Seems silly.

Yes, I know this isn't GD.
Link Posted: 8/20/2022 11:28:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:  Seems silly.

Yes, I know this isn't GD.
View Quote

Idle thought I had in the middle of the night.  Thinking about it now, it's plenty long enough & strong enough, but the top strap & center pin would have to be raised, and the hammer lengthened.

A 3-shot slug gun might be decent bear medicine.
Link Posted: 8/20/2022 11:45:55 AM EDT
[#3]
I think you'd be better off with a howdah
Link Posted: 8/20/2022 11:52:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:  I think you'd be better off with a howdah
View Quote

Oh, absolutely, or a Glock 40.  Just had an idle thought this morning that these mini-shells are short enough to fit in all sorts of things.
Link Posted: 8/20/2022 7:49:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Oh, absolutely, or a Glock 40.  Just had an idle thought this morning that these mini-shells are short enough to fit in all sorts of things.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  I think you'd be better off with a howdah

Seems like something Taurus would make
Link Posted: 8/20/2022 7:52:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Four shot 20 gauge Judge.   Yes I’m drinking
Link Posted: 8/20/2022 8:01:41 PM EDT
[#7]
I opted to go the super shorty route. Naturally, smoothbore handgun = AOW.
Link Posted: 8/20/2022 9:36:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

They made a 28 ga.  ATF told em they couldn't bring it in.
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 6:10:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
I think the cartridge diameter is more of the practical concern than the cartridge length, as that will dictate the frame side due to cylinder diameter.
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 6:15:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:  I think the cartridge diameter is more of the practical concern than the cartridge length, as that will dictate the frame side due to cylinder diameter.
View Quote

I was thinking you could do staggered cylinders w/ a curved freebore on at least one cylinder to squeeze it in there.  Couldn't use slugs but shot should work.  

That would mean you'd need to load firing pin extensions/base plugs into the other two cylinders for the firing pin to reach the primer & to support the base of the shell.

Yeah, I don't really think it would work, but entertaining to think about.
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 6:20:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That was a cool gun. I always wanted to see what a legit .410 shotgun pistol would do but nobody wants to do the AOW thing because they wouldn't sell. 28 would be super cool.
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 6:22:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

That was a cool gun. I always wanted to see what a legit .410 shotgun pistol would do but nobody wants to do the AOW thing because they wouldn't sell. 28 would be super cool.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:  Four shot 20 gauge Judge.   Yes I’m drinking

Take the .410 Mossberg Shockwave, get stamp, cut it down.  Probably more fun w/ a rifled bbl in .45 Colt, though.
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 6:29:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Got my attention
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 7:08:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Take the .410 Mossberg Shockwave, get stamp, cut it down.  Probably more fun w/ a rifled bbl in .45 Colt, though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:  Four shot 20 gauge Judge.   Yes I’m drinking

Nah I've already got legit shorty shotguns. I want a smoothbore Revolver. Something that might actually pattern well with shot.
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 7:17:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:  Nah I've already got legit shorty shotguns. I want a smoothbore Revolver. Something that might actually pattern well with shot.
View Quote

Form 1 Judge, replace the bbl?  I'd like to get a Judge & have the cylinders cut for .45 ACP & moon clips.
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 7:22:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Form 1 Judge, replace the bbl?  I'd like to get a Judge & have the cylinders cut for .45 ACP & moon clips.
View Quote

Why not just get the Governor it's already cut for clips if I remember right. I'll never own a Taurus if I can help it.
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 7:24:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Giant mateba style with barrel at the 6 o'clock cylinder position...

Having something that looks like it belongs in Hellboy would sell.  Make it absurd for sake of being absurd and make barrel rifled for minislugs
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 7:28:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Why not just get the Governor it's already cut for clips if I remember right. I'll never own a Taurus if I can help it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  Form 1 Judge, replace the bbl?  I'd like to get a Judge & have the cylinders cut for .45 ACP & moon clips.

The Governor's a 6 shot w/ a Hillary Hole.  If I'm shooting at snakes I want the best DA I can get, so I want the lightest cylinder I can have, a 2.5" 5 shot.

My brother had one of their .357s cut down, I think to 5".  Other than the shoddy gunsmithing work, I think he likes the gun.  Taurus has produced some turkeys, but generally their copied designs have worked decently and their G2/G3 series seems to do well, given it's designed around a SIG P226 magazine.

If you prefer  the Governor, then Form 1 that & put a longer smoothbore bbl on it.

Looking at the Governor, it's a scandium frame.  I want no part of a lightweight frame past mild .38 wadcutters.
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 7:51:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Taurus has produced some turkeys, but generally their copied designs have worked decently and their G2/G3 series seems to do well, given it's designed around a SIG P226 magazine.
View Quote
Every Taurus I've owned or shot has been a complete POS.  Even their revolvers.  Only unreliable revolver I've ever seen was a Taurus.  The hand was jacked up and wouldn't reliably advance the cylinder.  And that was from the factory.  Even the ones that were reliable weren't even pie plate accurate.
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 7:52:45 PM EDT
[#20]
I don't really want one and I would want it to be steel. It's been years since I've pulled the trigger on one so maybe they are better but that certainly did not use to be the case. I'd want a steel frame gun regardless if I were to go down this imaginary road. If the law wasn't so dumb I'd already have short shotgun barrels for my Encore.
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 9:25:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Intriguingly, shotshells are ideal for a Nagant revolver action.  
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 9:38:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Intriguingly, shotshells are ideal for a Nagant revolver action.  
View Quote
Get one round a little too long and it'll tie the action up.  Brass shot shells would work better I'd think.
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 9:50:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Get one round a little too long and it'll tie the action up.  Brass shot shells would work better I'd think.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  Intriguingly, shotshells are ideal for a Nagant revolver action.  

True.  I'd like to see a suppressed revolver for .38 SPL wadcutters.  Knowing how bad the trigger pull was on the DA Nagants, the juice is not worth the squeeze, but neat to think about.
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 10:20:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

True.  I'd like to see a suppressed revolver for .38 SPL wadcutters.  Knowing how bad the trigger pull was on the DA Nagants, the juice is not worth the squeeze, but neat to think about.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It'd be easier to just set cylinder gap to .002 and not worry about it than try to come up with a gas seal.  Sure you'll get a little pop, but no worse than port pop on a semi auto.
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 10:50:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

It'd be easier to just set cylinder gap to .002 and not worry about it than try to come up with a gas seal.  Sure you'll get a little pop, but no worse than port pop on a semi auto.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh, much.  But while a suppressed Dan Wesson is cool, a bespoke Nagant in .38 Special Wadcutter would be ridiculously awesome.
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 1:40:17 PM EDT
[#26]
You’d end up with something that looked like the Hellboy Good Samaritan:

Link Posted: 8/22/2022 4:27:32 PM EDT
[#27]
I'm good w/ that.  Better snake medicine than a judge, and ridiculous range gun.
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 7:38:20 PM EDT
[#28]
And actually I remembered the Russians have been doing it for a bit, but with five shells:

https://modernfirearms.net/en/shotguns/russia-shotguns/mc-255-eng/
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 7:51:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:  And actually I remembered the Russians have been doing it for a bit, but with five shells:

https://modernfirearms.net/userfiles/images/shotgun/Rus/1419157614.jpg

https://modernfirearms.net/en/shotguns/russia-shotguns/mc-255-eng/
View Quote

That's pretty awesome!
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 7:57:51 PM EDT
[#30]
It's the type of idea that's so rediculous and or stupid it comes back around to being awesome.

16 ga might be closer to not being an anvil with a grip
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 8:40:20 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:  It's the type of idea that's so rediculous and or stupid it comes back around to being awesome.

16 ga might be closer to not being an anvil with a grip
View Quote

12 ga mini-shells are cute little numbers w/ less throw, so should have less recoil than full house 12 ga.
Link Posted: 8/27/2022 9:57:03 PM EDT
[#32]
I would imagine it'd be pretty easy to pay your money to the king for a stamp then have the barrel of a Judge/Governor honed smooth but that's still only .410.  I wonder if you wanted to do a 12ga with a revolving cylinder if they'd try to classify it as a DD like whatever retarded (lack of) logic they used on the old Street Sweepers.

I've thought about something similar but with the possibility of it being a DD, I thought about making it as a back powder gun.  Something like a Schoefield since pressures would be lower than a smokeless powder charge, maybe four shot, that you could drop a loaded cylinder in, cap the nipples (because you'd have to be nuts to carry a capped cylinder despite Clint doing it in Pale Rider- fumble it and boom) and be ready to fire.
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 9:54:55 PM EDT
[#33]
If one were inclined to turn a Judge/Governor into an AOW, it would probably be possible to source an appropriate .38/.357 barrel and bore it out.  I'd presume that the frame threads match other models.  It would need to be timed though.  Of course one could also be made from a blank, but it would probably be more costly.  Might as well thread it for choke tubes too while you're at it.  It would be kind of an interesting toy.  It would be quite a challenge for dove hunting or skeet.

No way an x-frame is going to accommodate any number of 12 gauge shells, the shell diameter is too large.  28 gauge might be doable as a 5-shot.  I doubt you'd even get 20 gauge to work with a standard cylinder diameter.
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 11:27:20 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
If one were inclined to turn a Judge/Governor into an AOW, it would probably be possible to source an appropriate .38/.357 barrel and bore it out.  I'd presume that the frame threads match other models.  It would need to be timed though.  Of course one could also be made from a blank, but it would probably be more costly.  Might as well thread it for choke tubes too while you're at it.  It would be kind of an interesting toy.  It would be quite a challenge for dove hunting or skeet.

No way an x-frame is going to accommodate any number of 12 gauge shells, the shell diameter is too large.  28 gauge might be doable as a 5-shot.  I doubt you'd even get 20 gauge to work with a standard cylinder diameter.
View Quote

What's the measurement of 28ga? It only fits 5 of 500 so I doubt you get 5 28ga.
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 12:01:11 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

What's the measurement of 28ga? It only fits 5 of 500 so I doubt you get 5 28ga.
View Quote
You'd need something bigger than an X frame.  Base diameter is .689, rim diameter is .757.  Compared to .526 and .556 for .500 S&W.
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 4:11:33 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
You'd need something bigger than an X frame.  Base diameter is .689, rim diameter is .757.  Compared to .526 and .556 for .500 S&W.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The prototype Taurus Raging Judge 28g was on a much larger frame than the 410 models
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 2:48:01 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

The prototype Taurus Raging Judge 28g was on a much larger frame than the 410 models
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was Huuuuuuuge
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 4:46:12 PM EDT
[#38]
It was MBGA?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top