Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Colt
Site Notices
Posted: 9/25/2019 1:45:56 PM EDT
Just purchased this pistol off of a local guy.   Sold off his Gun collection due to Age and Medical issues.   Sadly this was all he had left and the rest are gone.

Ran the serial number and it comes back to 1953 Production date.  It seems to be in great shape mechanically, the bore looks good and does not seem to have been fired much, shows more finish wear than anything.   I'm guessing it's due to the leather holster it was in.  My guess it it was someone carry gun, or a PD issued firearm at one time.

Been briefly looking but this does not seem to have the draw of other Colt "Snake" guns.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 3:30:14 PM EDT
[#1]
The Cobras were never quite as popular as the more hyped and better marketed "snake guns".  Your 50's Cobra is actually a Police Positive Special or "D" frame with an aluminum frame.  No high polish, no precision fitted action, nothing outstanding.  Just a standard "D" frame made out of aluminum.  With the 2" barrel, yours is essentially an aluminum Detective Special.  Because of the frame, they weren't very durable and couldn't handle a steady diet of hot 38 Special ammo and the other three chamberings weren't known for stellar knock down power either (22, 32 S&W and 38 S&W).

On a side note, Ruby used one to gun down Oswald and Phil Specter used one to murder Lana Clarkson.  Lee Marvin had two of them for his part in M Squad.

MLG
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 5:17:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the info.   It’s my first wheel gun and the price was right.  I paid $200 which I feel was more than fair(I hope).  I’ve not decided what my plans are for it as it wasn’t exactly my next planned purchase but I found it interesting and I felt any others who came along would offer the guy less than his asking.
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 6:10:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Nice. I carried a Det special in a galco aiwb holster for a while. Great carry gun. Not as robust as a j or k frame though.
Page Handguns » Colt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top