Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/16/2022 4:35:11 PM EDT
I currently have a Mk II with a Pac-Lite 4.5” threaded upper with Volquartsen match trigger, Target grips, a red dot and suppressor.

I’ve got a $500 gift certificate to my LGS and I’ve been eyeing a threaded MK IV Target they have in stock.

Is the simplified takedown and updated controls on type Mk IV worth it over my current pistol?

My Mk II
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/16/2022 4:40:43 PM EDT
[#1]
In my opinion, no.

It takes 30 seconds to field strip and reassemble a MK III.

I never understood the complication.

Older one looks better too. Of course that's subjective at best.
Link Posted: 2/16/2022 4:55:08 PM EDT
[#2]
I bought the Mk IV Target and like it, but unless I needed 2 of essentially the same gun, I wouldn't. Variety is the spice of life. Isn't there something else out there that you're really itching for?
Link Posted: 2/16/2022 6:36:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I bought the Mk IV Target and like it, but unless I needed 2 of essentially the same gun, I wouldn't. Variety is the spice of life. Isn't there something else out there that you're really itching for?
View Quote

Not really big into variety when it comes to guns. For example, I’ve got five Glock 19s, five other Glocks and only own one other centerfire handgun.
Link Posted: 2/16/2022 7:42:00 PM EDT
[#4]
I have to ask.... what did you do with your old upper for your MKII? I have a 1, 2 and 3, I want to cut one down to 2.5" but I have had these guns for years and I don't want to cut any of these down. I would love to buy your old dust collecting upper.
Link Posted: 2/16/2022 7:44:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Only thing I have to say about getting a Mk IV when you already have a Mk II is don't forget the Mk IV has the magazine safety, and the Mk IV magazines and Mk II magazines are NOT interchangeable, even though they look very, very similar. I don't think I would like having the inevitable problem of putting the wrong magazine in the wrong gun and then wondering why it's not feeding correctly.
Link Posted: 2/16/2022 9:10:54 PM EDT
[#6]
I own two 1980's Mark I bull barrel target pistols.
I really only shoot one.

It is super accurate and the action is light and crisp.
Factory 100%

The take down is a learned process. It is not that difficult but definitely not a 'field strip'.

Anyway,your MK2 set up is killer!!

I think the MK4 would pale to that.

Save the money for something worthwhile!!
Link Posted: 2/16/2022 9:30:18 PM EDT
[#7]
I shoot a 22/45 MKIV Lite for Steel Challenge... while I can take down my SW M41, I'd prefer not to... the take down access the MKIV gives for cleaning the chamber, bolt face and feed ramp helps with reliability... I do have Volquartsen trigger group upgrade along with VQ adjustable recoil spring, firing pin and extractor... this mates with a TandemKross Striplin thumb and safety paddle...

I shoot about 1000 rounds a month...it is an entirely different platform, for a different shooting game than the M41 or High Standard... I don't really need the accuracy, but the reliability... for me it was a good choice...

Volquartsen has take off 5 1/2" bull barrels for $40 plus shipping... they are serialized so need to be transferred on a 4473, so my MKIV is set up for optics as well as fixed sights

regards
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 7:52:22 AM EDT
[#8]
I would do the Mark IV.
The MK III is stupid having to insert mag to dismantle/assemble.

The Ruger Mark XX is similar to the Ruger 10/22 in that many people own multiple.

Get the Mark IV, but make it different via the grip and/or upper.
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 8:41:59 AM EDT
[#9]
At one point the loaded chamber indicator was suspected as a reliability issue , don't know if that proved to be the truth in the long run.

I have long felt the takedown "issue" is a non-issue and I would rather have the earlier guns to avoid the magazine safety and different magazines.

I am thinking the OP is going to seriously rework whatever gun he gets so why not get a early(anything up to a mark III) gun and not have to deal with two different magazines ?

Yeah , some folks want One of each gun but I fall into the group that when I find a gun I like I want several of slightly different versions . I own 4 or so of the Ruger marks and 5+ 10/22s for example.

Owning guns has little to do with need and a whole lot to do with want , go with whatever floats your boat !
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 2:03:36 AM EDT
[#10]
I'd buy a MKIII or MKIV for the push-button magazine release, but not for the simplified take down. As a matter of fact, I did. At one time I had 4 MKIIIs.  On the MKIII, the loaded chamber indicator can be easily removed, left out, or replaced with a solid metal "filler," and the mag disconnect can also easily be removed.  

My favorite Ruger MK pistol was a 6 7/8" stainless, tapered barrel, Target MKII Target that I shouldn't have sold soon after buying a MKIII.  It looked and balanced even better than my 6 7/8" MKIII Hunter or 6 7/8" MKIII Target, but I prefer the push-button mag release, am biased towards stainless steel, and a tapered, long barreled, MKIII target was never offered.

My current favorite MK is a MKIII stainless Hunter with a 4.5" factory barrel and VQ trigger and sear. If I were to buy one now, it would be a MKIV stainless model of sorts with the stainless steel frame; probably the bull barreled Target, or the slap-sided barrel Competition, since they haven't reintroduced a tapered barrel Target model.

If you have the discretionary income, just buy what you want.  Life's too short to skimp on something so small that can make you happier.  If you find you're no longer shooting, or admiring, the model you currently own, sell it, but only after you have the next one in hand.

Cheers
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top