Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/2/2018 10:40:28 AM EDT
I typically stick with 124 he. 9mm rounds for all competition because it’s smooth and knocks down steel where 115 gr. does not always knock down steel. I’ll use 115 for paper punching at the range.

With salad days right now would you care what you stocked up on or does it strictly come down to price?
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 10:58:59 AM EDT
[#1]
I tend to stick with 124gr ball for training/practice as it is the same weight as my duty load (124gr Gold Dot), but I'd never turn my back on reasonably priced 115gr or 147gr ball...
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 11:04:22 AM EDT
[#2]
For plinking, paper and steel competition use in a G34.4 with TBRC comp, have standardized on 147 and when that stash runs out, switching to 150 lipstick.  The 147 is also like shooting a .22LR when used in my 9mm carbine.

Fat and slow, it's like a baby 45 ACP.

https://www.federalpremium.com/products/handgun/american-eagle/american-eagle-handgun/aae9fp

https://www.federalpremium.com/products/handgun/syntech/syntech-action-pistol/ae9sjap1

Edit - Don't have any PF rules to meet
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 3:39:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Whatever is cheapest, typically 115. I like Blazer 115 Aluminum or brass.

I don't think a steel plate will miss the 9 grains or know the difference...
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 5:23:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't think a steel plate will miss the 9 grains or know the difference...
View Quote
I definitely makes a difference. A lot of steel targets will take multiple hits from a 115 gr. without falling or require a good hit in certain spots where a 124 or higher grain will typically drop steel on the first shot allowing you to move on without wasting time or more rounds.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 5:42:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Right now the only ammo I'm buying is the Winchester NATO 9mm from Palmetto. You cant beat it for $9 a box shipped.

In the past, I have bought whatever  brass cased 9mm I could get the best deal on. Usually there are 3-4 offerings at about the same price, I pick whatever I think is hottest/best quality at the time. Most of my shooting is on paper or static steel so it doesn't matter all that much. I have quite a  bit of Winchester White Box, Fiocchi, Sellier & Bellot-the old sealed primer stuff, Magtech etc...if price is equal or only nominally higher I buy the heavier grain ammo.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 9:47:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Whatever is cheapest, typically 115. I like Blazer 115 Aluminum or brass.
View Quote
Same here. Ive got a bunch of Blazer 115. My Glocks have always seemed to like it, brass and aluminum.

I like the Federal aluminum too.

Sitting on the fence now for a case from PSA and cant decide between the Blazer or Winchester, both same price and free shipping at 20+ boxes.

Hmmm...
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 11:04:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Same here. Ive got a bunch of Blazer 115. My Glocks have always seemed to like it, brass and aluminum.

I like the Federal aluminum too.

Sitting on the fence now for a case from PSA and cant decide between the Blazer or Winchester, both same price and free shipping at 20+ boxes.

Hmmm...
View Quote
The Winchester is hotter and runs better in my experience. Also, it's not a plated bullet which the Blazers are. I just much prefer the Winchester.
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 8:17:32 PM EDT
[#8]
I practice with whatever is cheapest generally.
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 9:32:18 PM EDT
[#9]
I don't really see the difference on steel between a 115 and 124. Maybe with plus p or NATO.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top