Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/21/2018 11:47:33 PM EDT
My Wilson CQB Elite is my first bushingless  bull barrel and the only 1911 I am having any issues with. Does this setup require more lube?

I just took it down and lubed it generously, then went back after racking dozens of times, lubed again, racked again.

I hope to get out this weekend to see if it the extra lube makes a difference.

Feeding issues show up after a few magazines and it gets hot, slide lock issues start with the very first mag.

Symptoms:
Inconsistent slide lock on empty mag after last shot (Thumb is not doing it)
Sometimes when it does lock back removing the empty mag will send the slide forward
Last round in the magazine (when pistol is hot) frequently needs help in sending the slide all the way forward
I have to hit the back of the slide to send it forward occasionally in the middle of a mag as well
Changing magazines to different manufacturers to include brand new Wilsons does not make a difference

Oils tried are FP-10 and Pro Shot Zero Friction. I am not a grease guy but I am open minded.

Pistol has about 200 rounds through it after sending it back to Wilson for feeding issues.

I am absolutely not a 1911 expert but I have quite a few  1911s all cleaned and lubed the same and this is the only one with issues.
Link Posted: 9/22/2018 12:02:28 AM EDT
[#1]
No.  A bull barrel shouldn't need anything different than a normal barrel.
Link Posted: 9/22/2018 7:00:55 AM EDT
[#2]
You can go to a smear of grease on the front of the barrel where the slide rubs it and on the lugs, but that wron't fix the problems you are having.

Wilson claims to test fire like 200 rounds with differant  ammo before shipping their guns out. I think it's B.S.
Problems like yours should not get past the test fire guy.

Send the gun back
Link Posted: 9/22/2018 1:41:06 PM EDT
[#3]
5" gun?  Ramped or unramped barrel?  What projectile type?   Ammo brand?
Link Posted: 9/22/2018 4:49:56 PM EDT
[#4]
5 inch unramped
Last range session was Winchester white box 230 fmj
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 7:43:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Went to the range again. In the first 100 rounds there were 6 feeding failures that required me to hit the back of the slide.

Out came the Shooters Choice grease.

There was a small area of wear at the 12 oclock on the end of the bull barrel, but the heaviest wear was at the 4 and 8 oclock from where the slide stopped at lock back moving forward. I applied grease there, and shot a few mags. I inspected the wear areas where the grease was removed and applied again to the 4 and 8 oclock. I did that lightly every few mags for the next 100 rounds.

I then shot another 100 rounds with no more grease added. After the first application of grease on the barrel I did not have a single malfunction in 200 rounds, and the slide locked back every magazine except one that I marked for future range sessions.

I had been applying oil in the same areas I applied grease but the grease did the trick. It is really tight in that area and was getting very hot. Maybe the grease held up better to the heat.
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 9:21:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Sounds like you're on the right track.

A tight-fitting bull barrel at the muzzle may be dragged forward with the slide as it returns to battery, presenting a larger gap for the round to jump when it comes out of the magazine.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top