http://www.edbrown.com/tradeup/
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 2:50:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 8:18:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Anyone wanna bet that they lowball on the trade in value?  Typical Brown MO
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 8:21:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Whenever I hear people talk about high end 1911s, it is usually Nighthawk, Wilson and Guncrafter.

Are Browns on par with the above?
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 8:35:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Brown builds a good looking 1911.

I had a bad experience with a Kobra Karry but I would maybe consider a 5" if he built on a carbon steel frame and slide.
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 11:43:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Whenever I hear people talk about high end 1911s, it is usually Nighthawk, Wilson and Guncrafter.

View Quote
The ones I have shot and handled (including the SF in my safe) have all been very nice pistols. I'd say they fit right between Les Baer and the ones you mentioned - which is right where they are priced.
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 2:23:22 PM EDT
[#6]
They're good guns but Brown has a deserved reputation for being an ass in the customer service field.

I don't think he makes anything that I would trade this in for.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 7:25:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote
Oh, hell yes. I own their Kobra Carry LW & it's an incredibly built gun.

All the other upper tier mfgrs hate Ed Brown because he's an ass, but his shop makes damn fine guns.
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 8:49:38 PM EDT
[#8]
So be sure to follow up in this thread with any trade offers.
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 9:27:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
They're good guns but Brown has a deserved reputation for being an ass in the customer service field.

I don't think he makes anything that I would trade this in for.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/9714/image-448601.JPG
View Quote
That is a beautiful gun.
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 9:29:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Oh, hell yes. I own their Kobra Carry LW & it's an incredibly built gun.

All the other upper tier mfgrs hate Ed Brown because he's an ass, but his shop makes damn fine guns.
View Quote
An ass to his customers?

Treating people who buy your 3k pistols like shit doesn't sound like someone I would want to do business with.
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 9:37:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

An ass to his customers?

Treating people who buy your 3k pistols like shit doesn't sound like someone I would want to do business with.
View Quote
From all accounts, he's just a cantankerous old man. His staff/kid(s) finally convinced him to not go to the SHOT show anymore.  

Having never met the man, I can only surmise he thought his product spoke for itself (it does) & if you didn't like it, you could go screw yourself. He wasn't the only one of his generation whom thought that, IMO.

His 1911 parts are unsurpassed for quality by all accounts as well.
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 9:45:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 10:34:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
From all accounts, he's just a cantankerous old man. His staff/kid(s) finally convinced him to not go to the SHOT show anymore.  

Having never met the man, I can only surmise he thought his product spoke for itself (it does) & if you didn't like it, you could go screw yourself. He wasn't the only one of his generation whom thought that, IMO.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

An ass to his customers?

His FCG parts are good, probably EDM'd from one of  the same couple places that makes all the others.

His thumb safeties are straight up junk.  I used  to use 'em and they would regularly have defects that made them unusable.  I never bought another one after EGW started making their wide safety.  The grip safeties aren't much better.

My Kobra Karry had a soft slide and peened the slide stop notch after a few slide locks.  Ed wouldn't send me a shipping label, so I did hardness readings and sent him the report that showed the Rockwell C around 30 and he basically told me get lost.

I know he's not involved with the company like that anymore, so I would cautiously give them another chance.

I always suspected they didn't use the exact same parts on their builds as they sold through Brownells and places like that.

Those experiences were well over ten years ago and they may be different now.
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 11:47:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Those experiences were well over ten years ago and they may be different now.
View Quote
He’s got a new face to CS, but honestly there is no difference than when ED ran the shop. ALL the Browns are complete A-holes.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 7:17:59 PM EDT
[#15]
IMHO they are equal to Wilson and above Les Bauer.

Nighthawk is still ”the new kid on the block.”
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 7:26:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Is Brown more of an ass than Les Baer?
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 7:46:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Is Brown more of an ass than Les Baer?
View Quote
Never spoke with Les but Ed was nice enough when I spoke with him at a SHOT Show.
The infamous “Mark” was not.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 7:53:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
There's nothing new kid about Nighthawk.  The guys who built Wilsons back when Wilsons involved hand fitting are Nighthawk.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 8:38:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
There's nothing new kid about Nighthawk.  The guys who built Wilsons back when Wilsons involved hand fitting are Nighthawk.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh I’m very well aware about that, but in my eyes they are still the new kids, again, IMHO, it takes years to “earn” a reputation.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top