Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/8/2020 9:37:06 PM EDT
I have a hankering for a DA revolver in 4”.  Mainly just to have another .357.  I was tempted to go the Taurus route, but just don’t want to roll the dice.

This won’t be a heavy use gun, but I don’t want a guaranteed send-back to the manufacturer either.

I’ve read of some QC issues with Ruger, specifically revolvers.  Any worries on a current GP?
Link Posted: 1/9/2020 10:13:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Nope.  You can "read" about QC issues with every brand on the market.  Rugers work just fine.
Link Posted: 1/9/2020 11:27:43 AM EDT
[#2]
I’ve had a GP100 for over ten years.  This one is my 3rd one since I foolishly sold the other two many years earlier.  Getting a half lug one in a few weeks.

No company makes everything perfectly but Ruger always takes care of its customer.  And GP100 is one tough revolver.  Don’ t even bother thinking about Taurus anything.   But it’ s your choice.
Link Posted: 1/9/2020 7:52:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I have a hankering for a DA revolver in 4”.  Mainly just to have another .357.  I was tempted to go the Taurus route, but just don’t want to roll the dice.

This won’t be a heavy use gun, but I don’t want a guaranteed send-back to the manufacturer either.

I’ve read of some QC issues with Ruger, specifically revolvers.  Any worries on a current GP?
View Quote

Hopefully not. I own and shoot 3 Ruger revolvers that I've had zero issues with over the years (SP-101, GP-100 & Security Six). 2 years ago I talked my out of state brother into buying a GP-100 that were on sale at his local gun store. He ended up sending it back to Ruger after his first range session due to locking up problems. Ruger replaced the cylinder and other internal parts and paid for shipping. Revolver is now trouble free. It happens.....
Link Posted: 1/9/2020 10:34:53 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a few Ruger firearms.  
A 1994 GP100 4" which has been flawless.
A 2011 LCP which is great
A 2013 or so 10/22 takedown.  Only problem with that one is its finicky with ammo.

I love my GP100.
Link Posted: 1/9/2020 11:56:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Our 2019 GP-100 (10mm) has been flawless so far, and a real joy to shoot.
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 10:22:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've had a GP100 for over ten years.  This one is my 3rd one since I foolishly sold the other two many years earlier.  Getting a half lug one in a few weeks.

No company makes everything perfectly but Ruger always takes care of its customer.  And GP100 is one tough revolver.  Don' t even bother thinking about Taurus anything.   But it' s your choice.
View Quote
Same here, no idea how many rounds are through it but would guess well over 10k.  Nary an issue.

Also have a WC GP100 and LCR, would recommend them for anyone asking about buying.
Link Posted: 1/11/2020 2:42:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Ruger makes a great gun that can take the punishment some others cannot. I have a couple Ruger revolvers and they are top notch.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 10:52:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 12:21:04 PM EDT
[#9]
My 2018 SS GP100 is terrific in finish and function. It actually has a decent trigger too.

The Hogue factory grips sucked for me, but Altamont resolved that quickly and easily.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 12:36:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Seriously, spend the extra $100 and get the match champion.

Great finish, spectacular trigger worked by Ruger.

The cats ass of 357 magnums.
It will never need to be sent back.
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 8:04:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Forgot I have a blued one too. It is perfect in form and function as well.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/19/2020 2:50:58 AM EDT
[#12]
I am tempted to get the one in 10MM from CDNN.....$599
Link Posted: 1/19/2020 8:48:06 AM EDT
[#13]
The 10mm deal is pretty sweet. If you reload it is a great caliber to work with.
Link Posted: 1/19/2020 12:30:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
We jumped on that 10mm Match Champion when they lowered it to $650, so it's an even better deal now on a sweet shooter!
Link Posted: 1/19/2020 12:56:32 PM EDT
[#15]
I just picked this up yesterday

I've always been a 686 guy, but wanted to try one.

the 7 shot got some bad press when introduced a few years ago, because some brass rims would bind together.

I've got a large toolbag full of 357 handloads, and haven't found any that cause trouble.

I will do an ARFCOM report when I get time to shoot it.

Link Posted: 1/20/2020 5:10:54 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Seriously, spend the extra $100 and get the match champion.

Great finish, spectacular trigger worked by Ruger.

The cats ass of 357 magnums.
It will never need to be sent back.
View Quote
This. Mine puts a friends 686-1 to shame.
Link Posted: 1/20/2020 9:14:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 8:25:56 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
We jumped on that 10mm Match Champion when they lowered it to $650, so it's an even better deal now on a sweet shooter!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I got mine for $580 off GB. I think they are a great value for what you are getting. And it has also become one of, if not the most, favorite handguns I own.
Highly recommend it.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 8:35:34 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I just picked this up yesterday

I've always been a 686 guy, but wanted to try one.

the 7 shot got some bad press when introduced a few years ago, because some brass rims would bind together.

I've got a large toolbag full of 357 handloads, and haven't found any that cause trouble.

I will do an ARFCOM report when I get time to shoot it.

https://i.imgur.com/eHzCt7Z.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/KtCp6aH.jpg
View Quote
I didn't know they finally did a 7 shot.  Nice.  I've long thought they needed to do that with a revolver of this size.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 10:51:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I got mine for $580 off GB. I think they are a great value for what you are getting. And it has also become one of, if not the most, favorite handguns I own.
Highly recommend it.
View Quote
@80sgyrene, $580!!! auction? how long ago? I thought $619 was a good deal at grabagun.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 11:37:32 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote
Looking forward to a range report.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 11:13:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
@80sgyrene, $580!!! auction? how long ago? I thought $619 was a good deal at grabagun.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Highly recommend it.
About 9 months. Lucked out that a seller kept on relisting no reserve, and snagged one. I think I remember someone grabbing one for around $570.
Quite a few went for less than $600.
Mine has been %100 but I do have to use the TK .40 clips when shooting that caliber. Ruger clips have been totally reliable with 10mm, about 1 round each clip will not fire with .40. Ruger should redesign their clips to shoot both, and to hold the rounds more securely, imo.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 11:24:15 PM EDT
[#23]
If you are patient with Gunbroker you can find a deal.  I bought a 6-shot GP-100 .357 for $399 a couple months ago that way.  Even with $20 to ship it the thing was a steal.

Then I bought the Wolff spring pack for it and some fiber optic sights.  Gunsmith installed those, polished internals, and polished chambers.  Even with all of the parts and labor I am still under what a Match Champion would cost.

Dry fire shows the trigger MUCH improved now.

I will run it this week with an assortment of primers to verify that I haven’t lost the ability to ignite harder stuff.  Will report back.

ETA - function tested today and it ignited both CCI and Federal primers perfectly, even with the lightest springs.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 12:51:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
We've had it to the range 3 times now, and it's become my wife's favorite pistol already.
The DA isn't as smooth as our 66-2, although it's improving every time we use it.
The SA is already darned near as good as the 66, which is really saying something.
We also got the TK Custom thicker (.050") moon clips and their loader/unloader tools to shoot 40 S&W with it, and they work just as advertised.

The GP100 Match Champion is certainly a lot of pistol for the money right now.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 7:33:20 AM EDT
[#25]
Thanks again for all the input.  Looking daily to try and find that “right deal.”
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 7:43:16 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I’ve had a GP100 for over ten years.  This one is my 3rd one since I foolishly sold the other two many years earlier.  Getting a half lug one in a few weeks.

No company makes everything perfectly but Ruger always takes care of its customer.  And GP100 is one tough revolver.  Don’ t even bother thinking about Taurus anything.   But it’ s your choice.
View Quote
This. I bought a well used gp100 back in 2012 for almost nothing and it still functioned perfectly. The guy that owned prior to me carried it daily and it showed with the holster wear. That sucker was a tack driver at 10 yards. I wish I had never sold it.

Taurus does not hold a candle to Ruger in any way. I’ve owned both and Ruger will always get my money.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 8:48:00 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Thanks again for all the input.  Looking daily to try and find that “right deal.”
View Quote
$549 at grabagun

https://grabagun.com/ruger-gp100-357mag-4-hbbl-da-as-bl.html
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 12:32:54 AM EDT
[#28]
LGS is a major Ruger seller, gets a lot of their "demo" guns.
Revolvers used in shiws and sales calls.
Currently has a 6" GP100 nlued for $499.
Picked up a SP101 blued for $440 two weeks ago.
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 12:46:58 AM EDT
[#29]
I have a sp101 w/trigger kit. It’s great. Seriously thing about a gp100 in 10mm with the 3” bbl.
Also 44mag Blackhawk. Excellent firearm
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 9:17:40 PM EDT
[#30]
My most recent GP100 was manufactured in 2016.  It has handled many full power H110 loads and never misses a beat.  Granted it has never felt as tight and refined as say a S&W 686 but zero issues all the same.  I can't speak for any newer.
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 10:21:11 PM EDT
[#31]

Ruger GP100 4.2" 90 yard steel
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 1:03:24 PM EDT
[#32]
I just inherited a GP-100 .357 3inch barrel from an Uncle. I cant wait to shoot it and see how it compares to my S&W 28-2 6inch.
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 1:55:09 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I just inherited a GP-100 .357 3inch barrel from an Uncle. I cant wait to shoot it and see how it compares to my S&W 28-2 6inch.
View Quote

When will you get the chance?

Public range, or private property?
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 2:02:30 AM EDT
[#34]
I might see how busy the range is tomorrow at my LGS. I might take both.
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 7:48:18 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 7:48:41 PM EDT
[#36]
I’m in love with mine. I suck at shooting revolvers but when I do my part, it does it’s part.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 7:27:54 PM EDT
[#37]
Biggest regret was selling my GP100 Wiley Clapp.  Been trying to find one since.
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 10:12:41 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Biggest regret was selling my GP100 Wiley Clapp.  Been trying to find one since.
View Quote

I'm surprised you sold that.  I think seeing yours is what pushed me to buy mine.  It's one of my "never sell" guns.  There was a guy local to me who was selling one NIB about a month ago.  If I had the cash I would have bought it too but someone else took it home.

Hope you find another!
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 10:54:34 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I'm surprised you sold that.  I think seeing yours is what pushed me to buy mine.  It's one of my "never sell" guns.  There was a guy local to me who was selling one NIB about a month ago.  If I had the cash I would have bought it too but someone else took it home.

Hope you find another!
View Quote

Needed money more than guns when health went to hell several years ago. Getting back on my feet and hoping to find another one though. If it comes down to it, I’ll settle for the matte black, but would really love another bead blasted stainless.

Might have a line on a new old stock one, just debating if I want to spend my Trump bucks on it. Being responsible vs something I might not get another shot at
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 2:02:49 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I'm in love with mine. I suck at shooting revolvers but when I do my part, it does it's part.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/100831/102C8CB7-5537-4865-8529-FB0C1FEAEF42_jpe-1372568.JPG
View Quote
I think the 4" match champion is the best GP100 they've ever built, but that's just my opinion.

There are very few revolvers I want these days that Ruger doesn't make, and if they come out with one before I make my purchases, I'll buy Ruger without hesitation.  And if I didn't already have my S&W L-frame, I'd buy a GP100 Match Champion without a moment's hesitation.
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 4:16:04 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Needed money more than guns when health went to hell several years ago. Getting back on my feet and hoping to find another one though. If it comes down to it, I’ll settle for the matte black, but would really love another bead blasted stainless.

Might have a line on a new old stock one, just debating if I want to spend my Trump bucks on it. Being responsible vs something I might not get another shot at
View Quote

Quite a few on Gunbroker.  Generally $800 and up.  

Love mine, carry it frequently.
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 6:29:44 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Quite a few on Gunbroker.  Generally $800 and up.  

Love mine, carry it frequently.
View Quote

A huge chunk of those are the new 10mm model.  If I wasn’t dead set on .357 (to pair up with a rifle to run suppressed) I’d snag one in a heartbeat.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 6:26:15 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

I can understand that.  I have the same issue.  Wouldn't be so bad if I didn't have to go every single month.  

I hope you're able to score another and your health improves! I'm hesitant to carry mine just because it would be difficult and expensive to replace so it's a fun time range gun for now.  One of the black ones would be a great carry gun that I wouldn't have to worry about.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 8:58:28 PM EDT
[#44]
Bought mine about 5 years ago, a 4.2" blued model and everything about it screams quality.  It's accurate, feels like a piece of precision engineering with a great trigger both SA and DA.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 10:22:47 PM EDT
[#45]
Anyone seen the new Talo Match Champion GP100 yet?!?

Fiber optic/tritium front sight, full lug barrel, rubber Hogue grip. The front sight also uses the standard mounting system, which really opens it up for other aftermarket options.

Here.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 10:57:32 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By VAhasnowaves:
Anyone seen the new Talo Match Champion GP100 yet?!?

Fiber optic/tritium front sight, full lug barrel, rubber Hogue grip. The front sight also uses the standard mounting system, which really opens it up for other aftermarket options. 

Here. 
View Quote

I like my 1771 better

7 shot
retro grips
fiber front, standard, older style dovetail

https://ruger.com/products/gp100/specSheets/1771.html

Ruger GP100 4.2" 90 yard steel
Link Posted: 6/26/2020 12:32:32 PM EDT
[#47]
I have the 5" GP100, absolutely love it. Balances like the 4" but longer sight radius and better muzzle velocity, without the muzzle heavy feel of the 6".
Link Posted: 7/10/2020 3:19:00 PM EDT
[#48]
I liked my 7 shot go 100 but it is currently in for service with rim binding which is a common issue.  Will be 2 weeks come Monday since they recieved it.  Kind of expected it might be a little while because of covid.  Will update on what happens when I hear from them
Link Posted: 7/12/2020 5:43:49 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I liked my 7 shot go 100 but it is currently in for service with rim binding which is a common issue.  Will be 2 weeks come Monday since they recieved it.  Kind of expected it might be a little while because of covid.  Will update on what happens when I hear from them
View Quote

I sent my 7 shot in for the same thing about a few weeks ago.  Week after they got it they emailed saying it was not fixable and they wanted to swap it with the same model.  I don't know if there was some sort of change they did to fix it, but I doubt it.  It just doesn't seem like there is enough room to make it work.  If you ask nicely they will swap it for a 6 shot.  I asked for a blued 6 in 6 shot was which they said ok to and told me it should be about 2 weeks for it to ship out.  It's been two weeks so it should be coming pretty soon.  Has anyone from Ruger emailed you at all about the gun?

ETA: When my gun worked it shot great.  For .357 the only brand I got to work consistently was Remington.  Few other brands it binded like a motherfucker, worst by far was PMC which ofcourse I have a ton of.
Link Posted: 7/12/2020 11:16:54 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I sent my 7 shot in for the same thing about a few weeks ago.  Week after they got it they emailed saying it was not fixable and they wanted to swap it with the same model.  I don't know if there was some sort of change they did to fix it, but I doubt it.  It just doesn't seem like there is enough room to make it work.  If you ask nicely they will swap it for a 6 shot.  I asked for a blued 6 in 6 shot was which they said ok to and told me it should be about 2 weeks for it to ship out.  It's been two weeks so it should be coming pretty soon.  Has anyone from Ruger emailed you at all about the gun?

ETA: When my gun worked it shot great.  For .357 the only brand I got to work consistently was Remington.  Few other brands it binded like a motherfucker, worst by far was PMC which ofcourse I have a ton of.
View Quote

Mine did it with geco 357 and blazer 38 special just decided that it was enough to get it fixed/replaced.  They sent a email saying it was received but no word yet on any fix or replacement
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top