Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/27/2021 9:42:04 PM EDT
Especially when the average Salad Days price was around $210. That's with free shipping/no tax, a $10 transfer fee, and the $50 rebate.

Link Posted: 3/27/2021 10:02:24 PM EDT
[#1]
I should have bought more at the cheap price.   I like my regular shield.  I would just get a 26 at this point tho.
Link Posted: 3/27/2021 10:51:44 PM EDT
[#2]
My 8 year old Shield is very reliable with little holster wear, have MagGuts in couple of mags. I'm more accurate with it than full size M&P 9.
Link Posted: 3/27/2021 10:57:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Was just talking with by buddy tonight and he bought two on the gen 1's and I bought one back when they were $239 and wishing we bought a few more.

Link Posted: 3/27/2021 11:03:40 PM EDT
[#4]
I have had my gen 1 since 2012 and have carried it nearly everyday since I got it. I had a Sig365 and I didnt like it. Kept carrying my Shield.

I may be a bit spoiled though as I have an Apex sear and trigger. I am not buying the Plus just yet. Maybe in a few more years.
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 6:33:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My 8 year old Shield is very reliable with little holster wear, have MagGuts in couple of mags. I'm more accurate with it than full size M&P 9.
View Quote

You've got that right.  Both our Shields (9MM) are more accurate than my full sized 9 and .40 M&Ps.

And no, I won't be buying the bigger one.  I bought the Shield because it was small.
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 7:03:17 AM EDT
[#6]
For all the upgrades on the Plus at present I cannot justify the purchase esp. when the price is around MSRP and in some cases above MSRP. And then there's the issue of where you're going to obtain more magazines.

Then again if I see one locally I might fold under pressure.

Possible but unlikely. LGS, which normally has very fair prices on handguns, has said that when their allotment arrives provided it ever does that they are going to be priced at $579+tax. Ouch.
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 10:55:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Been carrying the Shield 9mm 2.0 since it came out  (sometimes 45) and have no complaints.  Not saying I will never get the Plus version but one thing that might keep me from it is the loaded weight.  Loaded with fourteen 147 HST rounds is supposedly weighs in at a little over twenty five ounces.  This is getting into compact size weight area instead of sub-compact.  I know a few ounces doesn't really mean much but it is noticeable after a long carry day.
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 7:24:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

You've got that right.  Both our Shields (9MM) are more accurate than my full sized 9 and .40 M&Ps.

And no, I won't be buying the bigger one.  I bought the Shield because it was small.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can't tell the size difference. Even holding it in your hand it still feels 99% the same.
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 8:40:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

You can't tell the size difference. Even holding it in your hand it still feels 99% the same.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This. The Plus corrects 3 of the 4 problems I had w/my 1.0's: Trigger, grip texture & capacity (4th is a more easily usable slide release [and I don't care if it's called a slide stop]).
Tomac
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 1:28:31 PM EDT
[#10]
It's better, but no reason to ditch your Gen 1.

Many years ago I worked at a Dodge dealership. A guy with a new-looking 5.9L '02 Ram came in to trade into a 5.7L HEMI '03 Ram. With depreciation and all the fees, he ended up paying about $12k for a few less miles and a slightly more powerful engine under the hood. He just had to have the HEMI.
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 2:06:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
It's better, but no reason to ditch your Gen 1.

Many years ago I worked at a Dodge dealership. A guy with a new-looking 5.9L '02 Ram came in to trade into a 5.7L HEMI '03 Ram. With depreciation and all the fees, he ended up paying about $12k for a few less miles and a slightly more powerful engine under the hood. He just had to have the HEMI.
View Quote

I respectfully disagree.
If you're happy w/your 1.0 Shield, then by all means keep it.
However, the improvements in the Plus are, IMHO, significant enough for me to trade up (YMMV), and in the current market it's not costing me much to do so.

Tomac
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 11:16:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I respectfully disagree.
If you're happy w/your 1.0 Shield, then by all means keep it.
However, the improvements in the Plus are, IMHO, significant enough for me to trade up (YMMV), and in the current market it's not costing me much to do so.

Tomac
View Quote

When I can get Apex trigger parts for the Plus I may get one.

I think the Gen 1 trigger sucks. So I Apexed mine. I use grip tape and was never really concerned about capacity. But more capacity in the same package is better.

Link Posted: 4/1/2021 10:19:05 AM EDT
[#13]
I have a Shield 1.0 and a Shield 2.0.  Both purchased on sale deals with rebates, so I paid very little for them.  I have a lot of Shield mags I acquired over the  years when they were on sale.  Both of my Shields have spent plenty of time at the range, and have been extremely reliable.  When it comes to carry guns, I'm pretty slow to change.  I take a lot of comfort in carrying a gun that has proven itself reliable over thousands of rounds.

I'm not about to dump them to pick up a ShleldPlus, and I'm not willing to pay the current panic prices on a ShieldPlus.

When prices settle down, I'll definitely be on the lookout for a Plus version.
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 1:16:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I have a Shield 1.0 and a Shield 2.0.  Both purchased on sale deals with rebates, so I paid very little for them.  I have a lot of Shield mags I acquired over the  years when they were on sale.  Both of my Shields have spent plenty of time at the range, and have been extremely reliable.  When it comes to carry guns, I'm pretty slow to change.  I take a lot of comfort in carrying a gun that has proven itself reliable over thousands of rounds.

I'm not about to dump them to pick up a ShleldPlus, and I'm not willing to pay the current panic prices on a ShieldPlus.

When prices settle down, I'll definitely be on the lookout for a Plus version.
View Quote

This ^

and in .40
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 12:54:41 AM EDT
[#15]
I have not yet installed that Apex trigger and duty/carry spring/sear kit but I did get the opportunity to shoot a Shield with aforementioned installed and WOW what a difference.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 9:22:34 AM EDT
[#16]
I have the Gen 1 and now the Plus. My Gen 1 is bone stock so I have no opinion on the Apex trigger but have read alot about them and considered it, but never did. Been shooting the Plus and have carried it a little since I just got it out of jail. So far there is nothing I don't like about this gun. The mag button, extra capacity, sights, and a trigger that makes me think I am shooting one of my 1911's. I can't not like this gun. I like it so much that my other handguns are getting jealous and I am going to have to move my Plus out of the safe because I am afraid they will do something to hurt my Plus.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 7:03:07 AM EDT
[#17]
My ex wife has my Shield 1.0. I miss it very much. It shoots great and is comfortable to carry. Plus I paid $199 for it. I loaned it to her so she could have protection for the house with her and our son. I own two P365XLs and one standard P365, G43X and a  G48. I also recently acquired to Springfield Hellcats a couple of weeks ago. I wasn’t aware that Smith and Wesson was coming out with a Plus so I traded a G21 for one two day ago.

Like the Gen 1, the plus feels amazing and I like that I now have a bigger capacity. And even with the seven and eight round mags, I didn’t feel undergunned.  I’m also going to another LGS tomorrow morning to trade an XL for another plus. I’m also going to swap one of the Hellcats for my Gen 1 shield with my ex wife. It really is one of my favorite carry pieces that fits my hand like a glove that I shoot better than most.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 7:06:34 AM EDT
[#18]
The big issue with the Shield Plus is the availability of magazines esp. the 13 rounder.

The MSRP on them is high enough as it is not paying Gunjoker prices.

I'd buy some mags first before buying the firearm.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 7:29:48 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 7:34:37 AM EDT
[#20]
249 OTD with 50 rebate. Gen1.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 8:22:25 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The big issue with the Shield Plus is the availability of magazines esp. the 13 rounder.

View Quote

That’s the hard part. But I’ll be patient. The Plus seems to be almost perfect. After paying P365 prices, P320 prices and HK P30 prices, the Plus mags won’t be so bad. I remember the good deals on the Gen 1 Shields for $8.99.

If I get another plus today, that’ll give me four total. I like to keep a minimum of ten mags for each gun.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 8:24:08 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

Im stopping by three of my local shops today, there is a good chance the larger one may have the 13 round mags. They just become a smith master certified dealer. If I do find some, I’ll let you know when I’m there.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 2:43:48 PM EDT
[#23]
I really like the Shield + but my old Gen 1 is still a great pistol. I would snag a few more for loaner pieces if we see those Salad day prices again on them someday.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 8:31:15 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

The Plus corrects 3 of the 4 problems I had w/my 1.0's: Trigger, grip texture & capacity (4th is a more easily usable slide release
View Quote

Agreed. Shot my Plus this week, outstanding improvement to the 1st gens.  Recoil was less than my 365.  When I got back from the range I sold my 365 to a friend.

The trigger on the Plus is very good, no need to throw money at Apex.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top