Link Posted: 5/18/2023 10:39:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Sold out?
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 8:12:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Every time I check their website, they are out of all things 5.7x28mm.
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 8:36:20 AM EDT
[#6]
This thread won't even make it 1 page OP

no one cares about 5.7 but you  

just being honest
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 10:47:10 AM EDT
[#7]
I care about 5.7x28.  It is one of the most intriguing cartridges to come along in decades.

I have a question.  I just received an e-mail from Fort Scott munitions.  They have a 40 grain “tumble upon impact” bullet.

Has any one loaded these in 5.7x28?  If so do they tumble upon impact?

Seems like they might be an interesting option.  Not cheap, but nothing seems cheap these days.
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 11:26:10 AM EDT
[#8]

I need them to make more of these. I’m almost out
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 6:01:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 12:45:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I care about 5.7x28.  It is one of the most intriguing cartridges to come along in decades.

I have a question.  I just received an e-mail from Fort Scott munitions.  They have a 40 grain "tumble upon impact" bullet.

Has any one loaded these in 5.7x28?  If so do they tumble upon impact?

Seems like they might be an interesting option.  Not cheap, but nothing seems cheap these days.
View Quote
I have been loading them. I should do a review at somepoint. The downside is they are 40gr and will max out at about 1800-1900 fps in the pistol. since they are solids they are going to be shorter.
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 12:24:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Is a niche caliber, but works for me.  Almost no recoil, little chance of over penetration.  High capacity.  Power wise, much more than 380acp, not too far off 9mm.   Is a bit of a controversial caliber, not so much for what it can actually do, but because for a lot of years it was both over-hyped, and under estimated (" mini 5.56 in a handgun" v. "just a 22mag").   Seems to be taking off with new platforms coming to market.  I find it very capable, and fun.

Buffman has a lot of content on various loads.  There is also a relatively new youtuber with no nonsense 57 content, Shasta Bean.  He has tests of Elite’s reloads, and many other factory and hand-loads.   Claimed velocity of  Elite's "S4" was 2500fps.  It preformed under 2250 fps.  That's maybe 50-75 ft faster than factory new SS198 from FN,   Have never seen any independent testing where Elite's stuff gets near a claimed velocity.   Those reloads ( almost $3 a round) are also around triple the cost of factory new FN 198LF---for what looks like only a 2-3 percent increase in velocity.  

Link Posted: 5/24/2023 9:16:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
This thread won't even make it 1 page OP

no one cares about 5.7 but you  

just being honest
View Quote

I love my 5.7 guns. Love talking about the ammo too.
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 10:45:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Is a niche caliber, but works for me.  Almost no recoil, little chance of over penetration.  High capacity.  Power wise, much more than 380acp, not too far off 9mm.   Is a bit of a controversial caliber, not so much for what it can actually do, but because for a lot of years it was both over-hyped, and under estimated (" mini 5.56 in a handgun" v. "just a 22mag").   Seems to be taking off with new platforms coming to market.  I find it very capable, and fun.

Buffman has a lot of content on various loads.  There is also a relatively new youtuber with no nonsense 57 content, Shasta Bean.  He has tests of Elite's reloads, and many other factory and hand-loads.   Claimed velocity of  Elite's "S4" was 2500fps.  It preformed under 2250 fps.  That's maybe 50-75 ft faster than factory new SS198 from FN,   Have never seen any independent testing where Elite's stuff gets near a claimed velocity.   Those reloads ( almost $3 a round) are also around triple the cost of factory new FN 198LF---for what looks like only a 2-3 percent increase in velocity.  

View Quote
I routinely hit 2375-2400 fps with S4.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 1:25:34 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I love my 5.7 guns. Love talking about the ammo too.
View Quote

Just some general info on actual performance reported of various load-- out of a pistol:
FN
190LF—AP-restricted sales from FN to LE. Very difficult and expensive to obtain.  “The load.”  
FN 195lf- 27 gr.  About 2075-2125 velocity (considerable variances based on date of lot). “Hollow point.” Does not expand, tumbles.
FN 198—same as 195, loaded about 50-100 ft faster. Red Box marked for LE sales only.  Not super common, but not too difficult to obtain.
FN 197SR—40 gr, plinker.  1650-maybe 1700 ft.  V-max hollow point, but does not expand much if at all.

AE –Plinker only.  Many report issues with lack of crimp (glued). Usually the lowest cost round.

Fiocchi—like AE only packed in a Fiocchi branded box.  They do have a sub load though.

AAC:  2 loads.  Their version of the FN SS197 v-maxis about 50-75 ft faster.  Some expansion. Slightly cheaper. Best value plinker?

Gold Dot:  40 gr.-looked good upon release, has since been downloaded considerably, from 1850ft to 1735ft.  Hotter loads were manufactured in 2020.

Smaller loaders:

Vanguard

Black Dragon Fang-- 34 gr.  Has been downloaded since they began using their own brass.  Original well over 2000 ft.  Current about 1950.  Using version of old trident bullet design.  Preforms well through Level 3A.
Monumental 36 gr—about 2000ft. Spitzer boat tail.  Fragmenting petals.

R&R Weapons:  R37X- 37 gr, Velocity -1950-2025.  Good expansion. Level 3a penetration. They make other loads.  No info on those…..

Elite Ammo— do not use this brand for a number of reasons.

FN loads 190, 195lf and 198 in Belgium.  Fiocchi loads AE, Gold Dot, as well as SS197sr for FN in the USA (FN supplies brass to Fiocchi).  AAC is new to the game.  Makes its own brass.  Vanguard and R&R also have recently begun to use their own brass.  
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 8:27:44 AM EDT
[#15]
Elite Ammo— do not use this brand for a number of reasons.
View Quote

Yet no reasons are listed. Why is that?  
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 10:25:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Am I allowed to post links (upon links, upon links) to other sites here?  I ask because OP has intimated what I take to be a banning of me for calling this one-man reloading operation’s claims into question in the “Why 5.7” thread.  “You’re awfully close to a CoC #6 violation.”  Haven’t seen a list of CoCs here.  Are there COCs here that would prevent full discussion?
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 11:31:18 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Am I allowed to post links (upon links, upon links) to other sites here?  I ask because OP has intimated what I take to be a banning of me for calling this one-man reloading operation's claims into question in the "Why 5.7" thread.  "You're awfully close to a CoC #6 violation."  Haven't seen a list of CoCs here.  Are there COCs here that would prevent full discussion?
View Quote
COC #6 is no attacking/insulting another member in order to illicit a negative response from them. If you're posting links that aren't insulting the OP, and they are relevant to the discussion then have at it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top