Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/6/2018 8:46:54 PM EDT
I've gone through the FN subforum. Lots of good feedback there. I haven't seen much outside of there on the FiveseveN; seems like the people that like it, REALLY like it. Anyone buy one and regret it? Long-term ownership issues? Is it any louder than typical unsuppressed 9mm/45? I'm starting to consider one for target/varmint/what the hell ever pistol.

Probably not CCW. Probably not HD. Sorta want, though.  Thanks.

FCG.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 8:53:02 PM EDT
[#1]
If it helps, I like mine

If things ever get dicey, say zombie apocalypse, it's my thin em out goto handgun.

Hi Cap, lethal,  lots of info available, it's a fine piece.

Plenty of haters, I like variety

I gathered up all the components to reload it, although it's not a good candidate for that.

(coated brass, high pressure)

Unusual safety (albeit probably better) Sweet shooter.  I would not call it quiet. "crackey"

No Regrets
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FN_Five-seven
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 9:58:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 2:07:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Found one yesterday at a local shop for around $700 I believe. NIB. Thought that was a decent price.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 2:53:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Found one yesterday at a local shop for around $700 I believe. NIB. Thought that was a decent price.
View Quote
That's an outstanding price if you like the weapon .
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 4:57:20 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm on my second, a MKII FDE model.

I had one a long time ago and was offered a ridiculous amount for it, so off it went. That's probably the one gun I've ever sold and regretted it, hence me buying a second.

I really like this handgun and don't see ever selling it, in fact I may buy another just so that I have one sighted for SS198 and one for SS197 so I can practice more efficiently plus having a back-up.

I'm actually seriously considering the CMMG Banshee MK57, it's a super compact pistol/sbr that takes the FiveseveN mags. My LGS has one and it's very nice.

It's physically large but easy to carry due to how light it is, everyone that shoots it, loves it.

For a pistol, it's loud as hell and I really wouldn't bother trying to suppress it.

Did I tell you how much I liked it yet?
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 5:00:17 PM EDT
[#6]
BTW, my BIL has one and routinely dispatches deer that were hit, but still alive, the blood coming out the side of their head is far more dramatic than a 9/45, he has no concerns about the rounds ability.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 5:06:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote
Great price!
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 5:38:27 PM EDT
[#8]
I own two. The FN Five-seveN  is a Fantastic pistol.

Here are the things I love about it:
- Super lightweight with INSANE capacity (20+1)
- 40% less recoil than 9mm, therefore easy to make rapid and accurate follow-up shots.
- Terminal ballistics on par with any major pistol service caliber. Some loads even exceed the other service calibers.
- Brilliant engineering
- High quality
- Flat shooting out over 100 yards. If you are on target at 15-25 yards, you will get accurate hits at 100 yards.
- 100% reliable. I have thousands of rounds through my Five-seveNs and I have never had a glitch of any sort.
- Super accurate round and platform.
- All factory ammo is incredibly clean. The gun just doesn't get dirty.
- Ammo compatibility with my PS90 SBR

Things I don't love about it:
- It's loud!
- Ammo is expensive and they don't sell it at Walmart
- A little bulky for carry, but I carried it just fine in South Florida wearing Shorts and a Button-up T-Shirt.
- Some will argue it is expensive. I'm a firm believer in the old adage, "You get what you pay for", ESPECIALLY when it comes to guns.

They Pros FAR OUTWEIGH the cons.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 6:36:29 PM EDT
[#9]
I liked mine and miss it—paid $750 for the USG version and sold it for $1200.

The gunners when i worked at Federal Ammunition would fire so many rounds so fast that they would melt/seize them when locked back and put into storage, said it happened more than once.

Just an FYI.

I still want another one and kept all my magazines.

Blue tip did not cleanly dispatch a rabbit at 25 yards.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 10:27:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
Fo like hell for that price.

Love mine.  Great capacity, ergonomics are excellent imho.  Lightweight.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 11:11:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 6:06:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 9:22:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Federal makes bullets in house and ships them off to be loaded in the AE product.  We did not load or pack them at Anoka.

However, Bullets are tested by the ballistics gunners off the BA’s (Bullet Assembly) machines.

Like many products, the ballistics team handloads enough to test.

EDIT:  now that i think back three years, im not sure Federal ever did get the kinks worked out of 5.7 bullet production.  I rareysaw anyone working that machine, and never saw a bin of product anywhere but at the mostly non functioning BA.
 Also, all the 5.7 ammo i managed to wheedle out of ballistics came packaged in commercial AE packaging, loaded and packed at Fiocchi

What melted...Who knows?  Maybe they just didn’t like the guns and were feeding me a line.  But i handled the two new ones they brought in as replacements.  The story didnt affect me because i know i wouldnt be able to shoot an expensive gun i owned enough to melt it.

So...what load did you use to take that game?  My rabbit didn’t want to die after a body hit with the blue tip ammo.  I actually had to shoot it again.
this would not deter me from using a 5.7 with the right load for hunting ir defense.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 9:27:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Fo like hell for that price.

Love mine.  Great capacity, ergonomics are excellent imho.  Lightweight.
View Quote
Id buy every one i found at that price.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 11:56:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Have owned a Five seveN since 2012. Never heard anything about the gun melting. ( member on multiple 5.7 forums ) Too funny. Not saying it didn't happen, but if it did, it would have been plastered all over the net.

I have owned a MK1 and currently daily carry a MK II. I like the caliber so much, that I even bought a PS90 to go with it.

I do wish they still made the carry case like they did for the MK I

Link Posted: 12/15/2018 12:06:02 PM EDT
[#16]
I bought one about 2 years ago and it is definitely my favorite gun.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 2:37:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Have owned a Five seveN since 2012. Never heard anything about the gun melting. ( member on multiple 5.7 forums ) Too funny. Not saying it didn't happen, but if it did, it would have been plastered all over the net.

I have owned a MK1 and currently daily carry a MK II. I like the caliber so much, that I even bought a PS90 to go with it.

I do wish they still made the carry case like they did for the MK I

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4870/46326255331_d2d6bec056_c.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4406/36081153584_2993d588fd_c.jpg
View Quote
@Stitches1974 what is the cylinder-shaped thing next to the magazines in your photo?
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 2:54:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

@Stitches1974 what is the cylinder-shaped thing next to the magazines in your photo?
View Quote
@FlockaCGulz

It's a cleaning kit. That was included with the earlier cases of the MKI. The later cases were changed and the kit was deleted.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 3:14:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

@FlockaCGulz

It's a cleaning kit. That was included with the earlier cases of the MKI. The later cases were changed and the kit was deleted.
View Quote
Thank you. I'll stop hyperventilating. I was worried that it was a suppressor and I was about to go into an undisciplined spending whirlwind if you said it was effective. Lol, thanks.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 3:25:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Thank you. I'll stop hyperventilating. I was worried that it was a suppressor and I was about to go into an undisciplined spending whirlwind if you said it was effective. Lol, thanks.
View Quote

I wish it was a suppressor.

I just like the gun for being so lightweight when fully loaded. It's lighter than my Glock empty, which makes it great for carrying on my bad hip.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 3:31:13 PM EDT
[#21]
I like mine. It’s weight (or lack of) is a big plus. Capacity is great. The round is capable and while it’s no 5.56, it will do the job. Nothing about it is cheap though, from the gun to the ammo.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 3:32:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I like mine. It’s weight (or lack of) is a big plus. Capacity is great. The round is capable and while it’s no 5.56, it will do the job. Nothing about it is cheap though, from the gun to the ammo.
View Quote
Exactly!
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 3:37:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I own two. The FN Five-seveN  is a Fantastic pistol.

Here are the things I love about it:
- Super lightweight with INSANE capacity (20+1)
- 40% less recoil than 9mm, therefore easy to make rapid and accurate follow-up shots.
- Terminal ballistics on par with any major pistol service caliber. Some loads even exceed the other service calibers.
- Brilliant engineering
- High quality
- Flat shooting out over 100 yards. If you are on target at 15-25 yards, you will get accurate hits at 100 yards.
- 100% reliable. I have thousands of rounds through my Five-seveNs and I have never had a glitch of any sort.
- Super accurate round and platform.
- All factory ammo is incredibly clean. The gun just doesn't get dirty.
- Ammo compatibility with my PS90 SBR

Things I don't love about it:
- It's loud!
- Ammo is expensive and they don't sell it at Walmart
- A little bulky for carry, but I carried it just fine in South Florida wearing Shorts and a Button-up T-Shirt.
- Some will argue it is expensive. I'm a firm believer in the old adage, "You get what you pay for", ESPECIALLY when it comes to guns.

They Pros FAR OUTWEIGH the cons.
View Quote
If you ask me it is not only the most innovative pistol of the last 25-30 years but really it is the ONLY innovative pistol in the last 20-30 years.

Everything else is just the same old shit.

Yawn.  Another short-recoil Browning action gun.  They've been around over 100 years.
Yawn.  Another striker-fired gun.  They've been around over 100 years.
Yawn.  Another 9mm/.45 ACP gun.  They've been around over 100 years.
Yawn.  Another double stack 9mm.  They've been around since the 1930s.
Yawn.  Another polymer frame/steel slide gun.  They've been around since the '70s.

Enter the Five-seveN.  Extremely lightweight for its size (polymer frame, composite polymer/steel slide), new caliber that allows for high velocity, low recoil, and high capacity.  Has loads available that easily defeat body armor.  Delayed-blowback action, SAO trigger system with concealed hammer.  While some of these things aren't fully unique to the Five-seveN at the very least it has departed from the formula 99% of the other pistols on the market use in order to deliver something truly unique.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 6:44:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 7:54:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

They are available on eBay for $50-$70, I grabbed one as a “add on” to an order I placed with Midwest Gun Works. IIRC they had them for $15.00.

The later cases for the FiveseveN MK II IMHO are nicer.

EDIT:

Found them on Midwest Gun Works web site for $25.00....LINK

@Stitches1974
View Quote
@PursuitSS

Thanks for the link about the case! Not a fan of the new ones with the plastic inserts.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 8:13:58 PM EDT
[#26]
It's a pistol like any other. Except bigger size with an obscure round.

g19 everyday, all day.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 8:25:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 8:31:03 PM EDT
[#28]
It's huge.
It's expensive.
It's aftermarket support is weak.

It's not a one shot stopper laser gun. There is a reason it's obscure and unpopular for both duty and competition use ... at the end of the day it's just an expensive pistol.

The market gravitates to the best solution considering cost and performance. It's not the 5-7.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 8:37:38 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 8:46:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Barely anyone uses it.

That is ... a clue.

If there was a compelling case for duty or competitive use - it would have caught on.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 8:54:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 9:02:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
U.S. Secret Service seems to think its worth the cost.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Barely anyone uses it.

That is ... a clue.

If there was a compelling case for duty or competitive use - it would have caught on.
U.S. Secret Service seems to think its worth the cost.
They must not have asked fooboy about it
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 9:07:40 PM EDT
[#33]
Hahah
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 9:12:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 9:17:39 PM EDT
[#35]
@PursuitSS

Refresh my memory. What round is this? I got it from someone off the FN forums awhile back. Crappy pic. Will take a better one if needed.

Link Posted: 12/15/2018 9:19:55 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 9:26:06 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
If I need to SHREAD a vehicle, I just drop the magazine of Elite S4M and insert a magazine of Elite DevestaTOR 3.0

What can you fire out of your Glock that will shoot through 1 1/4" bulletproof glass (as an example of capabilities)?

The answer is NOTHING!

Not French THV
Not KTW
Not Czech Steel 9mm sub gun ammo
View Quote
I don't shoot cars with bullet proof glass.

But thankfully I don't need to carry a giant obscure gun either.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 9:51:05 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote
This is a giant gun. My 5.7 is much easier to CC.

Link Posted: 12/16/2018 11:52:18 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote
The FSN can be easily concealed. It carries just like a G21 but at half the weight.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 12:12:33 PM EDT
[#40]
I bought my first 2 glocks last year hated them. They shoot horrible they are uncomfortable they are not very accurate out of the box and they just suck. They suck so bad there are tons of aftermarket parts and customization available for them. If they were any good from factory there wouldn’t be so many upgrades. Now five seven is 99% perfection  just wish they came with night sights.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 12:24:23 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I bought my first 2 glocks last year hated them. They shoot horrible they are uncomfortable they are not very accurate out of the box and they just suck. They suck so bad there are tons of aftermarket parts and customization available for them. If they were any good from factory there wouldn’t be so many upgrades. Now five seven is 99% perfection  just wish they came with night sights.
View Quote
Sounds like you need to do some more shooting and training....
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 9:44:18 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

For a pistol, it's loud as hell and I really wouldn't bother trying to suppress it.
View Quote
Because..........?
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 9:53:16 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Because..........?
View Quote
The super sonic crack is loud enough for me to not warrant suppressing, and if you get sub sonic ammo, well then you kinda defeat the purpose of the round. That is purely my humble opinion. I do have a couple cans that suppress the 5.7 round. I'm also the weird guy that doesn't really bother suppressing my AR either even though I have a can for it, unless I decided to have it next to my nightstand, then the can goes on.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 9:54:03 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Barely anyone uses it.

That is ... a clue.

View Quote
Price has something to do with it, IMO.

I work gun shows & have done so for around 30 years now. I sell more & more 5.7's every show. They're certainly growing in popularity along with CZ's.

Ammo price is the key to the gun's growth, IMO. Once that gets down to (say) .45acp levels, model sales will skyrocket, IMO.

My .o2
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 4:36:42 PM EDT
[#45]
For some reason I'm getting a mental picture of fooboy typing through a layer of cheeto dust on his keyboard...
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 5:06:39 PM EDT
[#46]
I have to admit I've always wanted one myself.

Ammo price isn't the barrier, the price of the pistol is.  I just don't see that it is a $1400 list price piece.
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 5:40:10 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Ammo price isn't the barrier, the price of the pistol is.  I just don't see that it is a $1400 list price piece.
View Quote
$1,400? huh. I'm seeing 2 for $1,049. A few for $1,099. etc.... all new on gunbroker with buy it now prices.
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 8:01:57 PM EDT
[#48]
I'll be getting one. Not sure if it will be before or after a 10mm pistol, though.
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 8:14:45 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote
That's about $500 more than I paid for any of mine.

I see people listing them for 1299-1400 but man, who the fuck would pay that price?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top