Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/23/2020 9:10:39 PM EDT
Anyone seen this I was tinkering with a para p12 and realized the ambi safety for the lefty’s is dead just flopping around ?  WTF!!!

Anyone know of options for a p12?  Or what might’ve gone wrong? Or how to fix ?

Most of my guns don’t have ambi safety
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 10:42:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Where the 2 halves meet broke. Very common on lots of average-lessor quality ambi's.

I'm not intimately familiar with that particular model, so I don't know if its a standard 1911 safety or not.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 11:43:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Can you explain what you mean by "tinkering" with your 1911?

You can push the safety out with your finger on a 1911 and it is not difficult to do. Just put it back in if this is what you did. And make sure the retention/slide catch spring didn't fly out of it.

The only hard pin that is on a 1911 is the grip hammer housing/lanyard/magwell part. Also depending on if you have a series 70/80, there might be some more pins but on a series 70, it's pretty easy to get all the pins out with your hand. It's almost like a glock, where you can break down the entire gun ridiculously simple.

Otherwise if it is indeed broken, then unfortunately it is not a drop in part. Getting the same one might fit but chances are you might have to do minor fitting. Fitting is not terribly hard for the safety.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 10:02:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Can you explain what you mean by "tinkering" with your 1911?

You can push the safety out with your finger on a 1911 and it is not difficult to do. Just put it back in if this is what you did. And make sure the retention/slide catch spring didn't fly out of it.

The only hard pin that is on a 1911 is the grip hammer housing/lanyard/magwell part. Also depending on if you have a series 70/80, there might be some more pins but on a series 70, it's pretty easy to get all the pins out with your hand. It's almost like a glock, where you can break down the entire gun ridiculously simple.

Otherwise if it is indeed broken, then unfortunately it is not a drop in part. Getting the same one might fit but chances are you might have to do minor fitting. Fitting is not terribly hard for the safety.
View Quote

Just dissembling, cleaning, new recoil spring
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 10:03:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Is there any hope in trying to reform the metal to try and get the ambi safety to grip the standard safety ?  Or when it gets to this point is it the point beyond repair ?

I’m guessing gun is 25 years old ?
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 10:33:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Hard to tell without a picture. It sounds to me like it just fell out and all you need to do is put it back in. But I'm assuming you know it is broken but we'd have to see it. can you post a picture?
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 12:37:12 PM EDT
[#6]
My paras use standard 1911 safety’s.  Single or ambi.   They rarely drop in though, some fitting is needed.    It would be an easy fix to drop in a single side safety.

They are very easy to remove, you can google it easier than I can explain it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top