Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/8/2018 4:55:51 PM EDT
Can anyone here who has both tell me what the real differences are?

Aside from the $100-$200 price difference and the odd barrel on the pc.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 7:51:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Hammers and triggers are different I believe. Grips obviously....all I got.
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 1:44:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Anyone ?
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 11:56:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Anyone ?
View Quote
If we are discussing the current production 625JM vs 625PC

PC has the partial under lug the JM had a full under lug both are currently 4-inch guns.
I prefer the full under lug for recoil management but I use my 625 for competition (5-inch full underlug).  If your going to carry more than you shoot the lighter PC might be desired

The JM uses an ECM (electrochemical machining) rifled barrel the PC has a broach-cut rifling.
In all honesty I don't think you will see a performance difference, but some still want old school.

The JM will come with a wide grooved trigger and the PC come with a narrower smooth trigger
This is totally personal preference I like the narrow smooth trigger but that is just me.

The hammers are different also the PC has a tear drop shaped thumb spur and the JM has a more squared off spur.  I also believe the PC is a forge hammer and the JM is a MIM hammer but I am not 100% sure on that.  They both use frame mounted firing pins as do all S&W revolvers now.Personally I prefer the MIM parts but there is a false perception out there that forge parts are somehow better.  I could rant on that for a page or two.

I believe the PC is a shinier finish and the JM will be bead blasted.
Personally I like the bead blasted finish as it looks better with wear on it than the shinier finish but the again is JMHO.

The grips are basically the same except for the visuals.  Its a smooth hardwood grip, round butt with no finger grooves.
That was the first thing I took off my 625.  Hate that grip, hurt the base knuckle of my thumb.  Rubber grips are what you want if your going to shoot it a lot.

The PC is supposed to have a chamfered charge holes in the cylinder to aid reloading.
It does help, especially reloading fast on the move in competition, but this is something you can do yourself with a Dremel, a Cratex-wheel and a little patience if your handy or a chamfering tool from Brownells if you like to spend money.

I believe the sights on both the PC and JM are basically the same.  I think they now both use the slip in/out front sight, which is nice.
Change out the gold bid for some fiber optics!

Rambling...
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 12:05:58 PM EDT
[#4]
The chamfered charge holes make a HUGE difference, IMO.
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 2:44:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
[/i]The hammers are different also the PC has a tear drop shaped thumb spur and the JM has a more squared off spur.  I also believe the PC is a forge hammer and the JM is a MIM hammer but I am not 100% sure on that.  They both use frame mounted firing pins as do all S&W revolvers now.Personally I prefer the MIM parts but there is a false perception out there that forge parts are somehow better.  I could rant on that for a page or two.
View Quote
The PC hammers and triggers are flash chromed, but still MIM.
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 10:57:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
[/i]The hammers are different also the PC has a tear drop shaped thumb spur and the JM has a more squared off spur.  I also believe the PC is a forge hammer and the JM is a MIM hammer but I am not 100% sure on that.  They both use frame mounted firing pins as do all S&W revolvers now.Personally I prefer the MIM parts but there is a false perception out there that forge parts are somehow better.  I could rant on that for a page or two.
I stand corrected, thanks!
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 1:21:20 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm probably going to pick up a JM and have a bit of work done . Then it will probably be a competition/ carry gun .
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top