Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/11/2021 11:54:33 PM EDT
I've always liked 1911s, but it just never panned out for me. I picked up a kimber custom 2 today. It handles and points as beautifully as any 1911 should. I ordered a Wilson combat grip safety, safety selector, slide stop and main spring housing for it. Not that I expected them to fail, but because those are the parts that I touch and they didn't have the solid, quality feel that I wanted. Without starting the epic kimber back and forth, is there anything else I should change out? If I'm already swapping out this stuff I'd like to know if there's a common breakage point and head that of while I'm at it. Overall I love the gun so far. Just figured I'd head off any potential issues
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 11:44:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 11:48:21 AM EDT
[#2]
If you like the gun, who is anyone to talk trash about it? Congrats! Shoot the piss out of it.

I bought a TRP years ago and through some friends and circumstances wound up sending it off to Nighthawk for a few tweaks and upgrades. Aside from the "big" stuff of a new barrel, trigger job, etc. they replaced all the internal MIM components with their machined parts. For me personally, that was a little bit of additional peace of mind.

Probably won't be much of an issue, just something to consider with a mass production 1911.
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 1:27:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By AeroE:
You plan to swap the parts and hope they work as well as what the gun has now?

View Quote

Essentially, yes. It's not a concern that the ones on there will break, so much as it's that they feel cheap and those are the parts that I touch constantly. I dont expect it to improve anything on the gun, aside from the way it feels to me
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 10:17:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Have you shot it yet?  I'd recommend making sure it didn't need to go back to Kimber for service/repair before changing out any parts.  I've seen stories of folks sending their guns to Kimber and getting them back with all the aftermarket parts having been replaced.  Keeping in mind that I read these stories on the internet, I'd still be cautious.

I'm one of those people who has owned 3 Kimber 1911's for a number of years that had no issues that weren't corrected by using quality magazines.  Enjoy your new pistol.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 11:08:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Stowe:

Essentially, yes. It's not a concern that the ones on there will break, so much as it's that they feel cheap and those are the parts that I touch constantly. I dont expect it to improve anything on the gun, aside from the way it feels to me
View Quote

The reason he's asking is probably because with 1911's most parts you need to fit to the gun. The beaver tail grip safety you'll likely want to blend in with the frame, besides fitting it to work and safety checking. Same with the thumb safety, it'll likely need fitting to work and possibly blending. The slide stop may or may not drop in but requires checking as well. You may get lucky and it all might come together and feel like a million bucks, or it all might be a headache and feel sloppy/have edges at the transition and function worse than stock if you don't know what you're doing.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 11:29:00 PM EDT
[#6]
You could have saved yourself the work and just paid the little extra and got a Dan Wesson.
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 7:06:50 AM EDT
[#7]
I have a local guy who can fit the parts. So far I've only run 5 mags through it, but I'll put a couple of hundred through it before I go changing anything. That way if I do have an issue kimber can't blame it on the aftermarket parts.
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 7:48:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Shoot it and replace what breaks
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 11:13:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Enjoy the gun, OP.

I drank the Kimber cool aid a couple years ago, mainly because I liked the configurations available for decent prices.

The prospect of having to troubleshoot things like extractor tensions seemed like a learning opportunity at worst.
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 12:24:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Would love to see a pic of your new Kimber?
Link Posted: 10/31/2021 8:01:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Stowe] [#11]
Not a great picture
https://i.imgur.com/ZXP3XlR.jpg
With the price of .45 ammo right now and having a bunch of other guns to shoot, I've only got about 125 rounds through it so far. It was failing to feed the last round about every other mag, so I got a couple of Chip Mccormick mags and those seem to have solved the problem. The kimber mag went back in the box and I now have 8+1 instead of 7. I consider that worth the cost. Kimber only gives you 1 mag anyway, so I was bound to buy more.
Link Posted: 11/6/2021 9:44:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: KingC] [#12]
Not a great picture
https://i.imgur.com/ZXP3XlR.jpg
With the price of .45 ammo right now and having a bunch of other guns to shoot, I've only got about 125 rounds through it so far. It was failing to feed the last round about every other mag, so I got a couple of Chip Mccormick mags and those seem to have solved the problem. The kimber mag went back in the box and I now have 8+1 instead of 7. I consider that worth the cost. Kimber only gives you 1 mag anyway, so I was bound to buy more.
View Quote

Nice looking pistol. I have a 6 YO Stainless TLE 2 and kept it all original parts. It's a fun gun.
Link Posted: 11/13/2021 3:04:49 PM EDT
[#13]
I've always liked 1911s, but it just never panned out for me. I picked up a kimber custom 2 today. It handles and points as beautifully as any 1911 should. I ordered a Wilson combat grip safety, safety selector, slide stop and main spring housing for it. Not that I expected them to fail, but because those are the parts that I touch and they didn't have the solid, quality feel that I wanted. Without starting the epic kimber back and forth, is there anything else I should change out? If I'm already swapping out this stuff I'd like to know if there's a common breakage point and head that of while I'm at it. Overall I love the gun so far. Just figured I'd head off any potential issues
View Quote

The whole gun. Seriously. Kimbers are a POS.
Link Posted: 11/14/2021 8:04:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By NightFlyer:

The whole gun. Seriously. Kimbers are a POS.
View Quote

Very helpful. If you look to your left you'll notice a bucket of dicks. Feel free to eat as many as you'd like.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 12:43:40 PM EDT
[#15]
I have 4 Kimber 1911 style pistols in my safe along with dozen other 1911 style pistols from Colt, SA and Norinco.
I purchased my first Kimber (Custom) in early 1999 followed by Target, TLE II and then Custom Carry II in late 2001 or early 2002.  I shoot my pistols a lot and my Kimbers are among my favorite to shoot as they are also my carry pistols and occasionally my hunting pistol.  My TLE II just passed 45k rounds few weeks ago and the Ultra Carry II is reaching 10k rounds with about 15k round with other 2 Kimbers.
While the TLE II is mildly customized other 3 are pretty much stock but I have had issues with some original Kimber parts.

On my Target model the adjustable rear sight broke 4 time within the first 2 years.  None would last more than 3,000 rounds and one broke within 1,000 rounds.  Kimber did replace the rear sight each time but it was obvious their adjustable sight were crap so I installed a Bomar Adjustable sight and I never had another problem.  I never had any problem with their fixed sights and actually like them a lot.

I also had 3 slide stops break on me.  One on the Custom, one on the Ultra Carry II and the TLE II.  The one on the Ultra Carry broke early...within first few hundred rounds but others lasted longer...several thousand rounds.  I always replaced the slide stop with Wilson part when they broke and never had any problem since.  On the Target model I replaced it before it broke.  

I had to replace the plunger tube on 3 pistols...twice on the TLE II.  This is common issue among 1911 type pistols as this part is frequently steaked improperly.  Even the Wilson plunger tube I had installed on the TLE II failed after about dozen years.    

Finally, I had to replace the barrel link on my TLE II few years ago with a Wilson part.  The original link was starting to get deformed but by then that pistol had fired over 35k rounds.  

The thumb safety on the Target broke couple years ago and I replaced it with a Wilson part.  Just to be safe, I replaced the thumb safety on other 3 with Wilson part at the same time.  

I also replaced all the extractors (some more than once) as I found extractors on my Ultra Carry and Target had developed chipped edges after many.  Also, Kimber extractors will not hold the correct tension on the rim after many years.  I replaced all 4 with Wilson extractors.    

These are parts that had broke (or worn out) on my pistols but I have witnessed some other parts break at matches.  I've seen a sear on a Target II break into couple pieces causing an AD at a state match in 2004.  When I got back from the match I ordered and replaced all 4 sears with Wilson part.  I also saw a barrel bushing break at a match.

I have replaced all their nylon MSH with steel one as I didn't like the idea of non-steel part and all my 1911 pistols gets an aluminum short reach trigger installed immediately as they fit my hand better.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top