Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Colt
Site Notices
Posted: 9/17/2023 1:36:01 PM EDT
I bought a Colt competition 1911. How would I be able to tell if it was made by Colt before the bankruptcy or made by Cz after??
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 2:07:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Run the serial number for the production date on Colt's site, then look up the date CZ bought Colt.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 2:22:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: _DR] [#2]
Either way, same tooling.

Is it Stainless Competition 70 Series with the blue grips?  Been looking at those?
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 5:21:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mlin] [#3]
Colt before and after CZ ownership doesn't matter. Colt products to this day are still made in Connecticut USA by mostly the same workers. Most CZ did was supply new funds that Colt desperately needed after bankruptcy. I am sure CZ also have some input on Colt's future plans, but so far not much has changed.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 5:24:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mlin] [#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Sinister:
Run the serial number for the production date on Colt's site, then look up the date CZ bought Colt.
View Quote

Unfortunately, Colt has not caught up online SN# update for years.... I mean it, more like a decade behind. No even sure if Colt is updating that online database anymore.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 8:24:19 PM EDT
[#5]
I tried the Colt serial number sight, no joy.
Link Posted: 9/18/2023 1:11:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By mlin:
Colt before and after CZ ownership doesn't matter. Colt products to this day are still made in Connecticut USA by mostly the same workers. Most CZ did was supply new funds that Colt desperately needed after bankruptcy. I am sure CZ also have some input on Colt's future plans, but so far not much has changed.
View Quote

Seems like 3rd gen P1850 SAA production is about zero.
Link Posted: 9/18/2023 2:26:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By _DR:

View Quote

Well you can tell that Colt spent the new money on snake guns. I hope SAA would be the next they plan to revive.
Link Posted: 9/22/2023 7:37:45 PM EDT
[#8]

Well you can tell that Colt spent the new money on snake guns. I hope SAA would be the next they plan to revive.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I hope they get the SAAs  going again.

I’m in for a pair of P1870s..  

Colt is still Colt just the same as before CZ.
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 6:28:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Nra-Life-Member] [#9]
If you call Colt customer service they will tell you the production date.

1-800-962-COLT
Link Posted: 10/7/2023 8:58:56 PM EDT
[#10]
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/11/2023 6:56:39 PM EDT
[#11]
This year I bought [4] new "CZ" Colt 1911's, a blue Classic Government, stainless Classic Government, blue competition and stainless competition.

They all have the bar code etched on the frame under the mainspring housing. Not sure but I think they started doing that when CZ took over.

I have bought Colts since the early 80's and these are the best, quality wise, I have ever had.

Link Posted: 10/12/2023 8:01:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Nice Colts^^^. I really like the way the blued competition looks with the wood grips. I might have to change out my blue grips for wood now.
Link Posted: 10/12/2023 8:08:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: G21] [#13]
Thanks!

The blue grips on the Competition's didn't do much for me.

Those are Hogue Goncalo Alves on both Competitions.

They vary greatly in color, I wish the ones on the stainless were darker.

The fiber optic sights don't do much for me either, I might change them out to black serrated
Link Posted: 10/19/2023 8:55:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Either way, same tooling.
View Quote

Yup, pre or post CZ does not matter at all. Same exact guns. There have been no noticeable changes made by CZ yet which is actually a shame IMO. I was really hoping CZ would get in there and kick them back into shape but no, instead they let Colt's proven failed leadership stay at the helm

The whole "pre-CZ Colt" narrative is just some people trying to make others think that their "pre-CZ Colt" are somehow more valuable. They are not so don't feed into that BS
Link Posted: 10/19/2023 3:55:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2battranger] [#15]
Agreed! I have 2 pre CZ and 2 after CZ took over. They are identical in craftsmanship and appearance. All good. The pre-CZ bullshit is people trying to dupe buyers into paying a premium for the exact same gun. People never seem to amaze me when it comes to money.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 8:47:47 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By gojoe:
I tried the Colt serial number sight, no joy.
View Quote

e-mail: [email protected]
Page Handguns » Colt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top