Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/11/2020 10:58:08 PM EDT
Shooting my MIL's .38 Spl. Smith&Wesson with her yesterday. The factory target rounds had noticeable muzzle/cylinder gap flash.

It bothered her, and it got me wondering if the modern self defense loads have flash retardant in the powder. Any idea?
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 12:53:23 AM EDT
[#1]
I believe so yes. Very little flash in HST or Gold Dot short barrel.
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 1:07:34 AM EDT
[#2]
HST seems to have less flash than the wwb i use for practice so i believe they do use lower flash powder or more of the powder burns after ignition / faster burning powders.
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 2:24:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Modern duty/defense loads from major manufacturers are all made with low/no flash powder.
When you go to smaller companies you may lose that option.  The low/no flash powders tend to be proprietary blends.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 7:14:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Gold Dot Short barrel is pretty tame flash wise out of a 1.75" Model 36.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 3:27:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Modern duty/defense loads from major manufacturers are all made with low/no flash powder.
When you go to smaller companies you may lose that option.  The low/no flash powders tend to be proprietary blends.
View Quote

And cost more to manufacture.
There are many chemical that can be used to reduce powder flash.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top