Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/28/2018 9:34:16 AM EDT
I am looking for self-defense 357 Magnum ammo out of 5.5” and 6” barrels.

Fiocchi makes a 158gr load using Hornady XTP bullets and the velocity is listed as 1250fps at this link but no barrel length is listed.  Hornady I found 1250fps but barrel length is also not listed.  So the velocity for both brands for the same bullet appear to be the same.  I understand that reloaders can load it much hotter than this.

I can’t find any ballistic gelatin testing for the two brands except for water jugs using the Fiocchi brand below.

[youtube]https://youtu.be/F-tereytW28[/youtube]

Does anyone know if there is any significant difference in the two brands in terms of quality and/or terminal ballistics?

There is a significant difference in price, 56 cents per round for the Fiocchi if you buy 500 rnds and 76 cpr for the Hornady if you buy 250 rnds, both listed at SGAmmo.

Any advice or comments is appreciated!
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 6:34:24 PM EDT
[#1]
The velocities listed for .357 mag are usually 4" barrels. From a 6" barrel this load will be over 1,300 fps.

For personal protection I would imagine this load would be pretty deep penetrating as it's more well known as a hunting round.

Have you thought about a lighter round for personal defense? Something in the 125 grain range?
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 5:29:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Lucky Gunner did a test on them and out of both a 2 and 4 inch barrel, they did DECENT.  Not great (low expansion) but expanded despite being a Hornady XTP and penetrated deeply.  I've shot the factory loadings  (Fiocchi and Hornady) and they are mild compared to other .357 mangle-um loadings, lower flash and easy recoil, but still having enough power to punch.  I handload them regularly and they are accurate and can be hotrodded, but I think  the bullet construction will still prohibit any dramatic (1.5x bullet diameter) expansion.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 8:14:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The velocities listed for .357 mag are usually 4" barrels. From a 6" barrel this load will be over 1,300 fps.

For personal protection I would imagine this load would be pretty deep penetrating as it's more well known as a hunting round.

Have you thought about a lighter round for personal defense? Something in the 125 grain range?
View Quote
Thanks guys.

@HoodyHoo21

Any suggestions for 125 grain for self-defense?
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 7:35:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Thanks guys.

@HoodyHoo21

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks guys.

@HoodyHoo21

I've been doing alot of reading. And for me.  The Buffalo Bore 125gr Barnes short barrel load looks good

I carry a 640 and my HD rifle is a 92.

Going by the LuckyGunner tests. It does well in 2 & 4in barrels.  Then at the BuffaloBore site they list the round going 1600fps +/- in a carbine.  Bullet does well at that speed too.

I need to shoot it.   If it shoots poa/poi on my pistol and doesnt have alot of muzzle flash as advertised. Ill be really happy.

But Ive been shooting the 158gr Fiochhi XTPs and I like them. Shoot good. Not alot of flash.  Rifle likes them.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 7:59:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Thanks guys.

@HoodyHoo21

View Quote
125gr is the weight for SD .357.

I'd suggest Gold Dot 125gr, or if you want maximum power, Underwood 125gr Bonded (1700fps from a 6".)
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 11:44:34 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm also a fan of the 125 grain GoldDot.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top