Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/5/2021 7:32:09 PM EDT
Want to ask that question here. I don't think it has affected me but I wanted to ask others opinions.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 7:46:07 PM EDT
[#1]
It can. I had some students for whom it was a real problem and for some it was an easy fix.  We would have them basically lay there head on their dominate arm so everything lined up correctly.  That was a long time ago and I’m sure there are different ways of doing it now.

For me if I’m shooting with my left hand (I’m right eye dominate) I just close my right eye and use my left.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 7:48:35 PM EDT
[#2]
I believe that only thing that affects POI is your sights.  Where ever your sights are when that primer is hit is right where the bullet is going.  Your eyes have nothing to do with it.  You can shoot with your eyes closed and the bullet is still going where your sights are are.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 7:49:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It can. I had some students for whom it was a real problem and for some it was an easy fix.  We would have them basically lay there head on their dominate arm so everything lined up correctly.  That was a long time ago and I’m sure there are different ways of doing it now.

For me if I’m shooting with my left hand (I’m right eye dominate) I just close my right eye and use my left.
View Quote

Sorry, I wasn't clear. If you keep you head straight without moving it one way or the other and shoot using your cross eye dominant eye, will that affect POI?
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 8:06:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I believe that only thing that affects POI is your sights.  Where ever your sights are when that primer is hit is right where the bullet is going.  Your eyes have nothing to do with it.  You can shoot with your eyes closed and the bullet is still going where your sights are are.
View Quote

What about wind?
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 8:13:30 PM EDT
[#5]
As long as it’s consistent, it shouldn’t affect POI.

One of the pistol competitions that I shoot requires strong and support hand strings at both 25 and 50 yards. I shoot with my dominant eye, no matter which hand I’m using.

With that said, many shooters push shots to the opposite side when they switch hands. But, it’s the hands causing the shift, not the eye.

Threads are better with pictures.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 8:20:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Do you want to know:

If one shoulders a long gun sighted in with the dominate eye on their strong side, then switches to the opposite shoulder and eye, does it affect the POI?  No, not that I have found in training and competition .

I saw a beautiful woman get her face beat up because of cross eye dominance firing a 12 ga. shotgun while shooting slugs.  Right handed, left eye dominant made het lean her head over the comb of the stock in an attempt to aim.  10 rounds later swollen bloody nose and right eye swollen shut, black eye!  Now that really did change the POI due to a$$ whoopin' she was receiving!  She got cleaned up, tape over the left eye piece on her shooting glasses, re shot that course of fire and qualified.

No difference with handguns, however I keep 99% of my shooting under 50 meters.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 8:20:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

What about wind?
View Quote

Just talking about which eye you use to line up the sights.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 8:46:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Have taught several right handed, but left eye dominate people to shoot hand guns.  Minor shift of head to align the dominant left eye.   Bullets go where the sights are aligned by whichever eye is used.  In your question’s case, hold and pull hand gun trigger with right hand and aim with left eye.

With a rifle or shotgun, the person has more of a challenge.  Shoulder the long gun on the left shoulder, aim with the left eye, pull the trigger with the left hand, and the right hand holds the fore stock.  Simply mirror image of right hand using right eye.  Bullet still goes where the sights are aligned.

Eye dominance quickly overcomes hand dominance and the people learned easily.

[The instructor that let the woman above shoot right handed with her head over the stock to use her left eye is a jerk.]

Link Posted: 1/5/2021 8:51:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Have taught several right handed, but left eye dominate people to shoot hand guns.  Minor shift of head and bullets go where the sights are aligned by whichever eye is used.  In that case, pull trigger with right hand and aim with left eye.

With a rifle or shotgun, the person has more of a challenge.  Shoulder the long gun on the left shoulder, aim with the left eye, pull the trigger with the left hand, and the right hand holds the fore stock.  Simply mirror image of right hand using right eye.  Bullet still goes where the sights are aligned.

Eye dominance quickly overcomes hand dominance and the people learned easily.

View Quote

I have absolutely hell with handguns but with rifles I have no issues.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 8:54:42 PM EDT
[#10]
I can have problems. Im left handed an blind in my left eye also.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 8:55:03 PM EDT
[#11]
KCode98:  Close your right eye and aim with your left.  Dirt simple.

JPPaul:  Sorry for that.  Pick a stance, isosceles mainly, that lets you easily align the left hand held gun with two hands in front of and aligned with your right eye.  A simple strong hold with both elbows firmly locked type isosceles makes it easy.  Not the moderner bent arm stuff.

Handgun:  Guy below is right handed using left dominant eye.  You barely tell the minor head shift to align the left eye.  The MP9 2.0 3.6” was right on from the factory sight installation.

Link Posted: 1/5/2021 9:09:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
KCode98:  Close your right eye and aim with your left.  Dirt simple.

View Quote

Ok so what you are describing is what I'm talking about! Does that affect accuracy? I say "no" but I don't know if I know or not. Basically with both eyes open, when I throw up my pistol and aim, what you are saying is what I do. Make sense? (fak that sounded confusing)
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 9:14:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Eye>>>rear sight>>>front sight>>>barrel>>>bullet>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>target.

No direct effect.   Gun does not care.  The over all stance/balance/position changes may in a MINOR way change the zero, but that is body mechanics and bone alignment. It will be consistent, once you do the same thing twice in a row.

If your off eye was closed, it would be easier to aim.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 8:00:51 AM EDT
[#14]
I have no problem hitting my targets. Im right handed and left eye dominate.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 8:41:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Left-handed, right-eye dominant.
I learned to shoot long guns right-handed.

I shoot pistols left-handed.  My stance moves my right eye into position behind the sights.  Isoceles doesn't really work for me.
I end up with a straight left arm, a bent right elbow, and a slight extension of my left wrist, which is obviously detrimental to controlling recoil - which is probably why I'm a decent rifle shot, and not so good at handguns.

I should have learned to shoot pistols right-handed.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 9:33:37 AM EDT
[#16]
I shoot right handed and am left eye dominant. Ive always used my right non-dominant eye to shoot since it was how I was taught since I was littl, as well as in the Army.  I've always been a mediocre shot, good enough but not great.

Within the last year I've been dealing with a degenerative vision issue in my right eye. So I crossed over and started shooting with my dominant left eye (still shooting with my right hand). It took a while to get used to it, but now I do it without thinking and I've noticed my groupings have tightened up a lot and I'm shooting handguns better than ever before.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 9:37:30 PM EDT
[#17]
No, it doesn't matter.  It's old school fudd lore.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 9:46:42 PM EDT
[#18]
I had to tweak my HG sights a little right if I use them.  If I just point & shoot seems to have little impact.
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 4:04:50 PM EDT
[#19]
No doesn't affect POI at all for me, and shouldn't for anyone else.  I'm a right hander with left eye dominancy, learned to shoot with both eyes open and in the isosceles, or modified weaver stance, I just turned my head slightly to use left eye for lining up front-rear sight.  If I squint my left, the right eye will take over and force me to re-align front-rear sight.  A totally different story with long gun however, a bit more work is required to fire from right shoulder/right eye but POI shouldn't matter which shoulder as long as I have the sight line up properly.
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 1:51:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Red Dot????
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 7:57:38 PM EDT
[#21]
I have no idea. I'm right-handed and left eye dominant and I hit what I'm aiming at.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 7:17:52 AM EDT
[#22]

You can work through it.  I have to lay my head a little closer to my strong side.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 8:10:00 AM EDT
[#23]
I'm cross eye dominant.  I didn't even know until I got to my first LE academy and the instructors asked me about it.  I qualified the first day, so they told me to just keep doing what I was doing.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 2:09:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I'm cross eye dominant.  I didn't even know until I got to my first LE academy and the instructors asked me about it.  I qualified the first day, so they told me to just keep doing what I was doing.
View Quote

In the rel world performance wins.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top