Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/17/2018 11:38:03 PM EDT
While I have almost 2 dozen revolvers, I never considered buying a .22lr revolver, even after learning to shoot with a single action ruger bearclaw when I was a wee lad.
Was looking at going all revolver for competing in steel matches this year and decided to take a look at the 617, as I like smiths and I've been working on them for decades.
I found one for a good price and did some trigger + spring magic to it before I even took a shot. The trigger was 11 lbs DA and 5 lbs SA. Now it's a smooth 7 lbs DA and 2lbs SA.
Had some issues with lighting primers off in DAO mode with the stock hammer, so after some advice taken, I ordered an Apex DAO Mass Hammer to hopefully remedy that situation.
This gun is just plain fun to shoot and is super accurate on top of it.
It's ten shots of pure enjoyment and I should've bought one years ago.
SJC
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 12:13:40 AM EDT
[#1]
They're one of the "grab one if you can" guns, because they keep gaining in value. Even if you shoot the heck out of it.
I have a really nice dash zero, six shot. Someday maybe I'll also grab one of the later ten shot models.
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 12:23:16 AM EDT
[#2]
I love my 617-6 as well.

Added some Ahrends grips to make it perfect
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 4:30:24 AM EDT
[#3]
I'd like to get one of the 10 shot's in the future. They do just seem to keep climbing though.

Seems like last year they were under 600 and now you can barely find them just under 7. This is just for the new ones. Who knows what the Pre lock are doing...well, I assume "who" would be people that aren't me.
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 10:38:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Haven't shot my 617-1 much in the last 20 years but this thread is a good reminder to do so this year.
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 10:50:34 AM EDT
[#5]
I've got a -2 model, with the alloy cylinder. I remember working at a gun shop when these came out, everyone thought the cylinder would blow up.

When I saw this one for sale I bought it immediately. It's one of my favorite guns.
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 4:57:47 PM EDT
[#6]
No dash 4" here with combats.  One of my favorites.
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 5:14:54 PM EDT
[#7]
without a 22lr revolver life is dark joyless chaos I don't know how folks live without them.
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 8:06:38 PM EDT
[#8]
My 617 is one of the last guns I would ever part with - especially since the price has gone up a little since I bought mine around a decade ago.
Link Posted: 1/21/2018 2:16:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Even more enjoyment when you match it up with it's bigger brothers, the 629 and 686:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/21/2018 6:26:58 PM EDT
[#10]
I got the 617 and made it a mini me of my 929.
Weighs a 1/2 oz less than the 929, their both DAO and I have both triggers set at 7 lbs.
It's a K frame, so it's just big enough to fit my mitts, unlike the J frame models.
The Apex hammer works good. I also added a Power customs Ext firing pin and a Wilson comp spring kit.
I painted the front sight red, but I'll be adding a FO sight as soon as I can.
The speed beezs loading block & loaders make loading it a breeze, so no more fumbling with those small pills anymore.
It shoots like no tomorrow and is the perfect addition to the stable.
I just need to find the best food to feed it and I'll be set.
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 8:28:07 PM EDT
[#11]
I bought mine on the spot when I saw it.

I had been looking for a little while and quickly came to realize that they are not easy to come by.
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 9:35:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Traded a 1952 production Marlin 39A for my -3 6" 6 shot about 8 years ago. Good trade at the time, but I think the value of the Marlin has passed the Smith by now.

I don't really shoot it much, and that's probably due mostly to the weight. If it had a 4" half lug instead of a 6" full lug I think it would be a much better fit for me.

I've offered it for tade a couple times and never had the right deal come through.

Might help if I cleaned the sap off the grips before taking pictures.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 2:04:25 AM EDT
[#13]
What would a 617 in .22 Magnum be worth?
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 11:18:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Pretty sure that'd be a 648.
Might start with that.
No idea on the value though, sorry.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 12:05:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Love my 6" 617-1. That's the first gun I let a new shooter fire when they are a bit afraid/apprehensive about pulling the trigger due to seeing recoil on TV.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 12:10:56 PM EDT
[#16]
I have a 617 no dash 6 shot.  Love it!
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 12:29:17 PM EDT
[#17]
I suspect you will find a 7 lb DA pull will be too light for reliable ignition.  Rimfire ammo needs a pretty good smack which is why most 22 DA guns come with a heavy trigger.  Nature of the beast.  My experience with spring kits on rimfires is spotty as best.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 8:59:42 PM EDT
[#18]
My 11-year-old daughter and I were at the range yesterday shooting my SR22. When we finished, she politely informed me that she likes to shoot revolvers, and that I don't have a 22 revolver.  I'd love to get a 617, as my 686 is my favorite revolver to shoot.  Maybe I'll have to get a 617 for me and something a bit smaller for her!
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 9:15:07 PM EDT
[#19]
After alot of trial and error, I ended up with an 8lb trigger pull weight for reliable ignition with almost any 22lr round.
With some reservations I followed some advice from my rim fire savvy friends and went back to using the stock firing pin, instead of the Ext firing pin.
It's working great, Once it got through my thick skull that the methods used to make a center fire revolver more reliable don't apply to rim fire revovlers.
I've already put over a thousand rounds through it and the trigger is really smoothing out.
I had good accuracy and 100% ignition using Fed automatch ammo.
It was just my luck that a local store had it on sale, so I bought a lot of it.
I added a dawson F/O front sight and another speed beez 100 rd loading box/block, so now this baby is almost ready for the 2018 steel plate season.
Almost, as I need to find a cheaper speed loader carrier, as i'm not paying $35 + S/H for one speed loader carrier !
I need six and I would rather spend that money buying another 5K rounds of Ammo !
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 9:52:15 PM EDT
[#20]
MY 6" 10 shot love Automatch

As far as the speedloaders...do eet

IT really adds to the fun.

Amazon Product
  • Includes both Block and Case!
  • Fits 617 10 Shot
  • More Shooting Enjoyment

Amazon Product
  • Smith and Wesson Model 617 10-shot 22LR speed loader
  • A competition-proven speed loader
  • Rugged and durable

Link Posted: 2/13/2018 12:47:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Extra speedloaders are nice but with the loading block at hand you can get away with one In steel challenge. The reloads are not
On the clock technically don’t need speedloaders at all.
My 2 favorite revolvers period are my 17 ( made the year I was born) and a 2” model 34. I detest stainless steel and full lug barrels and while it will never happen would really like S&W to come out with a blue 10 shot light barrel .22
And if you really want to see what a good revolver is capable of get some true match ammo, standard velocity. Accuracy will generally improve greatly over bulk pack high velocity ( don’t be fooled by federal marketing -auto match is low run of the mill bulk pack they attached a fancy name to )
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 1:11:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I don't really shoot it much, and that's probably due mostly to the weight. If it had a 4" half lug instead of a 6" full lug I think it would be a much better fit for me.

I've offered it for tade a couple times and never had the right deal come through.

Might help if I cleaned the sap off the grips before taking pictures.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/177960/1516671492807-1743150939-428519.JPG
View Quote
I have a 6" just like yours and I have exactly the same sentiment. I love S&W revolvers, and I really want to like this one, but I just can't make the 6" work with me. It just does not balance in my hand the way I want it to. Shooting offhand, I'm all over the place with it. I even mounted an RMR on it, and with that, you can see the dot all over the place. My go to .22 is a HS Victor, that fits like a glove. Why S&W decided to go full lug on their revolvers is beyond me. I would do an even trade for a 4" version, even a newer full length 4", in a heartbeat. I'm hoping that would work better.
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 4:50:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
What would a 617 in .22 Magnum be worth?
View Quote
Look it up on Gun Broker, in closed auctions.  Be sure it's a sold item & not merely out of time.
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 4:52:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
My 11-year-old daughter and I were at the range yesterday shooting my SR22. When we finished, she politely informed me that she likes to shoot revolvers, and that I don't have a 22 revolver.  I'd love to get a 617, as my 686 is my favorite revolver to shoot.  Maybe I'll have to get a 617 for me and something a bit smaller for her!
View Quote
A six shot j-frame Model 63 would fit her perfectly. As she gets older, just change the grips to accommodate her hand size.

In fact, I think there's one right now in the EE.
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 9:47:50 PM EDT
[#25]
I have two speed beez 100 ct blocks and 6 speed loaders, just no carriers yet.
I keep them in a pouch, but I need to be real careful with it, or the rounds will pop out of the loaders.
Not good when you get to the line, but luckily it's only practice now.
I've got some ideas and I'll make something before the season starts.
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 10:02:03 PM EDT
[#26]
I tried a lot of different ammo in my 617. Bought 100 rds of each brand to test. From Eley and wolf match to low ball value pack stuff.
Automatch has been the only one that has worked 100% of the time.
Extracts with no issues, even after 400 rounds fired without a break and is accurate for me, so I'm sticking with it.
With the hard extraction of some of the other brands of ammo, I thought I was going to have to ream the cylinder chambers, but now I don't need to.
Now I can shoot till my trigger finger is tired.
Link Posted: 2/26/2018 1:24:46 AM EDT
[#27]
617 is a great wheelie, love my 10 shot. It's a blast on the rim fire range.
Link Posted: 2/26/2018 1:33:49 AM EDT
[#28]
Since the topic is moving towards speedloaders, go Ansac spendy but no movement to the bullets, you can easily reload when the gun is at a 45 degree angle, no need to move the loader around to get the bullets in.

Shooters Connection Store has them
Link Posted: 2/26/2018 12:30:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

A six shot j-frame Model 63 would fit her perfectly. As she gets older, just change the grips to accommodate her hand size.

In fact, I think there's one right now in the EE.
View Quote
About 2 years ago a friend let me shoot is 4" Model 63, I think it was a 4".  Anyways...  I was banging the little caldwell steel targets at 25 meters and was having so much fun.  Double Action only.  I was using a rest though for most of that.  But still was so much fun.   There's just something right about shooting a double action revolver.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top