Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » FN
Site Notices
Posted: 9/25/2022 11:11:05 PM EDT
I have a FN FNP 45 Tac, and love it.  One of my best guns.

For my own knowledge, what were the differences between the FNP and the later and current FNX versions?

Mags of course - it's not FN if you don't make a gun which you then obsolete in 3-4 years, mags included.

The chamber I heard is fully supported compared to the FNP, which was supposedly had case rupture issues with bad ammo.

What else is different?  

Thanks,

Link Posted: 9/29/2022 3:27:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By 1stID:
I have a FN FNP 45 Tac, and love it.  One of my best guns.

For my own knowledge, what were the differences between the FNP and the later and current FNX versions?

Mags of course - it's not FN if you don't make a gun which you then obsolete in 3-4 years, mags included.

The chamber I heard is fully supported compared to the FNP, which was supposedly had case rupture issues with bad ammo.

What else is different?  

Thanks,

View Quote

Lower bore axis and a true ambi mag release, not just switchable, slightly different sights and multiple backstraps instead of just one flippable one.
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 6:05:51 AM EDT
[#2]
It was my first handgun back in 2007 when they first came out. Mine is a very early decocker only model without the manual safety. It is accurate as fuck and generally reliable, but the magazines can be sensitive to cheap ammo loaded too long. The only malfunctions mine has had have been nosedives in the magazines with cheap ammo.

Minor changes were made when they evolved the FNP into the FNX. Slide travel was lengthened slightly, and magazines were lengthened slightly to resolve the OAL issues with cheap ammo. Also, the front locking surfaces of the barrel hood were changed slightly, they aren't as wide on the FNX. My FNP has slight peening on these edges so that's probably why they did that. They did add a bit of chamber support to the FNX barrel, but both are rated for +P according to FN. Somebody makes a .460 Rowland conversion for them; I've shot plenty of +P out of mine with no issues or concerns. A guy on one of the FN boards had his slide come apart after a few thousand rounds of .45 Super with no modifications to the gun.

It's an FN handgun, so mags are ~$50. You can still find them on Gunmag Whorehouse's website. As I mentioned, the bodies are slightly longer on FNX magazines so FNX magazines will fit in an FNP frame but it will be uncomfortably tight, and FNP magazines will be a bit wobbly in the FNX. I have plenty of both but apparently it doesn't cause function issues. You can tell FNX magazines and FNP magazines apart by looking at the witness holes on the back of the Magazine body; FNX magazines will have 15 holes-1 for each round-and FNP magazines will have 3 along the centerline-one at the 5 round mark, one at 10, and one at either 14 or 15 depending on whether they came with the rounded baseplate that allows a 15 round capacity or the flat one that allows for 14 rounds. Floorplates are also slightly different-FNP floorplates have a rib in them but that's pretty minor. Don't buy 10 rounders and try to convert them, they are scored along the magazine body so if you drill out the dimples the magazine body comes apart into two pieces.

The trigger's nothing special, but not bad. Just a pretty plain DA/SA duty trigger. DA is long but not really heavy. The grip really isn't that big, I never had an issue with it and wear medium size gloves. IIRC it's 0.2" larger in circumference than a Glock 21.

Optic mounts interchange between the FNX and FNP, magazines baseplates do too and I think springs also do, recoil spring assemblies are the same for both pistols, and Midwest Gunworks sells parts. I believe FNX barrels will fit an FNP but am not sure.

Soft shooters, good pistols, and they seem to be the only handgun FN can keep in production since they killed the real Hi-Power.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/509384/20210902_192213-2075935.jpg

They will tear up your thumbs getting the last 5 rounds in them, so I have plenty to load over time so I don't have to reload at the range. There's over $1,000 in magazines in this photo, but TBF 5 of them came with the pistols.
Link Posted: 10/1/2022 3:38:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the info.

I agree, it's a great gun and love mine.  Was wondering if there was any reason to every considered a move from FNP to FNX but sounds like there's not a reason to bother.

Unlike my 9mm where I do shoot cheap Russian steel case ammo in them, on the FNX I avoid the steel stuff and use PPU or S&B brass in it.
Page Handguns » FN
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top