, then run it.  Those older slides are arguably of superior construction than the newer ones.
View Quote
This^^^  you have options either way, looks to be in decent shape.
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 10:24:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By piperpa24:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By fla556guy: Put it together and see if it shoots.

Aren't the older slides folded w/ blocks welded in and the newer ones machined from billet b/c the old ones couldn't handle .40 S&W?
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 12:13:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By 18B30:
Some Swiss and German Police Department required. The department’s markings be milled out before import. My guess is this is a parts kit put together from that era.
View Quote

Damn, I was going to ask about that. I just ordered a P226R in 40S&W from AIM Surplus and don't remember if the slide was milled like that.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 5:10:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MK318] [#10]
Originally Posted By backbencher:

Aren't the older slides folded w/ blocks welded in and the newer ones machined from billet b/c the old ones couldn't handle .40 S&W?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By backbencher:
Originally Posted By fla556guy: Put it together and see if it shoots.

The carbon steel folded slides had a pinned breach block and an internal extractor and were strictly 9mm as I recall. When .40 S&W started gaining traction Sig started developing their .357 Sig round and redesigned the P226 slide to be made out of stainless steel. They also introduced the P229 which was the same size as their very popular P228, even using the same frame but with a stainless steel slide so that it could be offered in 9mm, .40 and .357 Sig. The OPs gun appears to be a police trade in P226 with the old carbon slide and the older German made R frame. Parts for those older carbon steel folded slides can be hard to come by now. I’d just sell the slide and replace it with a newer slide from Sig. Then you don’t have to worry about issues with the breach block or extractor.

Midwest has the legacy slide with the short extractor in stock. You’ll need a parts kit though. I’m thinking Sig is going to discontinue these legacy slides. The only P226 they sell that uses that short extractor now is the MK25. They don’t even have the legacy slides on their own site anymore. Just the MK25 slides.

Legacy slide
Legacy extractor
Legacy extractor pin
Legacy extractor spring
Legacy firing pin positioning pin
Firing pin
Safety lock
MK25 parts kit

The parts kit contains your firing pin spring and your safety lock spring. It also has a new recoil spring and other springs that personally I would swap out as well as the correct grip screws, which would be slotted for that time period. Other than that you would just need the sights of your choice. All in you’re looking at $405. On eBay there are complete legacy slides for $450ish. I think that is the route I would go personally. I found one on there that doesn’t look to bad and has the correct legacy firing pin, pin and extractor positioning pin for $444 OBO which doesn’t look that bad and includes the barrel, recoil spring and sights. You’d be able to sell that carbon steel slide complete and almost recoupe the cost. Then you’d have an 05 era P226R that should out last you.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/134971920668?itmmeta=01HRPEFQVD1NRAF1486E5Q737F&hash=item1f6cf4111c:g:ILsAAOSwNXtl7WS1&itmprp=enc%3AAQAIAAAAwNlA%2BaCd5wIvFHI8acCH0AMZwWEj8BW9OH6vN3BRpQDZrHQfRVVYbg0Qjeex68T4OLRngkn%2FaCRPBspPQ17wmVxOWH8eFhQk%2FSupMpg9aP6aWJLqfHOn9yzIMfucu9OrGeiYJcDpRWh%2FrYBpAD3GIcjetUBy6ugZFS2meTLgTh4sfpuF%2BAfyVfqIhZas5VDu9Zt0lt8QN%2B2Fa3VrWrL76tg%2BK1owxxaBhczGIrIz7Ie55n09ky9NRwBU8s4VsFgPHg%3D%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR-z9vs7FYw
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 6:50:36 AM EDT
[#11]
The slide was made in W Germany and does not appear to be the original slide. The frame says made in Germany, so it was made later.

Is the serial number engraved on both sides? The fact that the serial number is on the left side indicates that it may have been a Certified Pre Owned from Sig at one point. That would explain the reason why the serial number was machined off of the slide.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 10:13:45 AM EDT
[#12]
I guess the slide is the main question.... does it have any "collector" value since the SN area is milled. I've just never seen a Sig with that area milled. I think the milling was done by the factory, too nice of a job to be by an importer and there are no import marks on the gun. I do like the folded steel slides because they are a bit lighter than the milled versions and has an indestructible internal extractor, I broke 3 external extractors on a P226 TacOps I once had. It left a bad taste in my mouth with Sig and their MIM parts so I swore off "new  Sigs till this gun popped up. (I needed another service size pistol like I need another hole in my head)lol.

Most Police and military trade in guns show crazy hard wear on the exterior which is why it's hard for me to believe it's an ex service gun or parts kit gun.

(BTW, the SN is on both sides of the frame)
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 4:40:58 PM EDT
[#13]
No real collector value. Its value is in parts really. The parts are starting to dry up for those older carbon folded slides. Extractors and breech blocks in good condition can be hard to find. Throwing up that slide on eBay is your best bet.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 8:53:53 AM EDT
[#14]
Well, I got an early 2000s "stainless" marked, short extractor milled slide in route. I've concluded the stamped W.German slide that came on the gun is a CPO slide that the factory milled the SN off during a rebuild so there weren't 2 guns floating around with the same SNs. I'll hopefully sell it and recover the new slide cost... maybe somebody out there in Peebay land will have a W. German frame and needs a correct slide without wrong SNs (mismatched gun) stamped on it. Trying to keep the final cost of this gun under 500!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top