Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/26/2018 3:21:38 PM EDT
I just picked up my first new 1911.

It's also my first 45.

When picking up bullets for the first time, should I use plated or lrn? The gun is a rock island tac ultra.

I also just got 3 Wilson combat mags from brownells....
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 3:33:21 PM EDT
[#1]
cast & coated from places like

missouri bullet

SNS casting

blue bullets

bayou bullets

precision bullets

black bullet int.

40/180's

Link Posted: 11/26/2018 3:45:54 PM EDT
[#2]
When properly loaded either should work just fine. I have used plain cast for decades. Most shooters these days will use the coated cast bullets which are only marginally more costly than traditional plain cast these days
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 3:53:44 PM EDT
[#3]
When I used to reload I used Oregon trail cast bullets because I shot steel a lot.
I guess plated is supposed to cause less fouling.
Jacketed is even better.

Nothing wrong with cast lead.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 3:58:24 PM EDT
[#4]
I/my 1911 really like Missouri Bullets 200gr SWC IDPA (18 Brinnel) over 4.0 gr Red Dot. I tumble lube bullets with Lee Alox in addition to the lube that comes on them. I hate leading. But since my son built the gun for me, I'll never carry it for defense, so I haven't shot anything else.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 4:46:35 PM EDT
[#5]
I may try blue bullets....
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 6:42:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I may try blue bullets....
View Quote
good stuff, and they support shooting sports like USPSA

3.8-3.9grs CLAYS over a 230gr is a wonderful load.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 7:37:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Either of your choices will work. I have shot thousands upon thousands of 230 cast lead through various .45s over the years. These days I shoot powdercoated as I have a hungry Glock 21 that doesn’t like plain lead.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 1:53:26 PM EDT
[#8]
When I shot IPSC years ago I had a local guy who made and sold lubed, sized, cast lead bullets.  I shot many 10's of thousands of those through my 1911's.

Cast and lubed, cast and coated, plated, or jacketed will all work well with the right loads whether you have a 1911 .45, .38 Super, or 9mm.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 5:24:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Plated or coated will produce less lead vapor to deposit on the the gun.

Neither has the accuracy of swagged lead SWCs though.
You likely cannot tell at this stage though.

FMJ ball rounds normally have exposed lead on the base of the bullet.  
So even those can make lead vapor.

TMJ (Total Metal Jacket) are better for that but more expensive.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 5:29:19 PM EDT
[#10]
you can go about 20k in cast lead without cleaning before your bullets start to tumble, clean and repeat. the lead buildup is nothing short of amazing.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 2:57:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Cast is cheapest, of course.  The biggest drawback is that they're smoky as hell.   Quite a few indoor ranges discourage their use.

Coated is next cheapest and will be considerably less smoky.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top