Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/17/2019 4:58:05 AM EDT
I think para quit making warthogs, right? I can't find them anywhere, plus I've read a lot of bad reviews.
I've been waiting forever for the Rock island warrior, Wich is the same size as the warthog, but they seem like they're never going to release it.
I'm about read to just buy an officers sized gun and be done with it.
Are there any other super small double stack 1911s out there?
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 8:14:41 AM EDT
[#1]
just a comment after shooting/playing with .45s for 25 years...when 1911 slides get much shorter than the Officers Model length, the forward locking lugs (even the single lug)  greatly limited the allowable length of recoil spring compression, compared to the more modern pistols that lock into the ejection port with the same slide/barrel length.. this short operation length necessitated multiple recoil springs, and resulted in an increase of problems...
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 8:36:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Not super small or 1911 exactly but worth a look
https://dawsonprecision.com/guns/in-stock-pistols/
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 9:50:09 AM EDT
[#3]
STI VIP size or similar. You can get 120mm mags (officers length) and about a 3" barrel. Bunch of different calibers and options. Grip is plastic so it's lighter, plus you can throw in longer mags that really up your capacity.

You can also get a 4" STI and throw on a VIP grip if you're so inclined, making a double stack CCO.

STI is quality but you will be paying for it.
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 10:20:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
STI VIP size or similar. You can get 120mm mags (officers length) and about a 3" barrel. Bunch of different calibers and options. Grip is plastic so it's lighter, plus you can throw in longer mags that really up your capacity.

You can also get a 4" STI and throw on a VIP grip if you're so inclined, making a double stack CCO.

STI is quality but you will be paying for it.
View Quote
I thought they quit making the vip?

CZ makes the RAMI, but in 9 or 40.  Cocked and locked hammer fired gun.
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 11:48:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I thought they quit making the vip?

CZ makes the RAMI, but in 9 or 40.  Cocked and locked hammer fired gun.
View Quote
as far as I know they did, but with the renaming of all their stuff IDK what's comparable anymore. I still see VIPs for sale and they would lend themselves to a build better than a para warthawg. I had one of those. fired 0 times. it felt terrible! so I sold it it off immediately.
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 2:39:52 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm mostly interested in the frame size, not so much the barrel length.
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 9:32:14 PM EDT
[#7]
iirc an LGS has a used Para Wart Hog that looked fairly clean.  Might be able to take a closer look at it tomorrow.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 8:28:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Detonics CombatMaster.  
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 8:45:39 AM EDT
[#9]
You don’t want a para warthog.  Very unreliable.  Well, they will go bang on the first shot every time.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 7:19:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
You don't want a para warthog.  Very unreliable.  Well, they will go bang on the first shot every time.
View Quote
My warthog was pretty reliable, but then again I didn't shoot it all that much.  I put a few hundred through it and just carried it.  Then I put it in the safe and didnt touch it for years, I remember having a hard time finding anyone who wanted it.  I don't remember actually selling it, so maybe I traded it...I can't remember.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 7:43:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Full disclosure, I never owned one.  A guy in my pistol league had one and couldn’t get it to run.  I shot a full size para, so he figured I knew all about them, lol.   Mine was trouble free, his was anything but.   We tore it apart a couple times, tweaked the extractor, tried 5 different mags and that many types of ammo.    Interesting enough, it ran best on my reloads, 200 gr LSWC.

He gave up, sent it to para, got it back 3 months later . Still wouldn’t run right.  IDK what happened after that.
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 4:16:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Glock 30?

Owned 3. As reliable as they get.

Llama makes a warthog size gun. Minimax. There's one on gunbroker now for $329.
Top Top