Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/18/2020 2:06:28 AM EDT
I have two Brownings Hi Powers and a FM Hi Power. Thinking about carrying a Hi Power again for a change. Anyone else carrying a Hi Power?

Holster is a Milt Sparks Watch 6 in horsehide

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 6:51:21 AM EDT
[#1]
I carry a hi power or lightweight commander regularly
Link Posted: 1/19/2020 1:12:32 AM EDT
[#2]
I carry an FEG.  I used to carry my Browning until it was dropped from the catalog.  I bought the FEG and had some custom work done like sights, trigger and safety.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/19/2020 10:37:21 AM EDT
[#3]
I've carried mine, mainly when I go to the range so I don't have to stuff it in a range bag :-)

Generally I have my 3913 on me. I'm less concerned about capacity than concealability and comfort which the S&W 3913 excels at.
Link Posted: 1/19/2020 1:56:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I've carried mine, mainly when I go to the range so I don't have to stuff it in a range bag :-)

Generally I have my 3913 on me. I'm less concerned about capacity than concealability and comfort which the S&W 3913 excels at.
View Quote
Before I bought my BHP in the early 90's I was undecided between the Browning and the 3913.  The Browning won and I thought I would get a 3913 later which I never did.  Now I am looking for a nice used one and they are going for what they cost new or more back then.  I always thought they were the best of the mid size 9's.
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 3:21:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Before I bought my BHP in the early 90's I was undecided between the Browning and the 3913.  The Browning won and I thought I would get a 3913 later which I never did.  Now I am looking for a nice used one and they are going for what they cost new or more back then.  I always thought they were the best of the mid size 9's.
View Quote
The 3913 carries nicely, short, thin, comparatively light. They'll never be any sort of competition gun but for what they are they're hard to beat.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 2:48:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Since I put away my J frame last year, I've been carrying my HiPower daily.  I do have a tenancy to take it off more when driving and such (goes in center console)  than I did my j frame.  But whatevs.  It's my carry gun.  I gotta go shoot.

Yours are super nice looking BWood!!  Beautiful!

Link Posted: 1/23/2020 6:55:28 PM EDT
[#7]
I love mine

Carried in a Milt Sparks SSII.

The problem I ran into...one day I did the math and realized that it would be a horrible thing to lose to an evidence locker if it ever came to that...so I stopped carrying it
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 11:23:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 11:56:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Still carry mine from time to time.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 8:01:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I love mine

Carried in a Milt Sparks SSII.

The problem I ran into...one day I did the math and realized that it would be a horrible thing to lose to an evidence locker if it ever came to that...so I stopped carrying it
View Quote
What a thought that is... less remorse for a scumbag than the gun :-)

Get a Tisas, bring it up to speed to your liking and carry that, I think you'll like it.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 9:52:23 PM EDT
[#11]
I carry mine on special occasions
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 10:10:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
What a thought that is... less remorse for a scumbag than the gun :-)

Get a Tisas, bring it up to speed to your liking and carry that, I think you'll like it.
View Quote
I'm a little leery of Tisas; I've heard of some wildly out of spec parts (like extractors, etc)...but, it's not a bad idea to be honest. I've seen that Cylinder & Slide will work on them, so there's hope...
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 12:10:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I'm a little leery of Tisas; I've heard of some wildly out of spec parts (like extractors, etc)...but, it's not a bad idea to be honest. I've seen that Cylinder & Slide will work on them, so there's hope...
View Quote
I have always wanted a stainless Hi-Power.  I am a fair hand at working on them.  Kinda thinking of building up on of the stainless Tisas.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 10:45:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
Other than my safety being hard to engage, once I got it to the range I have put a few hundred rounds through it with only one after market mag problem. The gun runs flawlessly with Browning and Tisas mags.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 12:36:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
See my thread about my Tisas experience.
If you get one put enough flawless rounds through it to be satisfied before you change ANYTHING.  LKCI / Tisas will screw you on warranty otherwise.
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 10:17:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Carry mine very often.
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 10:20:52 PM EDT
[#17]
My first pistol was a parkerized BHP bought in 1986.  I still have it.
Pulled it out of the safe two years ago.
Still a great shooter.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 6:12:20 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

See my thread about my Tisas experience.
If you get one put enough flawless rounds through it to be satisfied before you change ANYTHING.  LKCI / Tisas will screw you on warranty otherwise.
View Quote
Thanks for that, I went and read your post, most unfortunate. I guess that's a bit of advice too. If you have to make a warranty claim, before sending it back make sure any modifications done were put back in. It's illogical that they would deny an unrelated warranty claim but it's not actually an unusual business practice.

To be fair, their warranty statement on page 24 and covered again on page 25 pretty much covers their arses, the gun should have been returned directly to you.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 8:08:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Nice FEG's pop up on the E&E all the time.  There is an unfired one on there now.  They make nice base guns for basic custom street guns.  Mine runs very well and my 'smith never touched the feed ramp.  It runs Federal 9BP's all day long.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 8:17:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Love some HP
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 9:11:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I carry an FEG.  I used to carry my Browning until it was dropped from the catalog.  I bought the FEG and had some custom work done like sights, trigger and safety.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/138987/IMG_20191225_210942_jpg-1240246.JPG
View Quote
@steve88GT .....what knife is that? I gotta get one!
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 12:10:55 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

@steve88GT .....what knife is that? I gotta get one!
View Quote
@JarHead94 It is a Kizlyar Supreme Whisper.  Made in Russia.  They are available stateside.

The steel is D2. It rusts easily if you don't keep it oiled and can be hard to sharpen.

That's my second pocket clip. It will catch on stuff more than others I have noticed.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 4:37:24 PM EDT
[#23]
I forgot about my FM Hi Power.  Swapped out the safety and the grips

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 10:19:54 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By DamnYank:

See my thread about my Tisas experience. 
If you get one put enough flawless rounds through it to be satisfied before you change ANYTHING.  LKCI / Tisas will screw you on warranty otherwise.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DamnYank:
Originally Posted By Evil_Ed:

I'm a little leery of Tisas; I've heard of some wildly out of spec parts (like extractors, etc)...but, it's not a bad idea to be honest. I've seen that Cylinder & Slide will work on them, so there's hope...

See my thread about my Tisas experience. 
If you get one put enough flawless rounds through it to be satisfied before you change ANYTHING.  LKCI / Tisas will screw you on warranty otherwise.

What he said, my Tisa busted the extractor at the 3000 round mark and LKCI screwed me over on the warrenty. I put a FN extractor in it but it's been a POS ever since.

I actually picked up 2 FEG's since my Tisa crapped out on me. 1 I plan on tuning up and dropping a SFS kit into and using it as a carry gun to replace the FN Hi Power SFS I was using for that.

3 FN/Browning HP's, 2 of the 3 FEG's I own and the POS Tisa. That I might send to BHSS for service, maybe they can get it working.

Another FEG I bought last month. I haven't been able to test fire it yet due to the Kung Flu but I'm thinking it'll be the one that gets the SFS kit and new sights
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 4:17:35 AM EDT
[#25]
I don't carry a BHP as much as I use to. Early 90's Novak Spec Ops when Wickman was in charge of HP work.

Link Posted: 5/7/2020 7:53:12 PM EDT
[#26]
yep...

Link Posted: 5/9/2020 6:40:37 PM EDT
[#27]

@asiparks what grips are those? They look thin.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 12:59:05 PM EDT
[#28]
They're Simonich Gunner grips, recommended by Mr Garthwaite as part of the build.
They are slim:

I think VZ makes them these days
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 7:25:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Good looking Argentine.  I wish I had bought a FM years ago.

Glad I did grab BHP and FEG.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 7:44:49 PM EDT
[#30]
.40 and a 9mm

Link Posted: 6/25/2020 6:10:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Still carry mine from time to time.
View Quote
Same.
Link Posted: 7/7/2020 3:51:37 PM EDT
[#32]
The Hi Power always pointed so well for me.
The surplus Mark IIIs have me interested.

How does the Hi Power carry compared to say a 229 ?
Link Posted: 7/7/2020 6:52:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

It carries like a 1911 - slim. Not quite as slim as a 1911 (the grip is a tiny bit wider I think, but not by much..depending on what kind of stocks you have on it), but close. A 229 is a wide brick compared to it.
Link Posted: 7/7/2020 8:57:16 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

For an all steel gun, they are surprisingly light.  Though the grip frame is thicker side to side than a 1911 it is shorter from front to back which seems to even it out compared to its big brother.

The BHP was my first CCW and I still do carry it occasionally.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top