Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/11/2024 8:31:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: cplnorton3]
*Before I start, I did get permission from Larry Vickers to post the pictures from his book and also of our correspondence. He was a super nice guy and wanted just like myself, to get more info on these pistols out there.

I will present this in several posts.

This is a Range Grade that came out in Feb 2023 in Round 3. It is a Rock Island NM frame with a WWII era Colt slide. The front strap has had the checkering increased to 20LPI. The hammer and grip safety are made by Ed Brown. The trigger is Videki. The barrel and thumb safety are made by Wilson. The sights are Novak with the front roll pinned in place.

Here are some pictures of the pistol.

Here is the FOIA of the Pistol

https://i.imgur.com/7QVSNCqh.jpghttps://imgur.com/7QVSNCq
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 8:40:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: cplnorton3] [#1]
I'm not sure what I am doing wrong, but my pics are not uploading.  They show perfect when I hit "preview."  But when I post it the links are broken.

Anyone have a guide on here on how to load pics correcty? I am using IMGUR.

Link Posted: 5/11/2024 8:41:37 AM EDT
[#2]
That’s amazing. Many thanks for posting it. One of those would be near the top of my unrealistic/grail list. I did pick up a MAC JSOC though as I knew I had no chance to get the real deal.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 8:55:15 AM EDT
[#3]
I guess the pics must be coming thru, so I will continue.

Here is probably the Gold Standard for the Delta M1911A1 pistols. This one is in Larry Vicker's Book and if you don't have his series I highly recommend it. You can purchase it at this link.

https://www.vickersguide.com/purchase?category=Book

This is that pistol. Again I received permission to post this from Larry Vickers, from his book.

Here is the FOIA of this pistol.

Link Posted: 5/11/2024 8:59:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: cplnorton3] [#4]
I noticed when I started to compare the FOIA's between the two, there is a large potion of the FOIA on each that is identical. They both shipped to Concept Evaluation Support Agency in the same shipment in 1992. They also were in the same reconciliation's in 1995, 2003, & 2004. The only real different is the dates they were turned over to Anniston in 2005.

The Concept Evaluation Support Agency is in Kentucky and has a strong connection with anything Special Forces, and they worked on the Unit Pistols.

Now there are some early mentions of the Concept Evaluation Support Agency as the owner of my pistol in 1989, and 1990 for his, but I'm still researching that. I also have been researching the W81EEL & W15A9X as I believe more can be learned about these two codes. W15A9X I have seen detailed as Supply Fort Dix. But research on that all is still ongoing.

But this is my FOIA vs the Delta Pistol from Larry Vicker's book side by side for easy comparison. They are identical except for when they were turned over to Anniston.  But it's interestings if you compare the FOIAS more after they were turned over to Anniston, they ended up with all the same dates again, sometimes being scanned within in minutes of each other.   It appears even though they were turned over to Anniston at different times, they ended up being stored together.  

But here is the really important part of their actual service together.  

Link Posted: 5/11/2024 9:02:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Now even though the FOIAS on both of these pistols are basically the same, I have to say I'm probably most proud of this message below. I showed this all to Larry Vicker's asking him what his thoughts were. This is what he replied.

It's one thing to have a FOIA, but to have someone with a deep intimate knowledge of Delta pistols state this, that meant a lot to me. This is likely as close to an authentication as you could ever get, as a FOIA will never list Delta Service with OPSEC. Again Larry Vickers said I was allowed to post this.

Link Posted: 5/11/2024 9:09:20 AM EDT
[#6]
My hope by posting this (as was Larry Vickers) is it might bring to light some more coming out. If anyone by chance has one, please contact me. I will share what I have been able to find out about these if you also have one. I am trying to conduct a case study of them.

I have also been working on finding photographs of these pistols.

This was a display at the US Army Airborne & Special Operations Museum in Fayettville NC. From what I was told, these weapons were on loan from the Unit for a short term display but were returned to Ft Bragg (Ft Liberty). I was hoping to find out more on this pistol so I could study it, but unfortunately all I have are these pictures.

Here is my pistol vs the one in the Display.

Here are some more pics I've found too.

Link Posted: 5/11/2024 9:14:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Nice! Have you shot it yet!?
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 9:32:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DVCER] [#8]
You sure did your homework.  Good post, now a range report on yours.

I think Larry was a member here long ago.   He was not one to suffer fools so he moved on.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 9:45:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Great post and photos!
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 10:29:41 AM EDT
[#10]
I built an AK with Larry in Gonzales, LA three years ago, it was fun.

Good post.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 11:26:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Good info.  

Is anyone still making that rear sight?  Looks like Novak discontinued them.  These wouldn't be too hard to clone build.  My SA Loaded is almost already there.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 12:36:15 PM EDT
[#12]
I haven't shot it yet, but I plan to really soon.   My kids and I love to shoot M1911's so we are really excited to take it out.

Honestly how many companies make a pistol in this format makes me wonder how much of an influence these builds had on commercial companies back in the day.  

These were 1990's builds so they were probably pretty cutting edge at the time, and I wouldn't be surprised if the commercial companies heard about Delta builds and copied off them.

Link Posted: 5/11/2024 1:13:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By cplnorton3:
I haven't shot it yet, but I plan to really soon.   My kids and I love to shoot M1911's so we are really excited to take it out.

Honestly how many companies make a pistol in this format makes me wonder how much of an influence these builds had on commercial companies back in the day.  

These were 1990's builds so they were probably pretty cutting edge at the time, and I wouldn't be surprised if the commercial companies heard about Delta builds and copied off them.

View Quote

Chicken or egg? At the time, the "state of the art" modifications developed by custom gunsmiths for defensive/practical shooting competition like USPSA/IPSC and the budding training industry likely influenced the soldiers at Delta and the AMU who were gun guys and competition shooters themselves. Same with the pistols the FBI solicited for the HRT and regional SWAT teams. Those same custom modifications also influenced the commercial market to produce feature rich pistols as seen in Kimber's introduction of the Classic Custom 1911, which originally used Chip McCormick small parts, as well as the Springfield Armory Loaded models.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 2:10:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By SSeric02:

Chicken or egg? At the time, the "state of the art" modifications developed by custom gunsmiths for defensive/practical shooting competition like USPSA/IPSC and the budding training industry likely influenced the soldiers at Delta and the AMU who were gun guys and competition shooters themselves. Same with the pistols the FBI solicited for the HRT and regional SWAT teams. Those same custom modifications also influenced the commercial market to produce feature rich pistols as seen in Kimber's introduction of the Classic Custom 1911, which originally used Chip McCormick small parts, as well as the Springfield Armory Loaded models.
View Quote

This.  

In fact one of the SF guys I watched stated, they knew tactics, but brought in competition shooters to teach shooting fast and target transition.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 9:58:03 PM EDT
[#15]
That pistol is priceless. I would shoot the snot out of it and keep it forever.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:28:04 PM EDT
[#16]
So the CMP selected this pistol at random for you? Or you selected it somehow?
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 12:58:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 1:07:02 AM EDT
[#18]
Awesome snag,OP. Thank you for sharing
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 1:17:44 AM EDT
[#19]
Truly amazing!

Link Posted: 5/13/2024 2:02:19 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By CFII:
That pistol is priceless. I would shoot the snot out of it and keep it forever.
View Quote

I’d be real tempted to slap that bad boy on gunbroker with all the documentation and watch a bidding war pump it up to $50,000. I’d buy every gun I ever wanted afterwords and be content for life.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 2:26:15 AM EDT
[#21]
Insanely cool
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 9:15:07 AM EDT
[#22]
Are you the Cpl Norton from snipers hide?

I wonder how many of these got released. Talk about finding the golden egg.

I'd carry that everyday.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 10:25:00 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Tengo1:

I’d be real tempted to slap that bad boy on gunbroker with all the documentation and watch a bidding war pump it up to $50,000. I’d buy every gun I ever wanted afterwords and be content for life.
View Quote

I have no desire to sell it, and it would take a considerable life changing amount to even get me to entertain the thought of it.    But I think everyone is always curious what something they own that is extremely rare, what it is worth.

If would be fun almost to see what it would bring on Gunbroker or Rock Island Auctions.   If it would bring that much, that certainly would be tempting.  lol

Link Posted: 5/13/2024 11:00:06 AM EDT
[#24]
Wow, thats awesome.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 11:01:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: cplnorton3] [#25]
Originally Posted By 03RN:
Are you the Cpl Norton from snipers hide?

I wonder how many of these got released. Talk about finding the golden egg.

I'd carry that everyday.
View Quote

I am.  I had a cplnorton account here but I didn't log in for several years and now for some reason it won't let me log back on.  So I just started a new one.  

As far as how many have come out as range grades, I have been heavily involved in the research of these pistols coming out of the CMP.  So far, I know of 3 that have come out.  Two that were original as built, with all the markings and correct parts as detailed by the operators and armorers who built them.  The 3rd pistol all that remains is the frame.  The 3rd one does have a FOIA that matches mine and Vickers, but the parts on it definitely were changed after it's time in the Unit.    The 2nd pistol is an original pistol as built, and it's actually my favorite one, but the FOIA doesn't match the Vicker's pistol.  It looks like it was turned in around 1998, where this one above remained till 2005.   This one above is the only one that I am aware of that has come out that has all the original parts for the Unit and the FOIA matches Vickers.  

Now I am always on the look out for more that I might have missed.  So if you get one let me know and I would love to include you into the research of them.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 2:35:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 3:53:38 PM EDT
[#27]

I am.  I had a cplnorton account here but I didn't log in for several years and now for some reason it won't let me log back on.  So I just started a new one.  

As far as how many have come out as range grades, I have been heavily involved in the research of these pistols coming out of the CMP.  So far, I know of 3 that have come out.  Two that were original as built, with all the markings and correct parts as detailed by the operators and armorers who built them.  The 3rd pistol all that remains is the frame.  The 3rd one does have a FOIA that matches mine and Vickers, but the parts on it definitely were changed after it's time in the Unit.    The 2nd pistol is an original pistol as built, and it's actually my favorite one, but the FOIA doesn't match the Vicker's pistol.  It looks like it was turned in around 1998, where this one above remained till 2005.   This one above is the only one that I am aware of that has come out that has all the original parts for the Unit and the FOIA matches Vickers.  

Now I am always on the look out for more that I might have missed.  So if you get one let me know and I would love to include you into the research of them.
View Quote

You've got a former ISA gun too, right? Jealous/not definitely jealous.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 8:00:31 PM EDT
[#28]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

There's no such thing as ghosts.....
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 8:18:37 PM EDT
[#29]

Amazing

Link Posted: 5/14/2024 8:35:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Thanks OP. Your post made my day. Piece of history you have.

It wasn't anything in the least special, but I wish I had the plain-Jane GI 1911 I had in VN.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:11:43 PM EDT
[#31]
I’m following your posts on three different forums because of this gun. If I don’t get a Delta pistol in round 5, I’ll never stop crying!
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:19:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: USMCSGT0331] [#32]
I also have 1 of the 3 Delta 1911 pistols that are in private hands, and I think that this is the only one of these pistols with a Caspian slide! This is a legit custom pistol, with a build quality that will rival anytime from the best 1911 gunsmiths out there! It's a very interesting pistol.

Link Posted: 5/15/2024 9:54:49 AM EDT
[#33]
Ugh

Bravo
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 11:46:50 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By USMCSGT0331:
I also have 1 of the 3 Delta 1911 pistols that are in private hands, and I think that this is the only one of these pistols with a Caspian slide! This is a legit custom pistol, with a build quality that will rival anytime from the best 1911 gunsmiths out there! It's a very interesting pistol.

https://i.imgur.com/8xqrNK9.jpeg
https://i.imgur.com/E69ZX8H.jpeg
https://i.imgur.com/MkPB7y2.jpeg
https://i.imgur.com/4KBjbbF.jpeg
https://i.imgur.com/CAq6FlD.jpeg
View Quote

Nice! That's the pistol I was referring to above that cplnorton3 had posted pics/info of before.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 5:41:05 AM EDT
[#35]
If there was ever a need for a 'like button', this thread warrants one.

Awesome pistols OP.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 11:26:06 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By USMCSGT0331:

https://i.imgur.com/8xqrNK9.jpeg
https://i.imgur.com/E69ZX8H.jpeg
https://i.imgur.com/MkPB7y2.jpeg
https://i.imgur.com/4KBjbbF.jpeg
https://i.imgur.com/CAq6FlD.jpeg
View Quote

Very nice.  
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 2:49:14 AM EDT
[#37]
What are the chances the CMP figures out what they have and all future Delta 1911’s go straight to their auction site vs being offered as a range grade pistol?
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 4:14:57 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 6:13:56 AM EDT
[#39]
Pretty awesome piece. I'd have a custom display made for it.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 9:20:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: cplnorton3] [#40]
Originally Posted By Tengo1:
What are the chances the CMP figures out what they have and all future Delta 1911’s go straight to their auction site vs being offered as a range grade pistol?
View Quote

I have shown my research in much more detail to a very small group of people in a private study, than I have shown online.  A couple of them are very involved with the CMP M1911 program.   Otherwise, they know what these are now.  

They only received a handful like this several years back and they had an idea what they could be, but they weren't for sure.   But if by some chance anymore show up in future shipments, I don't have much doubt they will only go straight to auction.

If one of these hit the CMP auction, I cannot imagine how much it would sell for.  But I think it would be a huge amount.

Link Posted: 5/19/2024 10:55:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HoosierWick] [#41]
Curious about some of the variations seen across the known delta/unit pistols out there (CMP Range Grade, museum pieces, or otherwise)…

For example:
Some have “GI” recoil systems; others use a FLGR.
Ambi thumb safeties vs non-ambi
Magwell usage
Novak competition vs Bomar rear sight
Barrel (stainless vs carbon steel)
           (Kart; Wilson; Barsto)

Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 2:46:20 PM EDT
[#42]
Wow !!

What a great score from the CMP !!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top