Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/12/2021 11:18:41 AM EDT
What is your favorite concealment holster for the L frame?

What is your favorite open carry/OWB holster for the L frame?
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 12:22:03 PM EDT
[#1]
For OWB carry for an L frame, I've been using a Galco Phoenix for about 15 years.  They were $120 at the time, they've gone up a bit since then .  I like the thumb snap vs. stupid snap on the outside, and it can be RH strongside or crossdraw depending on what you need.  I don't have a picture of it handy, but my S&W 620 (half underlug 4", see my avatar) rides in it comfortably, and it's been on my hip while hunting for years.  Not sure I'd want to try IWB with a 4" L-frame, but the rig above conceals well enough in wintertime or under a heavier jacket.

Either way, a good gun belt is a must.  I've been using Bullhide Leather Belts almost exclusively since 2014, and a Galgo Rigger's type belt before that.  If you're trying to carry a heavy gun like that on some cheap belt from Kohl's or something, you're gonna have a bad time
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 12:44:48 PM EDT
[#2]
I second what Seven-Shooter recommended. I use the Phoenix for my K, L, and N frames . Great OWB holster . 20% off right now at Galco.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 3:21:47 PM EDT
[#3]
I have been known to carry a 3" L frame IWB before. It is not cumbersome at all but I have never found a holster I really liked for it.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 5:17:12 PM EDT
[#4]
I carry my m66 aiwb every day in a jmcustom aiwb holster. Id start there if I had a l frame.

After that Id look to Ryan grizzle
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 7:42:52 PM EDT
[#5]
I like the DeSantis Thumb Break for concealment of my 3". My small can of pepper spray prints massively more than the gun does.
I prefer shoulder carry in general, at the moment I've got a Galco Miami Classic with offside speedloader pouch. It's comfortable but not terribly concealable without a large coat, as that speedloader pouch is massive (it's made to fit n-frame speedloaders).
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 10:17:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I like the DeSantis Thumb Break for concealment of my 3". My small can of pepper spray prints massively more than the gun does.
I prefer shoulder carry in general, at the moment I've got a Galco Miami Classic with offside speedloader pouch. It's comfortable but not terribly concealable without a large coat, as that speedloader pouch is massive (it's made to fit n-frame speedloaders).
View Quote

Even with the speed strip pouches it isn't much more concealable. It is nice for a backup gun though.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 10:58:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Even with the speed strip pouches it isn't much more concealable. It is nice for a backup gun though.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/433221/20210228_133920_jpg-1904349.JPG
View Quote

That is a lot of holster, for a lot of gun.  What cartridge slide is that?
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 11:23:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/433221/20210228_133920_jpg-1904349.JPG

Elpasso saddlery, its boarder stamped to go with my threepersons holster.. The iwb holster is ryan grizzle
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 10:45:19 PM EDT
[#9]
As others mentioned, for both I prefer a shoulder holster. I use Galcos vertical shoulder holster system. There's no way I can carry an L frame concealed IWB or OWB without looking like I'm well passed due for an appendectomy.  I also find it a very comfortable way to carry all day.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 8:59:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the suggestions so far.

I do not wear a jacket indoors so I doubt a shoulder holster will ever work well for me.

I tried AIWB with a Glock 23 and just could never get comfortable with it. Maybe it would be OK with a j frame.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 6:14:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I do not wear a jacket indoors so I doubt a shoulder holster will ever work well for me.

I tried AIWB with a Glock 23 and just could never get comfortable with it. Maybe it would be OK with a j frame.
View Quote

Fwiw the comfort difference between a 3" k frame and a g19 aiwb is extreme, and I carried a g19 for 10yrs aiwb.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 8:09:18 AM EDT
[#12]
I noticed Midway had the Bianchi Black Widow on sale last week so I bough one to try as a general OWB holster.

I like it for my 3" L frames. The jury is out on the 4".
With the 4", the front sight can catch on the draw if you don't concentrate.

I am still interested in other options (esp IWB) but will test drive this one for a bit before buying anything else.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 1:34:42 PM EDT
[#13]
OWB depends on wether you'll want to ever conceal it or not.

If not the Safariland 567 is a very innexpensive but very good holster, it rides far enough away from the body that it results in very fast draw times but is can be annoying as it'll hit your arm unless you do the "walk with your elbow out" thing.

If you want higher/tighter in medium quality production type, the Desantis speed scabbard is pretty decent for very little money, Galco combat master will also hide a 4" N-frame under a loose t-shirt but is way overpriced.

Much better holsters (especially for every day use) are the Davis Leather Liberty (avenger style, he'll make them for revolvers) or the best bang for the buck I've found, a Mernickle PS series. All 4 or those are suitable for concealed or open.

For kydex I'd be talking to Dale Fricke (IWB or OWB).
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 3:57:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Mernickle ps6da or something from Simply Rugged Holsters.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 4:01:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

I tried a j frame and a few models of glock appendix, but never really liked any of it.

I got a desantis OWB thumb break for my k frame 66. It was surprisingly comfortable and easy to conceal. It was possible with a t shirt but printed pretty well if you moved weird. Sweatshirt really helped that.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 2:48:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I carry my m66 aiwb every day in a jmcustom aiwb holster. Id start there if I had a l frame.

View Quote

@03RN

I know you've posted a photo of how the holder rides concealed, do you have a foam wedge on it?
And which of the JMCK holster models is it?

I have several Wing Claw variations for my autos, never tried the standard 'AIWB'... but the lump on the trigger guard area looks like it would achieve the same ends as the claw.

If you were to order another one today, would you stick with the one you have or try another variation?

Looking at giving my 686 some playtime in the woods and such this year, still prefer AIWB over other options... so JMCK is getting an order one way or the other.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 5:13:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

@03RN

I know you've posted a photo of how the holder rides concealed, do you have a foam wedge on it?

I have several Wing Claw variations for my autos, never tried the standard 'AIWB'... but the lump on the trigger guard area looks like it would achieve the same ends as the claw.

If you were to order another one today, would you stick with the one you have or try another variation?

Looking at giving my 686 some playtime in the woods and such this year, still prefer AIWB over other options... so JMCK is getting an order one way or the other.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@03RN

At the time I ordered JM did not offer a claw version.

I was hesitant because I use the claw on several of their holsters.

I would not change a thing. It is very concealable and its a very small footprint. It made me look into a non claw 1911 holster(tenicore).
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 6:51:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

At the time I ordered JM did not offer a claw version.

I was hesitant because I use the claw on several of their holsters.

I would not change a thing. It is very concealable and its a very small footprint. It made me look into a non claw 1911 holster(tenicore).
View Quote

Thank you, I think I’ll give one a try.

Edit:

@03RN

Got my JM AIWB today, went with same clip setup as yours, high guard and a small pad... even with only twenty or so minutes of wear around the house I can tell it will be the holster of choice for my 66-8.

Now I need to convince myself I don't need one for the L-Frame and N-Frame guns in my safe as well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top