Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/4/2022 12:43:29 PM EDT
I suspect most ammo has Berdan primers?

I was sent some Hornady .365" Makarov 9mm hollow points by mistake years ago, I guess I will list them in EE and find out.
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 1:50:00 PM EDT
[#1]
I'll be loading some in the very near future. I've cast and PC some .365 bullets. I also cut down nickle 9mm brass. No other reason than to be able to do it.
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 3:17:22 PM EDT
[#2]
When I bought my Mak from a friend he included all the reloading stuff, dies was well.  Haven't bothered to reload for it yet but I suspect I will someday.
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 3:53:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By borderpatrol:
I suspect most ammo has Berdan primers?

I was sent some Hornady .365" Makarov 9mm hollow points by mistake years ago, I guess I will list them in EE and find out.
View Quote

I used to, my makarovs were great but I got rid of them to consolidate calibers. I’m sure someone can use them in todays market.
Link Posted: 3/5/2022 11:45:23 PM EDT
[#4]
I have reloaded some with 9x18 brass and some with cut down 9x19 brass
Link Posted: 3/6/2022 12:24:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Gatorade96] [#5]
I have been loading for it since 92’ Starline brass.

Were those Hornady XTP hollow points? I loaded a bunch of those but I think most PMs don’t like that shape. My PA-63 does fine with them. The PMs use those round hollow points like the Fiocchi.
Link Posted: 3/7/2022 2:08:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Gatorade96:
I have been loading for it since 92’ Starline brass.

Were those Hornady XTP hollow points? I loaded a bunch of those but I think most PMs don’t like that shape. My PA-63 does fine with them. The PMs use those round hollow points like the Fiocchi.
View Quote

Yeah XTP 95 grain .365" hollow points. I listed them on EE.
Link Posted: 3/7/2022 2:16:56 PM EDT
[#7]
yes

I setup a friend years ago who wanted to handload 9mak

it’s more like .380acp than 9mm luger
Link Posted: 3/24/2022 1:48:10 PM EDT
[#8]
I have been reloading for it since I acquired my first P-64 about 5 years ago.

Grabbed a bunch of Red Army Elite 9x18 brass cased and Boxer primed ammo when it was cheap. The cases are great for reloading and some have been cycled 10 times or more. Most other brands cannot be reloaded after cycling through a P-64. They end up with severe bulges that send them to the scrap bucket. When I need more cases, fired 9mm Luger/Parabellum are easy to convert simply by sizing and trimming to length.

Remember to change your shell holder when using converted cases or you could get one stuck in a die. Ask me how I know.

One other tip, be very careful when seating those stubby little bullets. It is very easy to seat them crooked.

These days, I rarely use any factory ammunition as I load for everything in my inventory except 7.62x39. Right now, surplus is just a little cheaper than what I can make.
Link Posted: 3/25/2022 6:45:45 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a couple hundred pieces of 9x18 brass, and some proper-sized bullets, and Hornady reloading dies.

But other than setting up the dies and making one dummy round, I've never reloaded any 9x18.

Steel cased Russian Silver Bear is (was) so cheap, and it functioned perfectly and reliably in my P-64, and was impressively accurate.

So I bought a case of it.
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 12:59:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WTex] [#10]
Enjoying loading 9x18 for my Mak, only thing I've noticed is like Exterminator said its easy to get the bullet started crooked.  Midway runs a sale on plated bullets of the right diameter that make it cheap to reload.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 11:51:23 PM EDT
[#11]
I did for a bit, but it wasn't worth it to continue. I trimmed down and resized 9x19 brass.

I should probably get rid of the 50 rounds or so I have left so I never accidentally stick it in a 9mm mag.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top