Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/9/2020 8:48:39 PM EDT
I escaped a situation with a dog today without shooting it. I know I could have killed it with my LCP II, but I would have preferred my Glock 43.

It's dawning on me that perhaps I don't need .380acp any longer since I don't have to go to work in an office.
Link Posted: 1/9/2020 9:15:51 PM EDT
[#1]
There's no replacement for shot placement.  
Link Posted: 1/9/2020 9:19:19 PM EDT
[#2]
.380 from a LCPII works fine with large dogs. At least from my personal experience. (Hornady Critical Defense)
Link Posted: 1/9/2020 9:19:39 PM EDT
[#3]
My dog encounter found me with a Glock 22 carried off body.

I couldn’t get to my big gun in time, luckily it worked out without violence- but I now never carry off body and certainly not in a bag attached to a stroller.

So, yeah, 9mm minimum and keep it somewhere it can be helpful.
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 12:17:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Good call.
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 9:04:24 AM EDT
[#5]
I might be alone here but the .380 isn’t the part that bothers me. The trough sights on the lap bring the suck. That’s the part that would get me. The lcp is soo small it is a detriment IMO.
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 12:00:12 PM EDT
[#6]
From personal experience, I don't consider 9MM sufficient for wild or rabid animals.

ETA: 124gr Hydra-Shok from G19.
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 2:07:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
124gr Hydra-Shok
View Quote
That may have been the problem right there.
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 3:06:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Encountering any legitimate threat should have you doubting a 380 with sights that are minimal at best. IMHO.
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 5:29:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

There's no replacement for shot placement.  
View Quote
Back when I was a teenager (1980s) I killed a dog with a Baby Browning (.25acp)- one shot to the dome and I left him dead in the road.  Over the years I've killed a handful of dogs* and anything other than fmj works about the same in my experience- they're not particularly hard to kill and will typically run off if wounded (obviously not ideal).  One of the worst performing I've seen was a Sgt shooting one of those mangy Iraqi mutts with his Beretta; 9mm ball ammo just zips right through them.  I carry a S&W 642 most of the time when I'm hiking; 130gr Gold Dot or 158gr lswc both work fine.

*Used to do a lot of surveying work with my dad then did environmental work for a while and we have a bit of a feral dog problem in SC.  Other than water moccasins, dogs are the only critters I've had any issues with in the woods.
Link Posted: 1/11/2020 10:01:30 PM EDT
[#10]
My story.

Just remember, when it happens, if it happens, it will happen faster than anything you've ever experienced.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 1:34:29 AM EDT
[#11]
No shots fired

My experience last summer.

No way would i carry anything less than a .38+p or 9mm
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 11:36:24 PM EDT
[#12]
I once found myself in the middle of the road with a huge rotweiller (sp) holding my ankle and a 442-2 in my hand.

Felt really undergunned considering the hoodrat Mexicans that owned that dog were drinking beer on the porch watching all this go down.

I'm thinking I can smoke the dog with the 1st round but a gunfight in the barrio in FtWorth with 4 rounds of 38 ain't gonna end well.

Glock 17 was back on the belt that evening and was carried every day at work after.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top