Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/12/2022 2:18:44 AM EDT
I’m talking about the Lehigh Xtreme, Black Hills Honey Badger, and other similar style solid copper non-expanding “fluid transfer monolithic” screwdriver bullets:

Honestly these things always sounded too good to be true. A non-expanding bullet that does as much damage in tissue as a decent JHP? Sounds like the ideal bullet for defensive use year-round. Plus, the described wounding mechanism seems logical and like it ought to work the way it’s described.

I’ve seen all the backyard ballistics tests on YouTube, read all the subjective reports from hunters that say they really do what they claim. I want to believe, but these just don’t have a proven track record of stopping attackers like a HST or Gold Dot JHP.

So what’s the real answer? Are these kinds of bullets truly the future of defensive projectiles, or just a flashy gimmick for selling glorified FMJ rounds at multiple times the cost?

Most interested in 9mm here but if anyone has any experience with other calibers too feel free to share
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 6:08:05 PM EDT
[#1]
In my option, it's just expensive ball. People keep looking at the temporary starch cavity in gel test, even though it has been well established that the temporary cavity in gel is not what happens in living tissue.
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 6:25:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
In my option, it's just expensive ball. People keep looking at the temporary starch cavity in gel test, even though it has been well established that the temporary cavity in gel is not what happens in living tissue.
View Quote

This is one of my main concerns as well. I’ve seen subjective reports from hunters saying it works well in living tissue as well but the reports are fairly rare and of course anecdotal evidence is anecdotal
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 6:48:26 PM EDT
[#3]
How many police departments have adopted them as duty ammo? Zero. When the Speer Gold Dot came out and the Ranger SXT came out they became sensations with police pretty quickly. When you hear about PD's giving the go-ahead then you know. No need to be in front of the curve. There's plenty of good options already. Remember, pistol bullets just ain't got much stump to begin with so it's bordering on being an academic question anyway.

I'm not saying cops are edge riders always taking the next great thing. I'm saying quite the opposite. They want ammo that works as well as pistol ammo can possibly work.
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 7:17:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Waiting on the street cred.
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 9:03:21 PM EDT
[#5]
I guess I’ll continue to wait and see then
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 11:44:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

My understanding, at least with the XD series, is that its designed to use the 'stretch' of the temporary cavity to create permanent cavity.

The 'screwdriver' profile with its sharp metal + shape cuts a 4 way, 9mm pattern with a cut on each side of the +. Then the inner slope of the projectile forces energy outwards into the + cut, causing the cuts to tear beyond the diameter of the projectile.

If the + starts out at say 7mm across, and the force of the outward energy tears each side of the + an additional 3mm (1/8") on each side, then you end up with a + 13mm/.511" wide hole. A 4mm tear would result in a 15mm/.59", etc.

This seems entirely possible to me. Yank on a piece of steak or chicken, it wont tear easily. But make a small slice in it, and it will tear wider when you yank it pretty easily. I think a similar thing at work with the XD could happen.

That said, I still cary JHP, but mostly due to to cost and training compatibility.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 12:25:33 AM EDT
[#7]
I won't hesitate to use some of them on dangerous game. They do typically penetrate deep and straight.

Link Posted: 8/15/2022 12:41:14 AM EDT
[#8]
It's what I carry in my .380 when I carry 380. 9MM and up Gold Dot or HST
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 1:05:04 AM EDT
[#9]
I shot a 60-70 LB hog at 20+yards with one out of a S&W shield.
Took him down right there. Tried to get up got another one.
Near as I can tell they perform exactly as the engineering promotes it does.
The hydraulic pressure creates cuts through the flesh at least 1.5x the diameter of the projectile for at least 10 inches.

I have found that there is a Fail to load or completely go into battery on occasion.
Caused by the sharp edges and blunt tip. Although the more rounds I fire the fewer instances there seems to be and that was on a race gun…a recoil spring tweak should fix it.

I use them in my woods carry gun to see how they perform but Terminal ballistics are a bitch. No guarantee’s. So far looks fine plus a great barrier round if needed.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 1:25:09 AM EDT
[#10]
What I would like to see is bullets of these types used in ultra fast twists.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 2:36:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
What I would like to see is bullets of these types used in ultra fast twists.
View Quote

What’s the reasoning there?
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 2:38:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

My understanding, at least with the XD series, is that its designed to use the 'stretch' of the temporary cavity to create permanent cavity.

The 'screwdriver' profile with its sharp metal + shape cuts a 4 way, 9mm pattern with a cut on each side of the +. Then the inner slope of the projectile forces energy outwards into the + cut, causing the cuts to tear beyond the diameter of the projectile.

If the + starts out at say 7mm across, and the force of the outward energy tears each side of the + an additional 3mm (1/8") on each side, then you end up with a + 13mm/.511" wide hole. A 4mm tear would result in a 15mm/.59", etc.

This seems entirely possible to me. Yank on a piece of steak or chicken, it wont tear easily. But make a small slice in it, and it will tear wider when you yank it pretty easily. I think a similar thing at work with the XD could happen.

That said, I still cary JHP, but mostly due to to cost and training compatibility.
View Quote

This is what I mean when I say the marketing/description of the wounding mechanism sounds plausible. It seems like it ought to work the way it’s described, but we know marketing is not exactly the most honest of professions
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 2:38:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I won't hesitate to use some of them on dangerous game. They do typically penetrate deep and straight.

View Quote

Do they create a larger permanent wound channel than standard FMJ/hardcast though?
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 2:40:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The hydraulic pressure creates cuts through the flesh at least 1.5x the diameter of the projectile for at least 10 inches.

I have found that there is a Fail to load or completely go into battery on occasion.
Caused by the sharp edges and blunt tip. Although the more rounds I fire the fewer instances there seems to be and that was on a race gun…a recoil spring tweak should fix it.

I use them in my woods carry gun to see how they perform but Terminal ballistics are a bitch. No guarantee’s. So far looks fine plus a great barrier round if needed.
View Quote

These are the kinds of anecdotal hunting reports I see online. Not saying I don’t believe you, just that it’s not the objective proof gathered from documented defensive use like you can find with traditional JHPs
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 9:00:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Do they create a larger permanent wound channel than standard FMJ/hardcast though?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No but they may feed better in some autos.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 9:39:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

What’s the reasoning there?
View Quote

Higher RPM with higher rotational energy should increase the wound channel size based on how these bullets are described to work.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 10:30:18 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is what I believe to be true. A lack of consistent penetration and no actual damage from the temporary wound channel.

The only damage a handgun round does is what is directly in the path of the bullet and gets damaged from contact with the actual projectile.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 2:27:09 PM EDT
[#18]
The screwdriver tips do a lot more damage than ball in gel tests. It's not just a larger temporary wound cavity.

That said, I'm not sure ballistics gel is designed to answer this question. These bullet designs weren't around when e.g. the FBI standard was established.

But back on the first hand, I recall reading an academic paper about these projectiles, and the authors came away impressed with their terminal ballistics in - IIRC - fleshy targets. But I can't seem to track down the paper right now, so take it with a grain of salt.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 4:46:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Are any of the big names, i.e. Federal, Winchester, Speer, etc., using this technology?
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 5:26:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I’m talking about the Lehigh Xtreme, Black Hills Honey Badger, and other similar style solid copper non-expanding “fluid transfer monolithic” screwdriver bullets:

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Lehigh-XP.jpg

Honestly these things always sounded too good to be true. A non-expanding bullet that does as much damage in tissue as a decent JHP? Sounds like the ideal bullet for defensive use year-round. Plus, the described wounding mechanism seems logical and like it ought to work the way it’s described.

I’ve seen all the backyard ballistics tests on YouTube, read all the subjective reports from hunters that say they really do what they claim. I want to believe, but these just don’t have a proven track record of stopping attackers like a HST or Gold Dot JHP.

So what’s the real answer? Are these kinds of bullets truly the future of defensive projectiles, or just a flashy gimmick for selling glorified FMJ rounds at multiple times the cost?

Most interested in 9mm here but if anyone has any experience with other calibers too feel free to share
View Quote

I've heard the opposite of what you describe, looks like it'll take years to get reliable info on them.
People I know that tried them, hi use users, have all gone back to large meplat WFN type bullets. They say it's a step down from a Kieth type, which is already a step down from a WFN. This is people with lot's of animals down from Kieth's and WFN.
I guess we'll have to continue waiting and seeing.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 5:29:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

There's a considerable amount of "dangerous game" that calls for an expanding bullet over a solid.
The weekly "what round for Kodiak bears" be damned.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 5:33:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

This is what I believe to be true. A lack of consistent penetration and no actual damage from the temporary wound channel.

The only damage a handgun round does is what is directly in the path of the bullet and gets damaged from contact with the actual projectile.
View Quote

I would like to see a comparison test in organic tissue using the same bullets with one fired at standard handgun velocity and the other fired over 2,200 fps, and compare the results. I bet the flutes do quite a bit of damage at higher velocity
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 5:35:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Are any of the big names, i.e. Federal, Winchester, Speer, etc., using this technology?
View Quote

Black Hills developed the Honey Badger loads in partnership with Lehigh:

http://www.black-hills.com/product-category/honeybadger/
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 5:35:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I would like to see a comparison test in organic tissue using the same bullets with one fired at standard handgun velocity and the other fired over 2,200 fps, and compare the results. I bet the flutes do quite a bit of damage at higher velocity
View Quote
What handgun rounds are going 2200 fps?
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 8:07:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This gets close:

https://underwoodammo.com/460-s-w-magnum-250-grain-xtreme-penetrator/

But that’s not the point. With JHP bullets you usually have an upper range for velocity before you start to see the bullet over-expanding or disintegrating and penetrating less than the same bullet moving slower. Which is illustrated beautifully in this review of 45 Super:

45 Super vs 10mm - I didn't expect THIS!

The same effect obviously won’t occur with non-expanding projectiles - extra velocity just means extra penetration. What I’m curious about is whether or not the flutes on the Xtreme bullets start to cause more damage at the higher velocity threshold where hydrostatic shock starts to factor in, which is generally agreed to be at about 2,200 fps
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 8:21:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

What I'm curious about is whether or not the flutes on the Xtreme bullets start to cause more damage at the higher velocity threshold where hydrostatic shock starts to factor in, which is generally agreed to be at about 2,200 fps
View Quote
It's going to be hard to answer that question since few handgun rounds reach that kind of velocity.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 9:28:32 PM EDT
[#27]
There are 2 ways to increase surface area on something: fold it out, like HPs do; fold it in—this design.

There’s more surface area on these bullets due to the 4 grooves, so, more contact with gel makes the temporary cavity (TC) look impressive in gel, but i’ve never seen any controlled study that shows TC matters.  Fackler, et al., have repeatedly demonstrated that bleeding out & CNS hits are the only ways to incapacitate a combatant.

Ball works fine, so these fluted rounds will work as well as ball, with proper bullet placement. Given the increased surface area due to the grooves, they might work better than ball, since (theoretically) greater surface area means more tissue damage, so more blood loss, pain, etc.  However, I suspect the smaller surface area of these rounds relative to a quality expanding HP might not work as well, again, due greater surface area of the latter.

I’m always looking for a “magic bullet” and collect “gadget bullets” like these, BAT, THV, MagSafe, etc. but I think these will go the way of other “gadget bullets.”  Think about it this way—all over the world, cars, airplanes, etc all share common tech due to the laws of physics.  Industrial espionage is quite real.  If so “gadget bullet” could really do everything, you would see the major bullet manufacturers all over the world using/copying/stealing the design or tweaking it to get around patents—but that’s not happening.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 9:29:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
It's going to be hard to answer that question since few handgun rounds reach that kind of velocity.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What I'm curious about is whether or not the flutes on the Xtreme bullets start to cause more damage at the higher velocity threshold where hydrostatic shock starts to factor in, which is generally agreed to be at about 2,200 fps

Idle curiosity?
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 9:31:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
There are 2 ways to increase surface area on something: fold it out, like HPs do; fold it in—this design.

There’s more surface area on these bullets due to the 4 grooves, so, more contact with gel makes the temporary cavity (TC) look impressive in gel, but i’ve never seen any controlled study that shows TC matters.  Fackler, et al., have repeatedly demonstrated that bleeding out & CNS hits are the only ways to incapacitate a combatant.

Ball works fine, so these fluted rounds will work as well as ball, with proper bullet placement. Given the increased surface area due to the grooves, they might work better than ball, since (theoretically) greater surface area means more tissue damage, so more blood loss, pain, etc.  However, I suspect the smaller surface area of these rounds relative to a quality expanding HP might not work as well, again, due greater surface area of the latter.

I’m always looking for a “magic bullet” and collect “gadget bullets” like these, BAT, THV, MagSafe, etc. but I think these will go the way of other “gadget bullets.”  Think about it this way—all over the world, cars, airplanes, etc all share common tech due to the laws of physics.  Industrial espionage is quite real.  If so “gadget bullet” could really do everything, you would see the major bullet manufacturers all over the world using/copying/stealing the design or tweaking it to get around patents—but that’s not happening.
View Quote

Very well thought out and good points
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 11:59:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Black Hills is the largest in the US.

Norma is also loading their own NXD concept.

Both are 'medium' players but highly reputable.

I don't think the Big Names, which currently own the market for the top JHP designs, have any incentive to market a new projectile as 'better then JHP...' - especially if companies like Lehigh have already patented the better designs.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 12:02:15 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Underwoods .357 SIG 65gr Lehigh XD does 2200fps+ from a G35 with a .357 sig barrel.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 12:03:43 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

These are the kinds of anecdotal hunting reports I see online. Not saying I don’t believe you, just that it’s not the objective proof gathered from documented defensive use like you can find with traditional JHPs
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its a Catch-22.

Theres no data because no one is carrying/using them because theres no data.

I'd say like the early days of bullet development, hunting is the best we can hope for for now.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 2:12:01 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Its a Catch-22.

I'd say like the early days of bullet development, hunting is the best we can hope for for now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its a Catch-22.

I have considered that angle as well. Nothing new gains traction in an environment where nobody will adopt something new until it’s gained some traction
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 2:50:58 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I have considered that angle as well. Nothing new gains traction in an environment where nobody will adopt something new until it’s gained some traction
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its a Catch-22.

Honestly I think the hunting / hog elimination tests are good data - as good or better then gel. Has there ever been a case of a round working great on hogs/deer etc and not working on humans? Hunting, especially if a post-hunt dissection is performed, can give real 'flesh and bone' data.

Along similar vein, I recall a Gunblast article years ago where the author compared .357 Mag to .357 Sig - based on his and coworkers experiences defending themselves against aggressive pitbulls. The Magnum was found to have a more pronounced DRT/'Lightning Bolt Effect' against the dogs compared to the SIG - similar to what would be later observed in gel.

I recall another article, perhaps by Massad Ayoob? Where they were testing .380 loads, and a round that had performed adequately in gel failed spectacularly in testing at the local slaughterhouse, being stopped nearly cold after encountering bone.

(Both articles were read years ago, so memory of specifics is not infallible.)

If we see these XD projectiles performing well / exceptionally well in hunting, I'd be inclined to believe they would work well for SD.

The big issue I see is not lack of effectiveness, but lack of sustainability

-XD ammo is super expensive, usually over $1 per round
-65gr @ 1700-1900fps FMJ training ammo does not exist, complicating practice due to different recoil impulse and point of impact
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 4:56:53 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Attachment Attached File

It’s as objective as you can get !
Real world result. Makes near the same hole in hog flesh as you see in gel.
Will it do that every single time ? Fuck no. Neither will any other projectile. Terminal ballistics on anything but gel are a bitch !
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 4:05:24 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

This gets close:

But that’s not the point. With JHP bullets you usually have an upper range for velocity before you start to see the bullet over-expanding or disintegrating and penetrating less than the same bullet moving slower. Which is illustrated beautifully in this review of 45 Super:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4olMSeVZXM

The same effect obviously won’t occur with non-expanding projectiles - extra velocity just means extra penetration. What I’m curious about is whether or not the flutes on the Xtreme bullets start to cause more damage at the higher velocity threshold where hydrostatic shock starts to factor in, which is generally agreed to be at about 2,200 fps
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This gets close:

It doesn't illustrate it beautifully. That bullet sucks. It's bullet dependent.

My tests of the 9mm 147gr hst in a .357 proves to me that a good bullet can perform better at faster speeds. Not at 2200fps but at 1275. Fwiw.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 5:13:18 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

My tests of the 9mm 147gr hst in a .357 proves to me that a good bullet can perform better at faster speeds. Not at 2200fps but at 1275. Fwiw.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This gets close:

It illustrates that certain bullets have an upper limit on velocity for best performance and when you push them above that threshold you start having problems, as depicted in the video. Yes, that load is using the wrong bullet to be moving that fast. That was my point
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 9:38:01 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
It's what I carry in my .380 when I carry 380. 9MM and up Gold Dot or HST
View Quote

This for me too. Maybe it's better than ball in 380, maybe.
Link Posted: 9/10/2022 1:39:23 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/10/2022 1:42:40 PM EDT
[#40]
Even if they perform as claimed, they do not shoot as well or to the same point of impact as traditional ammo in my guns.
Link Posted: 9/10/2022 1:45:09 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I don't think the Big Names, which currently own the market for the top JHP designs, have any incentive to market a new projectile as 'better then JHP...' - especially if companies like Lehigh have already patented the better designs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think bans on lead hunting ammo in some places is the only reason they’ve had any staying power at all.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top