Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/29/2020 3:47:25 PM EDT
I'm fortunate to have found one in such decent, mostly unfired shape. I looked for one a long time but those I found looked like they were dragged behind a pickup truck.
I should not have been surprised at the range yesterday. Shooting my new / old FEG PJK-9HP was every bit as enjoyable as any genuine Hi power I've owned or shot. Aside from needing to lose the Pachmayr grips it needed nothing, I even shot it dry for one mag to see how well it worked before oiling it!

The FEG's PJK-9HP are as I suspected an undiscovered jewel.

Link Posted: 4/29/2020 4:42:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JamesTheScot] [#1]
I just couldn’t justify the premium a “real” HP commands. It’s just never going to be a carry gun for me.

So I jumped on the same pistol you snagged at a LGS when I did a little google work to verify that it’s an exact copy.

I love shooting it. It’s built like a tank. And I won’t freak out over deciding whether or not to reblue or duracoat it.

I love guns like the FEG. The locals don’t recognize the name so they discount the quality. That allows me to buy a lot of really good guns cheap. It used to be that same way with CZ’s.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 10:44:34 PM EDT
[#2]
I remember an old police supply having several new ones along with a bunch of morons nagants....

Shouldawouldacoulda
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 11:21:17 PM EDT
[#3]
I am on my second one after foolishly selling the first.   I found it for $299 Lnib at local fun show.  I hurt something pulling out my wallet.   I actually like shooting better than my Glocks.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 9:50:41 AM EDT
[#4]
can you add an ambidextrous safety to the FEGs like a "real" hi power?
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 9:33:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By penrod72:
can you add an ambidextrous safety to the FEGs like a "real" hi power?
View Quote

Yes.  HP parts fit.  May need fitting.
Link Posted: 10/20/2020 8:53:57 PM EDT
[#6]
I've been carrying mine for several years.  It just shoots well.

John

The Gospel according to Saint John the Browning, Chapter 19, verse 35.
"And in the presence of mine enemies I shall rely upon a Higher Power,
and it shall be my salvation."

Amen, bitches.
Link Posted: 10/21/2020 12:05:49 PM EDT
[#7]
They are really well-built pistols.  I picked up a beater not long ago for about $300.  Finish was a mess, but the barrel looked okay.  I sent it to APW to be chromed and other work - basically 3x what I paid for the gun, but I couldn't bring myself to chrome a genuine HP.
Link Posted: 10/21/2020 12:06:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Iain:
I've been carrying mine for several years.  It just shoots well.https://i.imgur.com/QhqI9VE.jpg

John

The Gospel according to Saint John the Browning, Chapter 19, verse 35.
"And in the presence of mine enemies I shall rely upon a Higher Power,
and it shall be my salvation."

Amen, bitches.
View Quote

What are the grips on that?  I like them.
Link Posted: 10/21/2020 1:17:23 PM EDT
[#9]
I've had one for many years. I will never part with it.
Link Posted: 10/21/2020 1:34:15 PM EDT
[#10]
I scored a LNIB FEG HP a few years back at the LGS. Under $300 otd.
Link Posted: 10/21/2020 8:58:56 PM EDT
[#11]
I like mine as well.

Link Posted: 10/21/2020 9:18:44 PM EDT
[#12]
I have one. Nice little pistol. Bites me; need to wear gloves.

Felt like I had to own one.

Mine's in pretty mint condition. I don't recall if I tried HP's in it or not; it wasn't going to be a carry gun, just a shooter, so I think not.
Link Posted: 10/22/2020 5:01:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By sundance435:

What are the grips on that?  I like them.
View Quote

I'm sorry to admit that I don't recall.  Too many years, too many blows to the head.

John
Link Posted: 10/26/2020 2:11:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Bought a FEG PJK-9HP brand new in the early 90's.
Wish I would've had the money at the time to buy a crate.
Link Posted: 12/9/2020 5:37:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 1:02:34 PM EDT
[#16]
My very first handgun was an PJK-9HP. Didn't have a clue what it was. It was like new and shot great. Sold it and soon discovered what I had when I tried to find another one. Found another a few years ago and won't sell this one. I did Cerakote the frame matte black.  Basically every HP part works. Slide stops need an angle adjustment, but that's the only part I've had to make much adjustment outside of normal HP fitting issues. I've had several Browning's and a few FN's that that were beautiful. Too pretty and expensive to every carry or use. I love the FEG for these purposes.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:27:05 PM EDT
[#17]
I've owned a couple and found them to be great shooters. They dress up pretty well too!
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:51:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By gnappi:
The FEG's PJK-9HP are as I suspected an undiscovered jewel.\
View Quote

You certainly did.

The only other, even more elusive and beautiful model to dream about is FEG FP9 -- the Vented  Rib

I do not know if HPs had any vented ribs models, but I think it looks nice and functional for easier sight acquisition (in exchange for poor canceal-ability)
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 10:44:35 AM EDT
[#19]
Attachment Attached File

They are great guns to customize.  I carry this one frequently.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 10:44:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: steve88GT] [#20]
Double post.

Link Posted: 1/28/2021 2:05:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: nsnate02] [#21]
My current PJK-9HP
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 11:22:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Love mine.   One of these days I'll send it off for some decent sights and some other minor things.

Link Posted: 2/24/2021 2:48:44 AM EDT
[#23]
Until recently, the FEG samples were silly low priced. Nowadays I've seen them going for quite a bit more.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 3:06:50 AM EDT
[#24]
I have one. Great shooter and accurate.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 3:19:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Krashdog] [#25]
Yes. Yes indeed.

I’m one of those deranged gun guys that trade all the time.

I didn’t know much about the Hi Power but thought it looked cool. I found this at gander mountain of all places. $199 I’d never heard of feg before.

I didn’t want to stipple it but wanted something on the front . I used lizard lick. I liked it enough to do it on the back and sanded the grips smooth.

The finish was way better than expected and the gun fit well in my 1911 iwb bianchi

I sold it for $300

It’d be cool if I saw it on any of the local boards .

I’d probably buy it back

Link Posted: 3/20/2021 9:55:21 PM EDT
[#26]
After lusting over the Hi Power since I was a teen in the early-mid 80's, I finally bought one.

Stopped by an LGS this afternoon after a wasted trip to the gun show ($1/round 9mm ammo and guns at true market value +50%) and saw this gem under the glass.

The guy claimed that it belonged to the shop's owner (who recently pulled several personal guns out of his safe to put up for sale), and was unfired. The wear, or lack thereof, on the frame rails, etc. leads me to believe it's true...although it's obviously been gone over as the magazine disconnect is gone and it has a nice, smooth 3 lb. trigger. Not knowing anything about the HP's, I came home and began my internet education...and after reading about the "click test", I was happy to find that it passed.

Price was $399...my only gauge was the HP's I saw at the show and a few at other LGS's. The cheapest Browning was a rough example that appeared to have been spray painted silver over the bluing for $850, and an FEG at another shop that was well used for $375.

I don't plan to do any work to it, as it won't be a carry gun...it'll be just for those times when I want to put the plastic striker guns down for a minute and remember what wood and blue steel feel like.

Link Posted: 3/20/2021 10:45:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By kwb377:
After lusting over the Hi Power since I was a teen in the early-mid 80's, I finally bought one.

Stopped by an LGS this afternoon after a wasted trip to the gun show ($1/round 9mm ammo and guns at true market value +50%) and saw this gem under the glass.

The guy claimed that it belonged to the shop's owner (who recently pulled several personal guns out of his safe to put up for sale), and was unfired. The wear, or lack thereof, on the frame rails, etc. leads me to believe it's true...although it's obviously been gone over as the magazine disconnect is gone and it has a nice, smooth 3 lb. trigger. Not knowing anything about the HP's, I came home and began my internet education...and after reading about the "click test", I was happy to find that it passed.

Price was $399...my only gauge was the HP's I saw at the show and a few at other LGS's. The cheapest Browning was a rough example that appeared to have been spray painted silver over the bluing for $850, and an FEG at another shop that was well used for $375.

I don't plan to do any work to it, as it won't be a carry gun...it'll be just for those times when I want to put the plastic striker guns down for a minute and remember what wood and blue steel feel like.

https://a4.pbase.com/g12/07/240307/2/171496977.UoKoll43.jpg

https://a4.pbase.com/g12/07/240307/2/171496978.ECMC22yO.jpg

https://a4.pbase.com/g12/07/240307/2/171496979.7OOfLhQ1.jpg

https://a4.pbase.com/g12/07/240307/2/171496980.FfQhkZPr.jpg
View Quote

Nice find! Take that mag saftey out of the trigger and your trigger well be much better.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 6:30:22 PM EDT
[#28]
i picked one up last year.it was in rough shape but with today's panic prices i got it for $320.
i replaced the recoil spring,extractor and extractor spring with Browning Hi-Power parts because it having FTE's.
the firing pin i ordered did not fit.
i also had it cerakoted.

Link Posted: 5/3/2021 11:05:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Looks nice Toy. Is it easy or hard to find Hi Powers and clones up north?
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 9:50:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: toyboy123] [#30]
i was working down in
Alabama for a year so i got it there.it's stored down there for me.
can't wait to get back there and shoot it again.
9mm is cheap and plentiful here in Canada by the way.I don't know why ammo is so hard to find/expensive in the states.

down in Canada right now older collectable hi powers are available but at a real premium.prices are crazy now.
even run of the mill hi powers aren't cheap and somewhat rare.

the clones are near non existant.

Link Posted: 6/1/2021 4:07:33 PM EDT
[#31]
Nice! Just bought an Bulgarian Arcus 94 that i cant wait to take to range!
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 3:58:36 PM EDT
[#32]
I bought a FEG highpower 9mm in about 2000 that was still new in the box.  I still have the box somewhere.

Link Posted: 9/29/2021 1:07:03 PM EDT
[#33]
I purchased one back in the 90s. It has thousands of rounds through it and I still have it. The strange thing is that while it is the grittiest trigger of all my HPs, I shoot that gun the most accurate.

As far as the urban myth about “soft steel” that is nonsense.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 1:39:39 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By toyboy123:  i was working down in
Alabama for a year so i got it there.it's stored down there for me.
can't wait to get back there and shoot it again.
9mm is cheap and plentiful here in Canada by the way.I don't know why ammo is so hard to find/expensive in the states.

down in Canada right now older collectable hi powers are available but at a real premium.prices are crazy now.
even run of the mill hi powers aren't cheap and somewhat rare.

the clones are near non existant.
View Quote

Getcha some 10 round mags & talk to these folks:  https://irunguns.ca/
Link Posted: 10/1/2021 3:34:07 PM EDT
[#35]
Picked up (still have) right before original crime bill.  Has always been rock solid.  Only changes, new stocks and removed the magazine/trigger safety.
Link Posted: 11/26/2021 8:26:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sheltot] [#36]
Link Posted: 11/26/2021 8:37:18 PM EDT
[#37]
I purchased one new in 1993. Well made, the blueing is fantastic.
Link Posted: 12/6/2021 10:00:02 PM EDT
[#38]
Nabbed this one used at a gun show several years ago.

I removed the mag safety and was shocked how good the trigger is after that.
A friend of mine made the grips as a demo set to show off different accent sizes when he was still making custom grips and rifle stocks.  I picked them up when he got out of the business.
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 5:22:09 AM EDT
[#39]
I bought a used Hungarian PJK-9HP last month for $499…. Not a great price or even a good price, but I haven’t seen any Hi Powers in my neck of the woods in the last 5 years.  Especially after I bought two used 1976 Browning Hi Powers for $499.00 each back in 2006/2007.

I regret passing on a NIB Hungarian HP back in 2004, but it is what it is….  I’m still pissed for passing on $275.00 Chinese folding stock AKs back in 1986/1987!!
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 7:05:05 AM EDT
[#40]
I got 2 of them.  Bought them years ago.  they have been pretty solid guns.
Link Posted: 10/11/2022 7:59:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bergunx] [#41]
Honestly, if you see a FEG’, especially one of their civilian KBI imports, jump on it.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top