Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Colt
Site Notices
Posted: 10/16/2019 1:48:23 PM EDT
I always liked the Colt .45 Double Eagle. When they first came out didn't seem like everyone was rushing to buy one. While there are many great choices out there today, anything really bad about the Colt .45 Double Eagle?
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 2:08:41 PM EDT
[#1]
People begged Colt to do a DA 1911 for years.  When the DE came out the market took one look and said never mind.  The DE was very similar to the Seecamp conversion, which is kind of an odd duck.  Most were probably hoping for more a clean sheet design.

As I recall the initial reviews were less than stellar.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 4:05:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 7:07:00 PM EDT
[#3]
The Double Eagle series was made in 10mm.
They were made in .45, 9mm, and .38 Super as well as 10mm.

The first strike against the Double eagle was the appearance, which most people thought was butt ugly.
The second strike was that the first models retained several small springs with nothing but the grip plates.  Remove the grips and springs went flying.  This was corrected on later versions.

The major strike against it was the early version had a defect in the trigger assembly.  Pull the trigger and the action would make a "click" sound, but the gun didn't fire.

Contrary to popular opinion that gun magazines are in manufacturers pockets and never give a bad review, Massad Ayoob did a devastating review of the gun in the American Handgunner magazine that pretty much killed the gun before it got started.
Colt stopped all advertising in the Handgunner for over 10 years because of the review.

After fixing the problems the Double Eagle was a good series of Colt's, but the bad reputation and weird appearance killed it.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 8:27:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/9/2019 10:45:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

After fixing the problems the Double Eagle was a good series of Colt's, but the bad reputation and weird appearance killed it.
View Quote
That's like saying she was good looking AFTER she lost 150lbs & got her teeth fixed...…………..    

If memory serves me correctly, Sig made or designed the lower frame for Colt. It also suffered from accuracy issues as well, according to its owners.

While all mfgrs have marketed turkeys, Colt managed two with the DE & All-American 2000. The AA 2000 was made in both polymer & aluminum frames.

There was a dealer at TN gun shows who displayed an AA 2000 for sale for $700. I mean he toted that sumbitch for something like 10+ years. I finally asked him if he'd ever come down on price in order to sell it. He said no, he'd kinda gotten attached to the thing as a mascot or something.  
Link Posted: 11/9/2019 10:51:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
did they ever make it in 10mm?
View Quote
Yes.  I had one.  Only 10mm I've owned that I was glad to see go...

Edited - in retrospect - they are very rare and would be worth some money to a Colt Fan...
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 3:56:18 PM EDT
[#7]
My favorite semi-local gun store had one in the case for about four years.  Eventually the store owner died.  THe next time I visited the store I was giving his son (new Owner) my condolences when I noticed the DE was gone.  Son said his dad refused to lose money on anything he had in the store, but the son wanted to make space.  Sold it for $450.  It was used, but looked clean.

Handle it a couple of time, but always thought "I'd rather have a S&W third gen".
Page Handguns » Colt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top