Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Colt
Site Notices
Posted: 12/17/2021 11:36:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: coconut1]
Hey yall, long story short, I need help locating replacement parts for this pistol.

I was cleaning the gun, oiling and reassembling when the safety indent got free and shot who knows where.  I am trying to locate it, but it isnt going well.  I have been trying to locate a replacement online without much luck.  I was hopeful someone on here might be able to point me to a good source for a replacement.

This was my dad's pistol and with Christmas coming up, I have been thinking about him a lot and shooting the pistol frequently.  I'd really appreciate any help or advice so I can get the pistol back up and running.  I miss my dad a lot and I'm eaten up about this screw up.  If I can figure out how to post pictures again (haven't been posting much in a while), I'll post up some pictures.  It's been nice shooting it and thinking about Dad.  

Thank yall.

I have have found replacement parts here, has anyone used them before?

Jack First Gun Parts
Link Posted: 12/17/2021 11:42:29 PM EDT
[#1]
I'll be no help on where to buy parts, but I'll bump the thread and recommend a big magnet - I think harbor freight has them that are a couple feet long with wheels meant to roll around on your driveway or parking lot to pick up nails. They work pretty well.

Or clean your vacuum, then vacuum the room and clean it again, and check for the part.

Won't do much good if it ended up in a piece of furniture, I suppose.
Link Posted: 12/17/2021 11:45:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Helpful suggestions all the same and much appreciated!
Link Posted: 12/18/2021 12:25:46 AM EDT
[#3]
If you are talking about the tiny little plunger attached to the small spring that rides in the plunger tube, they should be easy to find. They are all the same regardless of vintage of gun series 70 or 80 etc.

And disassembling beyond field strip is almost never required to keep the gun running fine for decades.

The less you detail strip the better off you are
Link Posted: 12/18/2021 12:31:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By captain127:
If you are talking about the tiny little plunger attached to the small spring that rides in the plunger tube, they should be easy to find. They are all the same regardless of vintage of gun series 70 or 80 etc.

And disassembling beyond field strip is almost never required to keep the gun running fine for decades.

The less you detail strip the better off you are
View Quote

Lesson learned for sure!  I shoot 1911/2011s in competition and clean them every few matches.  I have been shooting this pistol a lot lately and figured since it was dad's I should make sure I take more care with it.  #irony

I will take a look and see what I can find.  This is more like a safety indent on the thumb safeties for 1911/2011s but looks much smaller.  I will try my spare parts and see if that works.

The stupid ejector falling down and out of place also made me nearly lose my mind.....
Link Posted: 12/18/2021 12:55:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Is this
what you're referring to?

Link Posted: 12/18/2021 1:16:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By coconut1:
Hey yall, long story short, I need help locating replacement parts for this pistol.

I was cleaning the gun, oiling and reassembling when the safety indent got free and shot who knows where.  I am trying to locate it, but it isnt going well.  I have been trying to locate a replacement online without much luck.  I was hopeful someone on here might be able to point me to a good source for a replacement.

This was my dad's pistol and with Christmas coming up, I have been thinking about him a lot and shooting the pistol frequently.  I'd really appreciate any help or advice so I can get the pistol back up and running.  I miss my dad a lot and I'm eaten up about this screw up.  If I can figure out how to post pictures again (haven't been posting much in a while), I'll post up some pictures.  It's been nice shooting it and thinking about Dad.  

Thank yall.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cP_uSws7N-8ZkF2WQOJxsZx9_Wu8K_Ao/view

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DJL221B2h02u3_rdJTr2vc57B51TZ0qO/view
View Quote

Brownell’s?
Link Posted: 12/18/2021 8:27:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: kanewtervalve] [#7]
You could probably get a spare on EbayEBAY
Link Posted: 12/18/2021 9:02:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By QCMGR:

Brownell’s?
View Quote

They will have one.
Link Posted: 12/18/2021 10:05:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SteelonSteel] [#9]
Yea I am not a 100% clear what you are looking for.

It sounds like the spring and detent for the thumb safety but my active mind is thinking maybe the slide parts for the series 80 firing pin block.  

I sold my series 80 a long time ago but that cupped block that intermeshes with the series 80 firing pin is a numbered part iirc, 1,2, or 3 if my memory is right, so kind of a fitted part I think.  

Ejector falling down?  It should be fixed permanently in the frame.  All I can think of that you may be referring to that looks like an ejector and is removable is the firing pin block actuator bar/lever (not the right name I am sure) that installs onto the hammer pin iirc.  Another lever is lower down on the sear pin.  (I had to look at a diagram to remind what is where). That lever’s function is to move the firing pin block, that button cup and spring on the underside of the slide, out of the path of the firing pin, only when the trigger is pulled.  

The actual ejector is held fixed in the frame with two pins more forward in the frame, immediately behind the mag well opening, left of center.  It may be just a thin bar or a thin bar with an extension that points forward.   Been a long while since I detail stripped one.

If you are talking about those series 80 specific parts reassembly yea, they’re a bit of a nuisance.  Btdt.  Lay the frame down on its side.  Slide parts in, use an undersized pin punch through the frame to wiggle around to line up the holes for the sear pin, the one on the hammer pin is at least easily reachable.  Holding the frame vertically and you end up fighting gravity to get the parts to be in the right spot to align them.  Some guys use a dab of grease to hold the a bit.
Link Posted: 12/18/2021 10:39:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By DVCER:

They will have one.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Brownell’s?

They will have one.

Brownells is where I started and they don't have it :/  Thanks though.  This is the part, I guess it's referred to as a safety plunger.  It definitely is not the same size as my full size pistols.

Part #28 - Safety Plunger
Link Posted: 12/18/2021 10:40:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By SteelonSteel:
Yea I am not a 100% clear what you are looking for.

It sounds like the spring and detent for the thumb safety but my active mind is thinking maybe the slide parts for the series 80 firing pin block.  

I sold my series 80 a long time ago but that cupped block that intermeshes with the series 80 firing pin is a numbered part iirc, 1,2, or 3 if my memory is right, so kind of a fitted part I think.  

Ejector falling down?  It should be fixed permanently in the frame.  All I can think of that you may be referring to that looks like an ejector and is removable is the firing pin block actuator bar/lever (not the right name I am sure) that installs onto the hammer pin iirc.  Another lever is lower down on the sear pin.  (I had to look at a diagram to remind what is where). That lever’s function is to move the firing pin block, that button cup and spring on the underside of the slide, out of the path of the firing pin, only when the trigger is pulled.  

The actual ejector is held fixed in the frame with two pins more forward in the frame, immediately behind the mag well opening, left of center.  It may be just a thin bar or a thin bar with an extension that points forward.   Been a long while since I detail stripped one.

If you are talking about those series 80 specific parts reassembly yea, they’re a bit of a nuisance.  Btdt.  Lay the frame down on its side.  Slide parts in, use an undersized pin punch through the frame to wiggle around to line up the holes for the sear pin, the one on the hammer pin is at least easily reachable.  Holding the frame vertically and you end up fighting gravity to get the parts to be in the right spot to align them.  Some guys use a dab of grease to hold the a bit.
View Quote

Thank you!  Thats good information.  This is the only series 80 pistol I have.  
Link Posted: 12/18/2021 10:41:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By kanewtervalve:
View Quote

I'll start looking there now!  Thank you.
Link Posted: 12/18/2021 10:14:36 PM EDT
[#13]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By kanewtervalve:

Here

Or

Here
Link Posted: 12/18/2021 10:32:57 PM EDT
[#14]

Brownells is where I started and they don't have it :/  Thanks though.  This is the part, I guess it's referred to as a safety plunger.  It definitely is not the same size as my full size pistols.

View All Quotes

Brownell’s?

They will have one.

Jack First Gun Parts
Link Posted: 12/18/2021 10:41:44 PM EDT
[#15]

Jack First Gun Parts
View All Quotes

Brownell’s?

They will have one.

Jack First Gun Parts

Did you see my links?
Link Posted: 12/18/2021 10:44:43 PM EDT
[#16]

View All Quotes

Brownell’s?

They will have one.

You realize this is the schematic for a .380 Mustang?
Link Posted: 12/19/2021 1:04:00 AM EDT
[#17]
Maybe this place has what you are looking for. I have ordered magazines from the once. Did not have a problem with them.

https://shop.1911parts.com/1911-Plunger-Tubes_c139.htm
Link Posted: 12/19/2021 8:38:23 PM EDT
[#18]

View All Quotes

Brownell’s?

They will have one.

Yeah, my pistol and this are basically the same pistol.  My father's was an early model, prior to them shortening the slide and calling it a mustang.  Frame and internals, are mostly the same between the two.  

The full size pistols parts won't work for this one.  

Picture of my pistol.
Link Posted: 12/19/2021 10:18:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: QCMGR] [#19]

Yeah, my pistol and this are basically the same pistol.  My father's was an early model, prior to them shortening the slide and calling it a mustang.  Frame and internals, are mostly the same between the two.  

Picture of my pistol.
View All Quotes

Brownell’s?

They will have one.

Picture of my pistol.

Your link doesn’t work.

Sounds like you have a Colt 380 government model.

Attachment Attached File

I would highly recommend cylinder and slide.

Cylinder and slide

Call them if you need to.
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 11:19:29 AM EDT
[#20]

Your link doesn’t work.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/1874/4FD79590-F62D-4C3E-A389-72FED24A27CB_jpe-2210027.JPG

Cylinder and slide

View All Quotes

Brownell’s?

They will have one.

Picture of my pistol.

Your link doesn’t work.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/1874/4FD79590-F62D-4C3E-A389-72FED24A27CB_jpe-2210027.JPG

Cylinder and slide

You are my hero!!  That exactly it.  But blued :D  Will do and thank you very much!
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 11:33:37 AM EDT
[#21]
I modified a 1911 plunger, it made the safety more positive and the pistol safer to carry cocked and locked.
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 3:50:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Surfgun:
I modified a 1911 plunger, it made the safety more positive and the pistol safer to carry cocked and locked.
View Quote

Interesting!  Very curious about that.  It's the holidays and I am sure I am not the only one missing their dad, but I've been spending a lot of time shooting and looking at this pistol thinking about him.  I'd like a project or two for it.

My father was a carpenter by trade, I am not near as knowledgeable or practiced as he was, but I have been thinking about building a display or carry box for this pistol.  More to honor him than anything, since like my dad's tools, all my guns are shooters.
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 3:52:51 PM EDT
[#23]
I just order from Jack's last week, I've used them several times.
Page Handguns » Colt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top